Pioneer Cueing issue

the final frontier
edednedy

Pioneer Cueing issue

Post by edednedy » 20 Feb 2019 07:40

Hello, I have a Pioneer PL-45D. The auto start and return works fine and I can use it manually by switching the cue lever up. Although it doesn't actually move up. Then I move the arm to the record, move the cue to down position and it gently lowers just like it should. Weird thing is, I can't raise or lower the arm with the cue after it is shut off and returns to the arm rest. The arm is all the way up due to the position of the plate under the turntable which raises and lowers the arm.

I tried to adjust the height of the pin underneath and the height of the lifter under the tonearm, but anything I do messes up it's ability to lift. If I make it so it lifts manually off of the tonearm rest, the auto fails.

Where I have it set now works both ways, but checking the tracking force with a scale or dipping it into my Onzow stylus cleaner is impossible because when the turntable is turn off I can't lower the tonearm.

Is this normal? Thanks

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Pioneer Cueing issue

Post by musicmn » 21 Feb 2019 01:43

Hi, unfortunately that is the way this turntable was designed. The cue elevator is always in the up position when the tonearm is in the rest stand. Once the tonearm moves to the record and lowers then you can raise and lower the tonearm using the cue lever to move the tonearm to the next song on a record. When ever I service a Pioneer that uses this type of mechanism I have to unplug the power cord from the outlet right after the tonearm drops onto a record then set and check the tracking force with a scale. If you don't unplug the turntable from the outlet the platter will keep spinning. And that makes it awful hard to check the tracking force :lol: I hope this helps.

edednedy

Re: Pioneer Cueing issue

Post by edednedy » 21 Feb 2019 06:54

Thanks, Musicmn. I'm actually glad. At least there's nothing wrong with it. Starting and unplugging it, to set the tracking force is exactly what I did. Couldn't figure out any other way to do it. Turns out that's the way it's done. Kind of odd. I have 3 other auto turntables and you can cue all of them from the arm rest. But I like this Pioneer, so I'll live with it. Thanks Again.