Pioneer PL-L1000 Lifter Problems-Bad Caps?

the final frontier
Belmont

Pioneer PL-L1000 Lifter Problems-Bad Caps?

Post by Belmont » 21 Jan 2020 17:23

Lately, my Pioneer PL-L1000 has developed a weird issue with the lifter motor. The arm has a tendency to stick in the up position and the motor does not kick on, no matter how many times the button is pressed. The arm will still move side to side with the jog wheel when in the “up” position, and the lights change when the button is pushed. Sometimes it just fixes itself, and other times I’ve been able to start the motor by reaching my hand back into the arm rail and gently nudging the lifter rod. The belt was replaced two years ago when I first got the table, so I know it’s not the issue....which has me scared, frankly.

When the motor does work, it sounds fine raising the arm up, but it sounds rather labored and seems to run on a little too long when lowering the arm. Opening it up, a few of the caps on the board (the ones at the bottom
left-hand corner of the board, in particular) look extremely suspect, so I’m going to shelve it for now and hope against hope that new caps will fix it. Otherwise, I’ve got a dying motor or IC on my hands. Anyone have a cap list for this thing?
Attachments
991785A5-1342-4447-BCC7-69B9CE25E71A.jpeg
(453.01 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Belmont

Re: Pioneer PL-L1000 Lifter Problems-Bad Caps?

Post by Belmont » 21 Jan 2020 17:25

Whoops, why did this send twice? Can a mod delete this thread or the other one?

paddypaws
England

Re: Pioneer PL-L1000 Lifter Problems-Bad Caps?

Post by paddypaws » 21 Jan 2020 19:02

Are you able to put a volt meter across the motor and see if the volts are there when the motor isn’t lifting /moving? Personally as it’s 40 years old I’d replace the caps anyway. I measured the volts on my cueing motor for my Technics SL-1700mk2 and discovered they were missing. I had a logic chip fail, not a big problem, replaced it and all was well. I replaced the caps too on my Technics SL -1700mk2 just because it’s a good idea to keep it up to spec.