Hunt EDA Brush

how clean is your house

Hunt EDA Brush

Postby burabure » 21 Oct 2017 06:18

burabure

Chile

Re: Hunt EDA Brush

Postby vince1 » 21 Oct 2017 13:49

OMG! Thanks for posting this. Your demonstration is clear and shocking. Definitely one product to avoid. I looked and saw a thread here where someone else had issues with this brush (viewtopic.php?t=39529) so it is a bad product, not just the one you received.
vince1

United States of America

Postby Kurt45 » 21 Oct 2017 14:00

I tried both the Hunt and the Audioquest brushes (the Acoustech I believe is an Audioquest clone) many years ago, and I didn't like the Hunt. It felt stiff and didn't seem to clean the records as well as the Audioquest. I got rid of it, and I've been using the Audioquest ever since. I recently got the new Audioquest brush, and it works well too.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby sunderwood » 21 Oct 2017 14:07

I think that what is causing the swirl marks is the way he is using it. Normally you would follow the grooves, not move it around in a circle in a scrubbing motion. By doing that and with all the dust he has on it to begin with it is almost like he is sandpapering the record. You will do the same thing to eyeglasses if you try to dry clean them if they have dust on the lens.
sunderwood

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 21 Oct 2017 14:28

sunderwood wrote:I think that what is causing the swirl marks is the way he is using it. Normally you would follow the grooves, not move it around in a circle in a scrubbing motion. By doing that and with all the dust he has on it to begin with it is almost like he is sandpapering the record. You will do the same thing to eyeglasses if you try to dry clean them if they have dust on the lens.

Regardless, if a brush is capable of scratching the surface, it can also cause wear down in the grooves.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby JaS » 21 Oct 2017 14:53

Spinner45 wrote:Regardless, if a brush is capable of scratching the surface, it can also cause wear down in the grooves.

I think it depends if it's the velvet pad or the brush that is causing the scratches? I've never had an issue with a carbon brush so my thoughts are that it could be the pad, which I presume only touches the top surface of the disc? I'd want to see a more thorough look at what's actually causing the issue (the pad, the brush, the condition of each) and whether it's marking the grooves before taking it too seriously. From the title of video you'd think Hunt were selling a scouring pad to clean your records.

As for the O/P, he's a new user that has signed up here, over on Amazon and Youtube to repeat his claim which looks kind of spammy to me :|
JaS
engine room
engine room

England

Postby burabure » 21 Oct 2017 16:24

sunderwood wrote:I think that what is causing the swirl marks is the way he is using it. Normally you would follow the grooves, not move it around in a circle in a scrubbing motion. By doing that and with all the dust he has on it to begin with it is almost like he is sandpapering the record. You will do the same thing to eyeglasses if you try to dry clean them if they have dust on the lens.

I explain that concern on the last part of the video.

JaS wrote:As for the O/P, he's a new user that has signed up here, over on Amazon and Youtube to repeat his claim which looks kind of spammy to me :|

Yes, I don't like the idea of posting everywhere but I don't think anyone should pay for this product just to scratch their records
burabure

Chile

Postby burabure » 21 Oct 2017 16:44

vince1 wrote:OMG! Thanks for posting this. Your demonstration is clear and shocking. Definitely one product to avoid. I looked and saw a thread here where someone else had issues with this brush (viewtopic.php?t=39529) so it is a bad product, not just the one you received.

Thanks!, I'm happy to prevent people from scratching their records =)
burabure

Chile

Postby Spinner45 » 21 Oct 2017 18:11

I've used a simple Memorex brand velvet roller for a long time.
It's effective and never causes damage.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby Logan » 22 Oct 2017 04:43

Strange! I've used Hunt EDA brushes for at least 20 years. Not a scratch, not a mark on any of my LPs (all from highly reputable manufacturers).

And not a fleck of dust left on any LP that was carefully and gently brushed before playing. And no static surfaces. Very strange.
Logan

Postby burabure » 22 Oct 2017 05:34

Logan wrote:Strange! I've used Hunt EDA brushes for at least 20 years. Not a scratch, not a mark on any of my LPs (all from highly reputable manufacturers).

And not a fleck of dust left on any LP that was carefully and gently brushed before playing. And no static surfaces. Very strange.

I think they must have changed manufacturing in the last years, what model do you have? (the current one is the mark 6)
burabure

Chile

Postby JaS » 22 Oct 2017 11:26

burabure wrote:I think they must have changed manufacturing in the last years, what model do you have? (the current one is the mark 6)

I'm not sure how the Hunt EDA model numbering system works, but the 'mk6' has been around for at least 20 years. There was a also a mk12 which had no felt pad. I don't know if there was ever a mk1, 2 etc?
JaS
engine room
engine room

England

Postby burabure » 22 Oct 2017 14:28

you're right, they don't seem to follow the mark numbering pattern sequentially. I guess we don't have a way to know for certain which making, model or year a brush is.
burabure

Chile

Postby Steve Morris » 13 Nov 2017 13:50

I have used a Hunt EDA carbon brush for over 30 years now and never had a problem, I switch my turntable to 45rpm and gently hold the brush onto the record, great cleaning results and no crackles or pops.
Pink Triangle/Helius/Audio Technica AT0C9/Audio Research PH3SE/Audio research LS7/Audio Research D115 Mk2 /Acoustic Research AR9LS.
Steve Morris
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby burabure » 13 Nov 2017 14:12

It seems that the issue is a QA issue, so not all brushes have the extremely stiff fibers, but it seems prevalent enough since you can find many that have experienced my same issue.

they should step their quality assurance game up =(
burabure

Chile

Next

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage