Old Pioneer PL-S30 that needs RCA’s

the final frontier
Raleighwood007
United States of America

Old Pioneer PL-S30 that needs RCA’s

Post by Raleighwood007 » 24 Feb 2019 21:18

I have an Old Pioneer PL-S30 that needs to be converted to RCA’s. I have very little experience w/Turntables But tons of experience w/ electronics, & Wiring electronics. This unit comes w/ zero outputs for like headphones. It comes w/ a grand total of 3 wires. 2 connection wires & a ground wire. I’m assuming there should be zero issue converting the 2 wires to RCA’s and just keeping the ground wire the way it is but that’s thing I don’t know. I don’t If it’s going to mess up the sound or if I need to do something different with the ground wire. Anybody thoughts or suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all of you in advance For your time and effort in helping me with this And I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: Old Pioneer PL-S30 that needs RCA’s

Post by AudioFeline » 24 Feb 2019 22:58

You post is somewhat confusing, as it's standard for turntables to have RCA leads, so there should be nothing to convert. I'm wondering if you are indicating that the RCA leads have been cut off, hence your statement of it coming with "3 wires". I'm wondering if you are new to turntables, as turntables never come with outputs for headphones.

A turntable has a power cord, an earth wire, and two RCA leads. I'm assuming you understand power cords. The earth wire is nothing special, any insulated wire can be used to extend it.

The RCA leads go to the tonearm, one for left the other for right channel, They will have two wires - one the +ve, and the insulation as the -ve. In some turntables there is a 5-pin "Din" socket on the headshell base for it to be plugged into. In other turntables the tonearm wires will be soldered to a tag strip mounted on the inside of the plinth, and the RCA leads soldered to this, or the tag strip is soldered to RCA sockets mounted on the back of the plinth. There is a difference between turntable RCA cables and normal interconnects - the turntable RCA's need to be "low capacitance". Buying "phono" or "turntable" interconnect or RCA leads will indicate they have the correct capacitance.

Another thing to be aware of. You need to plug the RCA leads from the turntable into a "phono" socket of an amplifier. The CD, Aux, Tape, etc inputs will not work. If you don't have a phono input on your amp, you can buy a phono preamp to plug the turntable into, and the phono preamp can be connected to the input of your amp using a standard RCA interconnect.

Hope this helps. Good luck getting the TT working.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Feb 2019 01:50

Yes, it sounds to me, that you have rca's with the connectors cut off. Definitely, no headphone connections on turntables.

Raleighwood007
United States of America

Post by Raleighwood007 » 25 Feb 2019 01:53

Hey please disregard this post I just found a manual for it. someone had cut the RCAs off it so there were just bare wires.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 25 Feb 2019 03:26

Raleighwood007 wrote:
25 Feb 2019 01:53
Hey please disregard this post I just found a manual for it. someone had cut the RCAs off it so there were just bare wires.
Good to hear you are confident moving ahead. Remember to use phono cables to replace the ones that are cut-off. Hope it goes well.