PL-730 Counterweight/Tone Arm issue

the final frontier
Thehatchett
United States of America

PL-730 Counterweight/Tone Arm issue

Post by Thehatchett » 19 Nov 2019 20:24

Hey guys,

So long story short I took apart my PL-730 to fix a fluctuating speed issue. While I believe I have fixed that issue with contact cleaner I have created a new problem. My stylus, Ortofon Omega, is sticking very badly and can’t get through a whole track. I’m afraid I messed something up with the tone arm while taking it apart. I have balanced the tone arm/ counterweight and then added the recommendation tracking force for this stylus and I just can’t fix it. What could I have messed up on the interior or tone arm that would cause this?

FYI: putting a coin on the head shell makes it work as intended, I know that’s a big no no but that’s how I’ve come to my conclusion as to what could be wrong.

Thanks

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: PL-730 Counterweight/Tone Arm issue

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Nov 2019 02:03

Assuming a standard tonearm:
Turn the counterweight to balance the arm, so that the stylus hovers at record surface level.
Without moving the counterweight, turn the dial on the front of it to 0.
Turn the entire counterweight to where the dial reads 1.75.
That should do it.

Cheers,
Alec

Thehatchett
United States of America

Post by Thehatchett » 20 Nov 2019 02:26

I have done the calibration several times and set the tracking force accordingly and still no dice. Is there anything else that could be causing this.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Nov 2019 04:33

I have seen arm lifts that were getting dry, and did not drop far enough to clear the arm, causing it to hang up.
Try moving the arm back and forth, up and down. There should be no resistance at any point in the usable range. The arm bearings should have almost no play in them, but should no bind at all.

Cheers,
Alec