the home of the turntable

Pro-Ject VC-S RCM

how clean is your house

Pro-Ject VC-S RCM

Postby omegabri » 06 May 2017 00:14

Hi guys

I've just bought a Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaning machine (RCM).
Firstly, I have to say what a superb job it does! :D I was really unsure how much of a 'step up' I'd get from using my Knosti Disco Anti Static cleaning bath, even with a pre-scrub using a goat hair brush, but I have to say it's truly at another level in comparison. The results are astounding. Old problematic crackly lp's now have a new lease of life.
I'm no salesman, but I couldn't recommend the Pro-Ject VC-S enough at the moment.

All that being said, I did notice, after cleaning a big batch of lp's today, that the record platter disc got warm? Maybe I pushed it too far on its maiden voyage :wink:
I might try installing a couple of case fans, wired to the motor switch, for extra cooling (another project to play with on another day :wink: )

For now though, top marks to Pro-Ject for making such a great machine, especially at such a good price!! =D> =D> =D>

If anyone has ever successfully fitted cooling fans, or carried out any useful mods on the VC-S I'd be interested in hearing about it :)

Cheers all.....
Bri :D
Just call me Bri..
Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB S-Shape | Audio-Technica AT440Mlb | Vincent PHO-8 phono pre-amp
Pioneer A-300 amp | Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z headphones
omegabri

United Kingdom

Re: Pro-Ject VC-S RCM

Postby kalaur » 06 May 2017 06:24

VPI is known for a hot running motor setup. I installed a fan on mine. It gets to the point of unable to keep my hand on the spindle after a number of albums. If your pro-ject is just warm, should be ok. If its hot, may want to add a fan. Just note, that (at least on the VPI) the motor is AC, so a normal computer case fan won't work without a powersupply of some sort.

Look into getting a better brush. I use the MoFi brush, DiscDoctor sells a similar one. I use 3 separate brushes, one for 'new' album wash, one for 'used' album wash, one for rinse. I also use 3 separate vacuum pickup tubes in similar fashion.

After cleaning your vinyl, be sure to use a new sleeve, and IMO stay away from raw paper.

Have fun and enjoy your freshly cleaned vinyl!
kalaur

United States of America

Postby omegabri » 06 May 2017 09:10

Cheers for that! Good point on the AC..... I'll test mine first :)

I always re-sleeve. In fact I wash and re-sleeve before even listening to an lp on my TT.
I use the Tonar anti-stat sleeves, which seem pretty good :)

Thanks for the reply ;-)

Bri
Just call me Bri..
Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB S-Shape | Audio-Technica AT440Mlb | Vincent PHO-8 phono pre-amp
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby Shed man » 07 May 2017 10:15

omegabri wrote:Hi guys

I've just bought a Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaning machine (RCM).
Firstly, I have to say what a superb job it does! :D I was really unsure how much of a 'step up' I'd get from using my Knosti Disco Anti Static cleaning bath, even with a pre-scrub using a goat hair brush, but I have to say it's truly at another level in comparison. The results are astounding. Old problematic crackly lp's now have a new lease of life.
I'm no salesman, but I couldn't recommend the Pro-Ject VC-S enough at the moment.

All that being said, I did notice, after cleaning a big batch of lp's today, that the record platter disc got warm? Maybe I pushed it too far on its maiden voyage :wink:
I might try installing a couple of case fans, wired to the motor switch, for extra cooling (another project to play with on another day :wink: )

For now though, top marks to Pro-Ject for making such a great machine, especially at such a good price!! =D> =D> =D>

If anyone has ever successfully fitted cooling fans, or carried out any useful mods on the VC-S I'd be interested in hearing about it :)

Cheers all.....
Bri :D

Glad you are enjoying your Project RCM. I bought one about a year ago and have cleaned about 800 albums so far. It does get a bit warm with prolonged use but i have not had any problems. Great machine that does an excellent job,i could not do without it now.
Shed man

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 07 May 2017 22:11

Shed man wrote:Glad you are enjoying your Project RCM. I bought one about a year ago and have cleaned about 800 albums so far. It does get a bit warm with prolonged use but i have not had any problems. Great machine that does an excellent job,i could not do without it now.

