the home of the turntable

Pioneer PL-5 Tone Arm Issues

the final frontier

Pioneer PL-5 Tone Arm Issues

Postby slanahan » 11 Mar 2018 19:59

So I’m new to this. I just picked up a Pioneer PL-5 used. Initially, the Start/Stop button was stuck, the turntable wouldn’t turn, and I used some CRC 2-26 lubricant on the button to free it and now the button works fine. Powered the turntable back up, spins fine, the tone arm moves over to the record, drops the needle, then picks back up and moves back to its cradle after just a few seconds. Also, the turntable continues to spin and will not shut off. Any Help is greatly appreciated.
slanahan

United States of America

Re: Pioneer PL-5 Tone Arm Issues

Postby Alec124c41 » 12 Mar 2018 14:56

The most common problem with older automatic turntables is the old lubricants. They get stiff, and must be cleaned out of the mechanism.
You can find the service manual here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-5.shtml

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby slanahan » 13 Mar 2018 03:40

Thanks. What should I use as a lubricant after I clean it?
slanahan

United States of America

Postby Van_Isle » 14 Mar 2018 07:54

I use Labelle 106 ... a light grease that is plastic compatible. Sold through hobby stores / online.
Van_Isle
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby Van_Isle » 14 Mar 2018 08:09

Also this series of Pioneer have some specific requirements for taking them apart and for setting the mechanism when putting them back together. Basically to get the turntable apart you have to remove the tonearm counterweight stub in order to get the top plate to clear and lift off. When putting it back together a spring must be set properly and actuated after it's closed-up. It's possible someone had it open before and didn't set it properly when closing it up. Service manual has the details, some good trouble-shooting flow-charts and info on lubrication requirements. Also I didn't look specifically for it but I would assume there's a micro-switch or 2 in that set-up ... could need cleaning with contact cleaner.
Van_Isle
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Return to Pioneer