Rethreading Keith Monks record cleaner

how clean is your house
Steve Slezak

Rethreading Keith Monks record cleaner

Post by Steve Slezak » 30 Jun 2017 03:07

I have a Keith Monks record cleaning machine(the original), but the little thread tube got a bit deformed before I got it. 'Any good way to get the thread through the tube...the proposed way isn't working. By-the-way, I believe it takes a 30 gauge nylon thread, but this info. is about impossible to uncover. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Steve Slezak

rich121
United States of America

Re: Rethreading Keith Monks record cleaner

Post by rich121 » 08 Mar 2019 15:34

Any luck?

Lowlander2

Re: Rethreading Keith Monks record cleaner

Post by Lowlander2 » 01 Apr 2019 15:01

Hi Steve,

if the delicate tiny brass thread tube is squeezed anywhere, you definitely have to make room for the thread before trying to insert it. From there, it's just a matter of patience, a steady hand and a pill or two.

The original thread is the "Celebrated Talbot" .30 gauge Nylon thread made in Great Britain by Worthington. You will instantly find pictures of it on Google. There even are some NOS spools from France currently for sale on Ebay.

This kind of thread was/is used for wrapping fishing rods, and the local tackle shop is where I found replacement when my KM ran out of thread for the first time in 30 years. No need to mention that my replacement thread, which is a different brand, was considerably cheaper.

Have fun,
Low