Pioneer PL-J210 turntable

the final frontier
SusieQ
England

Pioneer PL-J210 turntable

Post by SusieQ » 26 Aug 2019 17:47

Hi, this is my first posting on this forum, so I hope someone can help me. I have put back together my Pioneer "stacking system" after having to store it, but the turntable won't turn. I've checked all the connections and they appear to be in the correct sockets. The arm elevation control doesn't work. When I physically lift the arm over an LP the turntable makes a sort of "clicking" noise, but still no movement. Phono is selected on the stereo tuner control. The other components - tape decks and CD multi disc appear ok. I have read some other posts on this TT, but don't appear to solve my issue. I would be grateful for any help. Thank you in anticipation. :( :?

SusieQ
England

Re: Pioneer PL-J210 turntable

Post by SusieQ » 29 Aug 2019 06:55

Replying to my own post - have done further research and disassembled the TT - belt drive appears to be the fault - well it has been in store for a few months and is old - bought circa 1992! Have contacted someone supplying belts and hoping to effect repair soon.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 29 Aug 2019 07:30

Well done sleuthing out the "defunct" belt. On a belt driven TT, this is usually the first thing to check. Hearing the click when moving the tonearm is reassuring...the electronics would seem to be okay at this point. Check any moving parts beneath the platter that may require refreshed lubricant, and give a few drops of quality machine oil to the center spindle...I am not familiar with Pioneer TTs, so not sure what the lubricant recommendations are, but that information is probably here in the library. Welcome back to vinyl! :)

SusieQ
England

Post by SusieQ » 29 Aug 2019 22:49

Thank you to you all the way from Canada for your kind thoughts and I will take your advice about lubricating the relevant parts. I only have a very small "collection" of vinyl, having sadly and/or stupidly got rid of some a while ago. This is stirring me on to build it up. I haven't yet got a reply about a replacement belt drive, but will pursue it locally if necessary. Kind regards. Susie Q.