Pioneer Pl-a45d runs fast with Amazon belt. Good brand suggestions?

the final frontier
never0101

Pioneer Pl-a45d runs fast with Amazon belt. Good brand suggestions?

Post by never0101 » 09 Sep 2019 14:50

Hey folks. I picked up this table for $20, came with a Cambridge audio model 2500 receiver and a set of Ohm speakers. Hell of a deal! This is hopefully going to be replacing my at-lp120 as my daily driver. I took it all apart, lubed the spindle and motor. Everything seems to be in very good and clean condition. Picked up a belt and new cartridge off Amazon.

I have an app on my phone where you lay the phone on the platter and turn the table on and it gives an rpm reading. I tested against the strobe verified lp120 and it read dead on the money 33.3 rpm on that table. On the pioneer I'm getting 37 rpm. I haven't set up the cart to play a record yet but i would assume that would be noticeably fast.

After doing some quick research apparently the belt matters, even if the inside diameter is correct. Even how wide and thick the belt is can affect turning speed? So given this, is there a brand that is closer to the original factory belt? This table has no speed adjustment pots. The one I got was "platinum power" off Amazon, and I did zero research into all of this before buying so I didn't realize it would matter, figured a belt is a belt.

How would I go about finding the dimensions of the original belt in order to replicate it with a replacement? Thanks much, any help will be greatly appreciated!

AceDeuce73
United States of America

Re: Pioneer Pl-a45d runs fast with Amazon belt. Good brand suggestions?

Post by AceDeuce73 » 23 Sep 2019 17:14

Took me a while to find the specs on the belt running my PL-A45D

burnoil
United States of America

Post by burnoil » 27 Sep 2019 20:13

The above link has the correct belt. I am using that one on my freshly rebuilt PL-A45D and it runs at 33.4. Close enough!

never0101

Post by never0101 » 27 Sep 2019 20:44

Awesome, thanks guys! Looks like I'll give that a shot. It still doesn't fully make sense how a belt would make a difference. In my head the drive wheel (motor) and the driven wheel (platter) are the correct size, so all it should need is something physically connecting the two. I would think as long as there is tension then it should just work.