Cheers. Fully agree Shed man, it's a fantastic piece of kit!
I've currently started the process of re-washing all my vinyl with it. It really does make a difference from how I previously cleaned lp's (using a manual spin bath), and leaves a beautiful finish on the records.
Long way to go yet, but enjoying using the machine :)
Just call me Bri..
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 07 May 2017 22:14

Leaving a little time, and having a brwak between record batches is also keeping the machine from warming up as well, so I'll not be voiding my warranty just yet by cutting a fan into it :wink: :wink: :lol:

Bri... :D
Just call me Bri..
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby Shed man » 08 May 2017 08:04

omegabri wrote:Leaving a little time, and having a brwak between record batches is also keeping the machine from warming up as well, so I'll not be voiding my warranty just yet by cutting a fan into it :wink: :wink: :lol:

Bri... :D

I clean a few at a time and find it therapeutic and rewarding.
Shed man

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 08 May 2017 15:49

Shed man wrote:I clean a few at a time and find it therapeutic and rewarding.

Yer... My Knosti disco rack safely and securely holds 7 lp's, so I've found myself only cleaning either 7, or 14 at a time now. No point going like a maniac (like I first started to...)
But it is quite therapeutic, especially spreading the liquid with a brush, and having my own little routine with it all :wink:
Plus! It's having me look through all my albums, and sparking up future listening plans :mrgreen:
Just call me Bri..
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby vinylguy555 » 20 May 2017 04:34

I just purchased this machine. There is a loose rubber pad that came with it. are you supposed to peel off the paper and stick it on to the metal platter?
vinylguy555

Postby hippyeverafter » 20 May 2017 08:47

Yes do as you have said. Just make sure the plate is secured tight to the spindle before hand. Have used this VCM for about nine months now and i am very happy with the results. I use a 1 in 10 mix for the cleaner and works for me. For your and other users info contacted Henley Designs regarding the life of the strips before changing and was informed about 100 LPs but check occasionally for wear. Have also found the adhesive on the newer strips is now better as before used to peel away and needed to push them back onto the arm from time to time so just keep an eye on that aspect as well. One more thing don't forget to clean your new vinyl purchases as well as it is amazing how much detritus can be on them then put them in new antistatic sleeves. If you don't believe me play a new vinyl straight out of the sleeve then inspect the stylus!. The only exception was my Beatles vinyl boxed set which were pristine straight out of the jacket and sleeve, Other manufactures take note!.
Project RPM5, Ortofon 2M Blue
Graham Slee Accession
Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear
Graham Slee Proprius Monoblock Power Amplifier
Graham Slee Majestic DAC
Dali Opticon 2
hippyeverafter

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 20 May 2017 15:35

Every 100 records is about right for the strips, going off how mine is lasting.
Brilliant machine. I've had great results with mine.

I'm currently in the process of sourcing the replacement strips from elsewhere. I've used 3 sets now. 4th set on and 5th set as spare. It adds up, at £3.50 per set !
Hopefully by next week I'll have secured the source for an alternative....in fact I have some samples comming this weekend!
Just call me Bri..
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 20 May 2017 15:38

vinylguy555 wrote:I just purchased this machine. There is a loose rubber pad that came with it. are you supposed to peel off the paper and stick it on to the metal platter?

Exactly, but make sure its screwed down first, obviously :lol: :wink: :wink:

Enjoy clean records from now on too! :D
Just call me Bri..
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby vinylguy555 » 20 May 2017 17:09

Does it matter which side of the metal platter you stick the rubber pad on?

Was a hexagon key supposed to be included in case you have to adjust the height of the platter? I didn't see one in the box
vinylguy555

Postby omegabri » 20 May 2017 18:16

The base platter only screws down one way. The screw head has to be countersunk. The platter base is drilled for this, hence only fitted down one way. The seft adhesive rubber then sticks to the top face, once its screwed down securely.

The platter height will be set, and because the vacuum arm slides down a fixed column you will find it caters all weight of vinyl. I have very thin records, up to 180g (and even a couple of 200g, I think??). I have never moved mine...
In answer to your question : No, I don't think that you get an allen key. At least, I don't remember getting one (unless I threw it out in the packaging! :lol: )

I use a 1:10 mix as well. It states you can use a weaker 1:20 mix, but it goes a long long way at 1:10, so why not give your lp's the best possible clean :wink: :wink:
Just call me Bri..
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 20 May 2017 18:22

Oh, don't be concerned with the motor noise!
I think its a geared motor, to maximise torque when turning. Therefore, it'll probably sound like a bag of nails - especially once you start putting any kind of pressure on a spinning lp with a brush :lol: It's fine..... :wink:

Bri...
Just call me Bri..
omegabri

United Kingdom

Next

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage