the final frontier
jchooper2000
United States of America

Pioneer PL-88FS drawer slow to open/close

Post by jchooper2000 » 19 May 2018 16:41

I have my eye on this on the bay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-PL-88F ... SwX7Ja~OGl

Ebay item: 222981530136

I know this is a hard question but I'll ask ... any idea if greasing would fix the problem this TT is having? At least the seller is honest.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Pioneer PL-88FS drawer slow to open/close

Post by circularvibes » 19 May 2018 16:57

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... -88f.shtml

The service manual is on VE. I haven't looked at it but I suspect it may more likely be a belt that has stretched with age coupled with some dried grease.

jchooper2000
United States of America

Post by jchooper2000 » 19 May 2018 17:29

I was hoping that it would be a belt. Maybe the motor or a gear?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 19 May 2018 17:54

Motors can get weak, but unlikely. A drop of light oil to the shaft should help. There will be gears for sure, but they will only be slow if the lubricant is sticky and old. I would try lithium grease sparingly, like a dab on a toothpick. I have had luck in the past using a silicone spray paringly as a diagnostic tool on gears, with relubrication as an end goal. There will be at least one belt. Having looked at the service manual quickly, I see a belt in the exploded diagram. It will be a bit of a puzzle to disassemble and reassemble, but if you like a challenge, it should be rewrding. As long as it still opens and closes, however slowly, it likely won't have any broken (unobtainium) parts inside.

jchooper2000
United States of America

Post by jchooper2000 » 19 May 2018 19:41

CV Thanks!!

Innov8tive1

Post by Innov8tive1 » 18 Jun 2018 23:29

I realize this post is a month or so old so not sure how it worked out for you. I just started working on one with the same symptoms, in addition to some mounting boots for the platter/motor assembly being ripped so the platter hits the chassis instead of turning freely.
The lubrication for the drawer mech. seems to have become very sticky so it will need to be completely stripped off and cleaned and new lubrication added.
I'm curious to know if you bought the one you were looking at and if so, how the repairs are going?

Lencoman

Post by Lencoman » 12 Jan 2020 16:37

Don't whether anyone is still, interested in this model - If it's of any interest, I bought one of these on ebay, with faults:
1, Drawer / slide not moving - I fixed that with a set of new belts - 1 belt for drawer drive and the other for the arm (the arm still worked, but it seemed pointless leaving the old belt in place) , plus cleaning off the old grease and relubricating, solved this problem. (Belt set purchased from ebay £4.95, Inc free postage).
2, Turntable rubbing on chassis because 3 rubber mounting bushes had perished - I couldn't find any genuine replacements, but as luck should have it, the holes in metal chassis are 20mm and standard electricians 20mm blind rubber grommets fit perfectly - I simply drilled a hole in the centre of the "blind" part of each grommet, to take the shouldered screw mounting (the 3 screws which, screw into the plastic cover of the turntable motor /rota) and it all fitted together with just the right clearance to stop the platter scraping against the chassis and with just the right amount of flexibility.

Other than a good clean, that was all that was required.

N. B. The stylus is OK, but given the replacement price is around £100, I might replace it with a moving magnet Audio Technica AT95E which I already have in my spares box.