advice on stylus identification that is on my Pioneer PL100

the final frontier
jlee964

advice on stylus identification that is on my Pioneer PL100

Post by jlee964 » 17 Apr 2018 13:48

Hi All, happy to be part of the forum.

Just picked up a second hand PL100 cheapish at a second hand store and all is working perfectly and the turntable is in reasonable condition aside from a scratched hazy cover - speed is rock solid and everything works as it should

The cartridge is a shure m55e with a stylus (unknown and made to fit) but does sounds very good to my ears. Good base and treble definition (first time listening to vinyl in decades BTW).

BTW, i checked all alignment using the protractor thing and set all anti skate and tracking force.

but can anyone tell me what this stylus is/was before it was frankensteined to fit. photo attached.
Attachments
IMG_2057.JPG
(64.05 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Last edited by jlee964 on 17 Apr 2018 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

jlee964

Re: advice on stylus identification that is on my Pioneer PL

Post by jlee964 » 17 Apr 2018 13:53

the lid was badly scratched with some deep scratches but got the car polisher out and 5 mins later looked a lot better
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
(82.72 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

jlee964

Post by jlee964 » 17 Apr 2018 13:55

the after result of using my car polisher and my car detailing compound ( had no idea it would work on this plastic but gave it a bash as i had the stuff handy)- worked quite well
Attachments
IMG_2033.JPG
(91.48 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

jlee964

Post by jlee964 » 17 Apr 2018 13:56

need to clean the platter now but no idea how to take it off as am a newbie.

Had to research how to use the protractor and set tracking weight, height, anitskate etc. forgotten all that stuff years ago.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 17 Apr 2018 14:16

That blue triangle makes me think it's a Philips stylus.

https://www.turntableneedles.com/thumbn ... 300&maxy=0

jlee964

Post by jlee964 » 17 Apr 2018 15:26

you may well be right - it looks like it has been shaved down to fit onto the cartridge and was on it to sell the turntable - it looks awful the way it is on but when i checked the alignment with those protractor thingies, the cartidge was square on both parts/boxes of the alignment protractor with the needle right on the cross part of the protractor.

just dont know if the needles is sitting properly as it is frankensteined to fit the shure cartidge.

so ordering a new needle for the shure m55E cartidge that it came with. seems pretty old the shure m55E but apparently they are okay.

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Post by Landolaman1 » 18 Apr 2018 19:29

jlee964 wrote:you may well be right - it looks like it has been shaved down to fit onto the cartridge and was on it to sell the turntable - it looks awful the way it is on but when i checked the alignment with those protractor thingies, the cartidge was square on both parts/boxes of the alignment protractor with the needle right on the cross part of the protractor.

just dont know if the needles is sitting properly as it is frankensteined to fit the shure cartidge.

so ordering a new needle for the shure m55E cartidge that it came with. seems pretty old the shure m55E but apparently they are okay.
The M55E is a very good cartridge. Very loud. If you can source an original stylus, they do come up occasionally on the bay, you'll be very pleased with the results. But there are good quality generic stylus out there. Turntableneedles.com (No affiliation) is usually a good source. Regards, Neil.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 18 Apr 2018 20:37

Nice job on the dust cover!

To remove the platter - give the spindle a tap with a screwdriver handle while lifting up on the platter. It'll likely come right off.

jlee964

Post by jlee964 » 19 Apr 2018 04:04

Neil, thanks for the info on the shurem55e. Bought an N55e generic stylus made by EVG?
am a newbie to turtntables so excuse the basic questions.

Figured better to replace the frankensteined cartridge even though it sounds quite good to my ears as no idea how old or how many hours on it

jlee964

Post by jlee964 » 19 Apr 2018 04:32

tcolegrove wrote:Nice job on the dust cover!

To remove the platter - give the spindle a tap with a screwdriver handle while lifting up on the platter. It'll likely come right off.
Great, it came off as you said. Gonna polish the edge as it's oxidised. Not sure if it should be shiny but will shine it anyway as it's oxidised a lot. Like keeping my cars clean so have lots of cleaning stuff for metals and plastic.

The dustcover was actually simple and less than 5 mins work and markedly improved the clarity to my surprise . probably could get clearer with a bit more time.

Used " meguiars ultimate compound " and an orbital polisher machine with a polishing pad if anyone was interested in what I used