Knosti anti static fluid

how clean is your house
ayrshiredude

Knosti anti static fluid

Post by ayrshiredude » 08 Jun 2017 02:16

Does anyone know what is added to the cleaning liquid that makes it anti static?

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Knosti anti static fluid

Post by Tonybro » 08 Jun 2017 09:56

No but its horrible stuff and will cause gunk to appear and collect on your stylus - avoid.

Make a home brew solution and get far better results.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 08 Jun 2017 11:55

Frankly, I don't think it's the fluid that causes the anti-static function of the Knosti. I have never used the Knosti fluid, always relying on home-brew, and it still removes static from records.

ayrshiredude

Post by ayrshiredude » 08 Jun 2017 12:16

Ok thanks so what home made fluid do you use? I have bought de ionised water (couldn't find destilled and read it's just as good) have the isopropyl alcohol and also read a out using dish washer rinse aid. Does this work ok and what proportions are best?

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 08 Jun 2017 13:29

I use 80-85% water to 15-20% alcohol with just a few drops (literally) of dishwasher rinse aid (unscented).

Does a great job in my RCM and Knosti.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 08 Jun 2017 13:33

Same here as per previous post. I try not to exceed 2-3 drops of the rinse aid. Technique is also a factor. I spray the surface and wait for 5-10 minutes prior to scrubbing, similar to letting a pot soak before cleaning it. (ref used purchases)

Mostly the results are excellent. But cleaning cannot undo physical damage.

ayrshiredude

Post by ayrshiredude » 08 Jun 2017 14:25

Great thanks. And do you find that helps with static as well? Do you reuse the fluid or dispose of it after use?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 08 Jun 2017 15:54

My common experience is an almost complete absence of clicks and pops post cleaning, resulting in nice quiet backgrounds. Presumes the disc is not physically damaged, and the cleaning is properly executed. Switching out an old paper sleeve to an anti static sleeve is a good idea. At least for your favorite albums that may get taken out and replaced more often. Wool mats if you have one are prone to developing static. I switched my wool mat over to a rubber one, far superior in this regard. Effective static control is a multi-prong affair. Routine carbon fiber brush use helping as well.

When you see how filthy the solution can become I think this will answer your second question.

ayrshiredude

Post by ayrshiredude » 08 Jun 2017 17:04

Thanks for the advice. I have all my records in anti static sleeves and have tried cleaning some with the kosti but, even the new ones, are still crackly. So far only used the kosti fluid. I read last night about someone who washed the record in kosti first then in distilled water to rinse it off. Might try that. my player came with a felt mat but the records stuck to that when I lifted them off lol. Tried a rubber mat I have from an old player but was concerned it was thicker and wasn't sure if that could be an issue I can't change the VTF?. Read an article about a guy who tried different things and ended up cutting one from the rubbery matting you buy for cars. Seems to be ok
Last edited by ayrshiredude on 08 Jun 2017 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Vanni

Post by Vanni » 08 Jun 2017 17:07

'When you see how filthy the solution can become I think this will answer your second question'.

Well said Legrace. Will never be able to understand those who re-use the cleaning solution over and over again. I'm aware that some people will be on a budget, but then again I prefer cleaning the record/s just the one time and be done with it.

The way I see it is this. If one uses the cleaning solution of his choice just the one time, then one will have no doubts at all on whether the record needs another cleaning, because further cleaning will most likely bring no further improvement. Meanwhile, re-using the solution will of course sow doubts into one's mind, and he or she will resort to another cleaning when the record still exhibits clicks and pops. Naturally, I'm only referring to dirty records and not damaged ones. Plus, of course,only to moderately dirty ones, as very dirty ones will always need multiple cleanings.

Vanni

Post by Vanni » 08 Jun 2017 17:19

ayrshiredude wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have all my records in anti static sleeves and have tried cleaning some with the kosti but, even the new ones, are still crackly. So far only used the kosti fluid. I read last night about someone who washed the record in kosti first then in distilled water. Might try that.
Yes, you can try washing the records with distilled/deionised water after the knosti. Or also the other way round, ie distilled water first. You'll soon discover that what works for some will not work for others, and everyone has his own favourite method. But at least, nowadays we have the internet and one can google up anything, unlike the good old days when all we had was meeting up with fellow hobbyists every Saturday in some record shop and discussing amongst ourselves what success (or lack of) we had with a particular cleaning method that somebody had told us had worked for him ;)

Re. new pressings, keep in mind that brand new doesn't mean click/pop free. It has been this way since the 80's - can't speak for the 70's and earlier - but the chance of getting bad pressings back then was much slimmer. Nowadays it's a much more common problem due to fewer record pressing plants and time constraints.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 08 Jun 2017 18:24

I bought a Knosti from Kyluckyman(RIP), and he recommended this cocktail after doing his own research.
50ml of 99% isopropyl alcohol
5ml of Triton
1ml (a few drops) of PhotoFlo
Fill the rest with distilled water (about 440-445ml)

The Triton and PhotoFlo are not necessarily easy to find, but in his memory, this is what I use, and now I have enough to last awhile. It does create a few suds...not sure from which chemical. After washing, and then rinsing the tub thoroughly, I do a second treatment/rinse on the records with just distilled water.

Of course, the dishwasher rinse aid is much easier to find than Triton and PhotoFlo, and I'm sure works very well. But when I saw the subject title of Knosti, I thought of Bob and had to post this :| He had purchased on Okki Nokki to replace his Knosti.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 08 Jun 2017 19:10

ayrshiredude wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have all my records in anti static sleeves and have tried cleaning some with the kosti but, even the new ones, are still crackly. So far only used the kosti fluid. I read last night about someone who washed the record in kosti first then in distilled water to rinse it off. Might try that. my player came with a felt mat but the records stuck to that when I lifted them off lol. Tried a rubber mat I have from an old player but was concerned it was thicker and wasn't sure if that could be an issue I can't change the VTF?. Read an article about a guy who tried different things and ended up cutting one from the rubbery matting you buy for cars. Seems to be ok
With your type of cleaning eqpt I would consider a rinse cycle vital. A lot of the freed up dirt will remain either suspended or dissolved in solution. Then as the solution evaporates it can redeposit onto the surface, to a degree defeating the entire effort. A vacuum machine doesn't require a rinse step as it suctions off all the solution and the dirt along with it. But with a spin clean type device you need to manually displace the dirt containing solution. Only a thorough rinse cycle will accomplish this.

Unless you have adjustable VTA yes you want to keep the mat thickness constant. Sounds like you are on top of that.

I believe you are on your way.

ayrshiredude

Post by ayrshiredude » 08 Jun 2017 20:27

I have to say I've found the records sound full and lacking in treble after a clean. I used the kosti fluid then rinsed in deionized water/ups solution but still crackly and that's a new record.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 08 Jun 2017 20:55

ayrshiredude wrote:I have to say I've found the records sound full and lacking in treble after a clean. I used the kosti fluid then rinsed in deionized water/ups solution but still crackly and that's a new record.
Welcome to the rabbit hole. Sounds like your expectations are to the point where you are ready to upgrade to a vacuum style RCM. (much better results incidentally)