Looking for a Pioneer PL-510A or PL-51A

the final frontier
p_m
United States of America

Looking for a Pioneer PL-510A or PL-51A

Post by p_m » 21 Jan 2019 21:40

I am looking to acquire a Pioneer PL-510A or PL-51A for myself in case anyone wants to sell theirs. Let me know the details and the price. I am in USA, can pick up in Northern California.

Woodbrains
England

Re: Looking for a Pioneer PL-510A or PL-51A

Post by Woodbrains » 21 Jan 2019 23:54

p_m wrote:
21 Jan 2019 21:40
I am looking to acquire a Pioneer PL-510A or PL-51A for myself in case anyone wants to sell theirs. Let me know the details and the price. I am in USA, can pick up in Northern California.
Hello,

Why do you want a 510A? They are OK tables, but time takes its toll on these. I had one and I liked it until the speed went heywire. I guess all the caps in the servo controller went bad. Opening the thing up revealed that all the foam suspension/damping had turned to dust.

If you want a project, then I think you are looking in the right place. The DD motors and platters are fine things (the motor is also damped/suspended with the failed foam). The tonearm is nice, but not fabulous and the plinth is rather perfunctory, wood effect vinyl covered chipboard. Rumble figures when new were fairly ordinary and likely to be worse with age. I think they could be good with some remedial work and modification, but if you want to just play music, I would look elsewhere. If I could get another at the price that reflects the amount of work that would be needed for restoration, I would get one. However, the prices here in GB are silly on the usual auction sites. Outwardly they can look tidy, so the sellers aren't going to know the disaster that lurks inside. I would get something with a quartz lock DD motor for preference TBH.

Mike.

p_m
United States of America

Post by p_m » 22 Jan 2019 01:01

Well I was set on a PL-530 but the prices as you mentioned are absurd for 'popular' vintage tables. So I scaled back on my choices.
The 510A specifications and parts (rumble, motor,..) are pretty close or same as that of the PL-530, and at half or less the asking price.
Please feel free to suggest any tables that would match or better the price:performance ratio of the 510A.
Thanks.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 22 Jan 2019 07:42

Hello,

Where in the world are you and what is your budget? There are some here that seem to make it their mission to find great tables on Craigslist and other auction sites. I'm sure they will chime in at some point.

If you are here in Britain, I'm afraid sensible prices are rare. I've seen PL 12 D's go for prices over 200 pounds and consistently in the high hundreds, which is ridiculous. Only a few years ago they were 50 for good ones or less for ones that needed a bit of a spruce up.

Mike.

gramoman

Post by gramoman » 02 Nov 2019 19:40

Hello,

I have PL 510A,problem is with tuned on pitch control 45RPM(33 is ok).Is anybody help me!