PLX-500 Tonearm Counterweight VTF Calibration Dial

the final frontier
NewOldVinyl

PLX-500 Tonearm Counterweight VTF Calibration Dial

Post by NewOldVinyl » 03 Mar 2019 04:50

I'm setting up two brand new PLX-500 turntables. On both of them, the black tracking force calibration dial spins very freely. There's almost no friction at all. If you accidentally touch it, even very lightly, the dial turns and then your VTF calibration setting is no longer accurate, at least according to the dial.

The counterweight itself has the proper amount of friction to keep it from turning easily.

Removing the black dial, it looks like maybe there should be an o-ring on that end of the counterweight to provide a little friction to the inner rim of the dial. If not an o-ring, something.

http://photos.xdrguy.com/i.ashx?&mid=10 ... =1280x1042

Anyone run into this before? I've contacted Pioneer support, will see what they say.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Re: PLX-500 Tonearm Counterweight VTF Calibration Dial

Post by Ghaasl » 03 Mar 2019 23:09

The black dial should spin very freely. The numbers on the dial are just a guide anyway. Use a digital VTF scale to dial in the proper weight. Digital scales can be had rather inexpensively on Amazon.

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 03 Mar 2019 23:46

A coat of synthetic grease on the inside rim of the dial adds just enough resistance to stop it from turning so easily. Issue resolved to my satisfaction. :)

I'm still interested in hearing what Pioneer has to say. In 50+ years of owning various turntables I don't think I've ever run into one like this. My Pioneer PLX-1000 isn't this way.

The problem is that the end users do not speak turntable. They don't know what turning the black dial does vs. turning the entire counterweight. They need set-it-and-forget-it, with periodic scheduled checkups by someone knowledgeable who can verify the accuracy with a gauge. :)

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 06 Mar 2019 19:06

Pioneer support confirmed that’s just how they are - very loose.