PL12D or PL12AC ?

the final frontier
KMN
Isle of Man

PL12D or PL12AC ?

Post by KMN » 19 Sep 2019 21:57

Hello from a Newbie to the Forum
Trying to recapture my lost (Hifi) youth . . . .looking for aPL12D on Ebay when
I found a PL12AC in a local charity shop . . . . . and then "won" a PL12D I'd bid for prior to my find at the charity shop.
Question: Which do you guys think I should keep?[/b]
(remember my ears are not as good as they were in 1973!!)
Both have Ortofon cartridges [VMS 20 E and FF15E]

Ken

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: PL12D or PL12AC ?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 19 Sep 2019 22:46

Just in case you don't get a quick response here (there are a lot of happy owners of these turntables on the site, so be prepared for an influx), according to the onsite library here, there is little to distinguish these two models. The AC model is somewhat lighter in weight, and is mounted with a J-shaped tonearm. The D model is about 1kg heavier, and came stock with a S-shaped tonearm. Not much to distinguish between them, but general consensus says the additional weight may be beneficial to playback, and the S-shaped tonearm is more or less the defacto popular favorite between the two styles. I have no experience with Ortofon cartridges, but past comments indicate most people really enjoy them on these earlier turntables. Hope this is of some help, and prepare for further input from more informed members. Welcome to the site, and enjoy the return to vinyl! 8) :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Sep 2019 00:39

I love my PL-12D II and our own DasherF just got a PL-12D of his own...I say keep both and use one as a back-up...Nothing wrong with a good Pioneer (or two) IMO...They are both fine tables! :D

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 20 Sep 2019 07:49

VMS 20E is very nice sounding cart. Aesthetically I like PL121AC more, but I have and use PL12D every day along with my Thorens 160. It came with VMS20E as well, however my favourite is ADC XLM Integra right now. I would keep both if possible.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 20 Sep 2019 13:49

An ADC XLM is too low mass to use on a Pioneer PL-12 arm. Stick to medium mass, tracks around 1.75-2 grams like the Shure M 75 EJ or similar. The arm works great with today's Audio-Technicas, especially the AT-VM 95 series.

KMN
Isle of Man

Post by KMN » 21 Sep 2019 16:33

Thanks for your advice . . . . I wanted it go be the PL12D to recreate my youth, but was wondering if the PL12 AC was a rare model and worth keeping for it's own sake .
Have just cleaned out the spindle and didn't find a ball bearing zt the base, but put a little oil in and all seems good . . . .currently listening my way through the few student LPs I kept and cursing the fa t that I sent so many to the charity shop when CDs came in.
Ke

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 21 Sep 2019 17:58

Set up the 12AC well and then sit back put on an LP and enjoy the music. Remember that this hobby is first and foremost about enjoying the music. Finding again those lost LPs too is good fun too. Take your time, learn where to look and enjoy the fun of record hunting. Personally, I have a good vinyl system and a good CD system too....sometimes what is hard to find on vinyl and is expensive , can be found on CD for not too much money ...and you can enjoy music on CD too it's not illegal.

Enjoy the hunt, stop smell the roses on the way, don't get too obsessed with improvement and upgrading....and enjoy the music and the nostalgia...recapture the sound track of your youth BUT use the maturity of the years to really appreciate what you have and strive to feel happy whilst listening....many forget this.... :D

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 22 Sep 2019 06:48

I have replaced most of my record collection I left behind 30 years ago. I amazes me how much there is to rediscover.
Not to get obsessed with your equipment is very good advise. After over 10 turntables and 50+ cartridges I do not care any more. I have two TT's(one is PL12D) in service - one in our living room, one in my studio - and I rotate 3-4 carts and I am happy.

KMN
Isle of Man

Post by KMN » 22 Sep 2019 21:08

After reading the invaluable advice on this forum I thought I'd better check if there was a ball bearing hidden in the spindle mount so
using I.M.S. (ethanol) I gave it a good shake and lo and behold released a ball bearing, all shiny and bright.
Have put several drops of sewing machine oil in, and waiting for the spindle to drop back down.
Quite a lot of suction if you try to pull it up so an excellent fit.
I cut up some foam rubber to slip inside the springs as replacements for the crumbled originals and oiled the lubrication point for the motor.
Then repeated this on the PL12 AC so will have 2 functioning TTs. soon.
As people on the forum have said, the hunt for vinyls is turning out to be an interesting pastime, but sat sitting listening is such an extremely enjoyable experience. Definitely agree. Love it.
QUESTION:
I read on here about using Lacrosse rubber restorer on the motor bushes . . . . would the Thetfords spray I use on our caravan window seals
be good idea?
Ken

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 23 Sep 2019 08:02

I believe the motor bushes are reasonably common sizes and a good DIY store could have them...That might be easier than rubber restoring which is probably a last resort. :D