Pioneer PL-518 Tonearm Repair help

the final frontier
albertca
Puerto Rico

Pioneer PL-518 Tonearm Repair help

Post by albertca » 30 Nov 2018 17:11

Working on a refurb of a PL-518 I picked up. The bit that most worries me is the rear part of the tonearm is bent downward. I did a check of the mechanicals and all seems to be functioning. I haven't check anti-skate yet. Tonearm clasp arrived busted as well as the dust cover. Shame since the turntable cleaned up nice.

Looking for some advice or direction. A tonearm swap seems a bit much here. Can the back part it be repaired? I've looked for details on the complete disassembly of the tonearm and I'm not finding any.

http://i67.tinypic.com/x1imhi.png

Thanks for looking

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Pioneer PL-518 Tonearm Repair help

Post by Alec124c41 » 01 Dec 2018 03:46

Not sure if it can be bent back up. It shouldn't affect the operation of the turntable, though
I presume that you got the counterweight.

Cheers,
Alec

albertca
Puerto Rico

Post by albertca » 03 Dec 2018 15:55

I won't attempt without some disassembly. I do have the counterweight. I'll keep an eye out for a replacement arm. Bent like that bugs me.

Out of curiosity how straight should that back part be? I was looking at some tonearms for sale and they look bent as well.

http://i68.tinypic.com/35b9rnt.jpg]

steve berens

Post by steve berens » 23 Dec 2018 03:25

dont tear it apart, you didnt even need to take it off the base. All you have to do is remove the the notch on top that the counter weight spins on . To do that . just push down on it, with a needle nose pliers or something. Insert it in the hole and pull that straight out. The insert a phillips head screwdriver #2 and tieghten the screw, then put the glide back in and your done.

steve berens

Post by steve berens » 23 Dec 2018 03:27

by the way , they tonearms you notice are not bent. Over time the counter weight adds weight and pulls it down. The rubber has been forced down or the screw in the arm has come unscrewed a bit. common issue, easy fix.

albertca
Puerto Rico

Post by albertca » 28 Dec 2018 17:43

First I wish to thank everyone for the help. I wouldn't have made it this far without everyone's advice.

@steve - this one was definitely bent. The original turntable pics show things were very dirty but in really nice condition. Damage from shipping included cracked dust cover, broken tone arm clasp, and broken feet. By broken feet I mean the plastic all busted up. Not the expected rubber damage. It might have been an easy fix but sadly the turntable had to be returned.

Seller just kept avoiding any conversation so the auction site provided a refund if I sent it back. I hated having to go that route. It's really not my way. I would have been happy to correct the issues over time.

On to the good news. I found another turntable locally. It's in need of some love but no tonearm issues. After cleaning the nicotine from the outside surfaces I got this.

http://i63.tinypic.com/vsou9c.jpg

It needs an internal cleaning, dust cover, and 45 adapter. The table otherwise is complete and unmolested. It came with the original stylus. Even the original feet are complete and in working condition. The table had a sync issue but that cleared up easily with a little deoxit.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 30 Dec 2018 16:59

That is a beauty albertca! I’m still kicking myself for not jumping on an opportunity to purchase a 518 a couple of years ago. It was dirt cheap and needed just a little TLC. Oh well. Enjoy your new table!