the home of the turntable

Pioneer PL-112D parts

the final frontier

Pioneer PL-112D parts

Postby Beezerk » 24 Feb 2018 18:55

Hi, newbie here, I need to pick your brains if you would be so kind.
I picked up a PL-112D turntable for £40 yesterday, looks to be on nice condition barring a few wear marks. Needle is a Denon something or other but sounds fine so I'm not in any rush to change it just yet.
Started it up this afternoon and the motor was a bit sticky, oiled it and it's running much better. Anyway, it was only running at 33 rpm so after a bit of investigation I've found the speed selector arm is missing inside, the switch on the front is there but does nothing obviously. I've managed to get around it for now by wrapping tape around the motor pulley which stops the belt from riding up onto the 33 rpm section of the pulley.
So a long term repair needs parts obviously, I haven't stripped her down to fully inspect the damage but I'm guessing part are required.
Done a quick Google and found a place in the USA but that's it. So are there any places in the UK which will stock parts for this turntable?
Beezerk

United Kingdom

Re: Pioneer PL-112D parts

Postby AceDeuce73 » 25 Feb 2018 23:16

Keep an eye on eBay, parts will show up now and then. Your table has common parts with PL-115D and PL-117D models, so identify which part(s) you need using the service manual available for download from the Library.
AceDeuce73

United States of America

Postby Beezerk » 26 Feb 2018 19:58

Excellent, thanks for that.
Beezerk

United Kingdom

Postby JDJX » 01 Mar 2018 21:21

JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby Beezerk » 01 Mar 2018 21:28

Legend mate. I need to get it to bits and see if there’s any other bits missing, I need to stop using it first lol
Beezerk

United Kingdom

Postby JDJX » 01 Mar 2018 22:15

Beezerk wrote:Legend mate. I need to get it to bits and see if there’s any other bits missing, I need to stop using it first lol

Actually, I also have a 112D

I believe that arm is controlled directly by the switch with no additional linkage involved.
There is a pin on the switch that engages in the slot on that arm.

So, if your switch is in order, that might be all you need .

BTW, it's a bit strange that arm is missing... of all things.

Anyway, if that arm is indeed what you need, I would not wait too long to get it.
It's for a great price. It's $14 shipping to the UK..... but still........ :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Beezerk » 02 Mar 2018 16:21

Aaargh, the small rod with retaining clip which activates the arm has broken so the arm could possibly slip off.

This is a good view of it at the bottom middle of the photo...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Pion ... SwAPVZN1YY

Looks like I may need the whole thing, I have the chance to pick up another PL-112D for £30 and rob the bits off it, maybe sell off/donate some other parts or something.
Beezerk

United Kingdom

Postby JDJX » 02 Mar 2018 17:21

Yeah, that is the "pin" on the switch that I was referring to.
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby fscl » 07 Mar 2018 15:24

JDJX wrote:.....snippage........
BTW, it's a bit strange that arm is missing... of all things.

Anyway, if that arm is indeed what you need, I would not wait too long to get it.
It's for a great price. It's $14 shipping to the UK..... but still........ :)

Yes, it is a bit strange...... :shock: :-k :-k :-k

Just make sure that the motor pulley hasn't been switched out for one of single diameter....... :-k :-k Which also sounds strange but why else would the lever be missing ? ...... :shock:

A stock motor pulley was 2 diameter with the larger sized to spin the platter @ 45

Good luck

Fred and would / could have posted a picture of my 115 pulley but sold...... :wink:
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Beezerk » 07 Mar 2018 21:20

Thanks mate, the motor pulley is definitely 2 diameter, I'm guessing the speed arm had been removed as it was rattling around due to the fixing pin being broken as pointed out by JDJX.
I picked up the other PL-112D last night funnily enough, I'm going to rob it of parts and make one nice turntable, should be a decent project for the weekend as the missus is away \:D/
Some albums got delivered as well so happy days.
I haven't checked the diagrams yet but is it possible to remove the whole lot as one and plonk it into another body? The reason I ask is the mechanics on the one I picked up are a lot smarter than mine, but the body/surround on mine is much nicer.
Beezerk

United Kingdom

Postby JDJX » 08 Mar 2018 04:26

Great. :)

The 112D is a very nice TT
IMO, it's better than the 12D that some seem to prefer.

I would still be using mine as my primary TT if I did not get my Thorens 165.
I just have a penchant for vintage Thorens TTs and it's no reflection on the 112D. :)

.....I haven't checked the diagrams yet but is it possible to remove the whole lot as one and plonk it into another body? The reason I ask is the mechanics on the one I picked up are a lot smarter than mine, but the body/surround on mine is much nicer.....

Yes, of course, you can swap the " body", or what is now commonly known as the "plinth".
It's fairly easy.
You will know just what to do when you take the bottom off. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Beezerk » 08 Mar 2018 20:29

Ok we're rocking, after a bit of testing and swapping components I decided to transplant the new innards into the shell of the old one, works a blummin treat. I'd been toying with the idea of getting a subwoofer to boost the bass but it seems to have more than when I tried it last, really does kick some butt.
I've found out the old motor is fine, it looks like one or both of the capacitors are buggered in the old system so having a motor to sell on is a bonus, just need to properly strip it all down now.
The tonearm is missing the retainer clip as it is but I'm not too fussed, it's not going anywhere now :lol: .
What do you guys think about a replacement cartridge, I've heard good things about AT95E so was going to go down that route.

I have some pics but I cannot insert them, do I need to host them on something like Photobucket or something?
Beezerk

United Kingdom

Postby JDJX » 09 Mar 2018 02:15

To post a pic when making a post you just click on the little blue rectangle that says "upload attachment"... no "hosting" necessary. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Beezerk » 09 Mar 2018 07:05

How stupid of me #-o

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg
Beezerk

United Kingdom

Postby JDJX » 09 Mar 2018 19:24

That looks really nice :) =D>

You even have the tone arm lateral weight
Many remove this because they have no idea of the purpose of it, or how to position it.
So, they are often long lost.
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Next

Return to Pioneer