Pioneer PL 12D II always rotating

the final frontier
1970s_style
England

Pioneer PL 12D II always rotating

Post by 1970s_style » 16 May 2019 21:49

Hi, Just received a PL12D II which I purchased from ebay. It appears in great condition, although its possible the counterweight came lose in shipping and may have put a little crack in the lid front. (not structural) Shame if so as otherwise very pleased.
I have a few things to sort which I'll probably trouble you with on separate posts if I may but the most pressing is that on powering up the turntable constantly spins? I will need to inspect internally at the weekend to check lubrication, belts etc but is this a common issue and whats the most likely fix?

No stylus fitted but the cartridge is a Sure 95 ED, any suggestions on the best way forward for a stylus or cart replacement gratefully received. Was contemplating getting an Audio Technica At95e cartridge but maybe a sure 95 ED compatible stylus is a good way forward?

The little sub weight at the back of the main counterweight appears to be missing also, are these available (or vital?)
Had an Akai separates stack back in the early 80s and still run a Marantz CD40 - and Arcam alpha II and fancied reliving my youth with something from the 70s. If I can get the Pioneer working well via the Arcam I may look for a period receiver to pair with the TT.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Simon

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Re: Pioneer PL 12D II always rotating

Post by Chiltern » 16 May 2019 23:53

Welcome to vinyl Engine

The constant running is either the 'spark' suppressor capacitor has failed, shorted, effectively bye passing the switch or the switch itself is stuck. The deck after all is around 45 years old. Either, an easy fix, although remember the mains voltage here (240v) so take care.

The auxillary weight would only be required if you have a particularly heavy cartridge, presumably your M95 balances OK so you would not need an extra weight anyway. The weight often lost as not used.

pic of weight below

Alan
ASIDSCN6382.jpg
(95.11 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

1970s_style
England

Post by 1970s_style » 17 May 2019 13:19

Many thanks Alan, I will look into both of those probable causes tomorrow and check if the microswitch is connected/working and find the capacitor. Noted on the safety issue, thanks again.
I see an original used micro switch listed on ebay if that's the issue, any thoughts on this verses a modern replacement (if available?)

I'll also look at the belt/suspension. The motor seemed silent and lacked any noticeable vibration on the plus side - if only it would stop spinning!

I'll live without the sub weight then for the moment, thanks for the image. The M95ED cartridge seems like its a good start on this TT so I will research stylus options.
Simon

1970s_style
England

Post by 1970s_style » 19 May 2019 00:14

Hi, regarding the constant spinning issue. I took a careful look inside and could straight away see the micro switch hanging attached only by its wires. I also found two small plastic threaded pins in the base, lose. The remains of the pins are sheared within the switch metal bracket.
I tested the switch by pressing the switch button and that does stop the motor if held in - presumably that is what the cam does in the off position if attached correctly.
I now need to find some similar pins and somehow extract the broken bits. I'll keep you posted.
Simon

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 19 May 2019 08:54

You were lucky that the counterweight dropped off before ripping the tonearm base apart. That happened to me. Now I have this all repaired and it is my favourite TT. I would not recommend AT95 on it - this arm likes more compliant carts. Mine really sings with ADC XLM MkII. So better fix Shure M95 with new stylus.

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 19 May 2019 09:49

Simon, the pins (screws) are probably M3 thread. If you cannot find any PM and I will put some in the post.

When these decks were sold in the UK no cartridge was included, the Hi Fi press of the time recommended Shure, M75 or M95 as a suitable type. I can remember joining a long queue at a 'Comet' branch to buy a PL12D new around '73.

Alan

1970s_style
England

Post by 1970s_style » 25 May 2019 21:52

Many Thanks Alan, I ordered some M3 15mm transparent dome head screws (px-shop Brighton UK on ebay). Seem a perfect fit and identical to originals. Managed to get the old bits out by heating a flat blade jewelers screwdriver in a candle to make a recess in the plastic to wind them out. Motor nownot spinning in the off position, result.

I went for a Thakker replacement stylus for the original Shure M 95 ED cartridge.

Hooked everything up to my Arcam Alpha 2 and works really well at louder volumes except one issue which I am chasing.
There is a noticeable noise passing through to the left speaker, very noticeable when the track is quiet on TT but not present switched to CD. I'd liken it to a constant "crackling cats purr" that's not there in the right channel. The Red and white RCA plugs from the Pioneer to the amp are very prone to static noise/poor connection if moved. The ground wire is connected to the amp.

The speakers are my original Akai from 1980 and are probably very ready for replacement. So not sure if its speaker, TT or Amp related.

And Vanakaru, that's very bad luck on your tonearm base, glad your Pioneer is working well now.

Simon

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 12 Jun 2019 20:24

I can remember joining a long queue at a 'Comet' branch to buy a PL12D new around '73.
Remember the same ,but only kept the M75ED for a short while - hated it - replaced it with an ADC VLM.

Unfortunately the PL12D only lasted for 13 months before the motor bushes collapsed - just out of warranty :?
Replaced it though with a Michell Hydraulic Ref and Fluid arm :D

Thinking about it I think the Hyd Ref was only double the price of the PL12D :shock: and that kept me in music for 25 years.
(Laskys) remember them.