Pioneer PL 50 skip/loop last track

the final frontier
wesalexander66
United States of America

Pioneer PL 50 skip/loop last track

Post by wesalexander66 » 17 Jul 2019 19:22

help I have a nice, new to me, Pioneer PL 50 that I just fitted a new Grado Black (Green) cart. All processes per manual (balance tonearm, set overhang, adjust tracking and anti-skate) were followed.

As the last track on the LP plays the cart skips/loop at intervals on 1 sec and will not advance. This also interrupts the auto-return.

I have adjusted tracking weight, anti-skate up/down; made sure table was level; moved the lateral balance adjustment to every imaginable position and nothing resolves the issue. The tonearm height does not appear to be adjustable and may be slightly canted towards the LP. The Pioneer manual shows a shim between the headshell and cart, but did not come with shim. The Grado manual says no shim. Thoughts?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Pioneer PL 50 skip/loop last track

Post by musicmn » 23 Jul 2019 21:20

Hi, you don't mention if this turntable has had any recent servicing. The reason I mention this is because the issue you are having sounds like the grease used in the mechanism has now dried up and turned hard from age. These Pioneer turntables use a different method then some other brands to trip the tonearm so it lifts and returns at the end of a record. But like all full automatic and semi automatic turntables if any auto trip parts are stuck from old grease you will encounter the issue you are having. The fix is to either service the turntable yourself or have someone who understands how they work do it for you. I hope this helps.