Best Vinyl Cleaning Brush?

how clean is your house
Matt911

Best Vinyl Cleaning Brush?

Post by Matt911 » 29 Apr 2017 16:51

Hi there
Got my first turntable set up, with my modest collection of 5 Records. (Thin Lizzy, Miles Davis and Led Zeppelin!).
What is the best affordable cleaning brush I can buy, that will remove dust and debris before playing? Is there any brush I can get that will thoroughly(ish) clean the record?
Many thanks!

LD100
United States of America

Re: Best Vinyl Cleaning Brush?

Post by LD100 » 29 Apr 2017 19:42

Something along the lines of this carbon fibre cleaning brush will clean the surface dust off of your records. http://www.analogueseduction.net/brushe ... brush.html

No brush will thoroughly clean your records, that's what record cleaning machines are for. :D

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 29 Apr 2017 21:55

Those carbon fiber brushes are good for getting surface dust off.
I would not pay 20 pounds for one, though.
Look on ebay for "carbon fibre record cleaning brush", you can find the same thing for 3-4 pounds. Clearaudio adds 15 pounds for printing their name on the brush. :)

For a little more thorough cleaning, and just for every day use, I prefer the Audio Technica AT6012.
Unfortunately, these seem to be a little more expensive in the UK than in the US.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 02 May 2017 00:11

Yeah, those carbon fiber brushes are just good for removing dust and for helping to eliminate any static...all before playing.

However, those two things are all important to eliminate. :)

So, personally, I sweep each side (with my CF brush) of every LP.... right before playing a side.

BTW, a lot (most all?) of the "brand name" brushes are identical, made by the same company that makes the generic ones.
As "Sunwire" said, you pay a high premium just for a company logo on it.
So, just get the generic one that looks/is exactly the same...sans the expensive company logo. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... h&_sacat=0

Anyway, "wet cleaning" an LP is a totally different subject which is a topic for another thread.
The net is also full info about different ways to do this... with and without a record cleaning machine. :)

LD100
United States of America

Post by LD100 » 02 May 2017 02:55

JDJX wrote: BTW, a lot (most all?) of the "brand name" brushes are identical, made by the same company that makes the generic ones.
So, just get the generic one that looks/is exactly the same...sans the expensive company logo. :)
Not exactly, the expensive company logo does increase the cost to offset things like advertising and packaging.

However, from experience I can tell you that yes, the same company, utilizing the same employees and the same parts manufacture the brushes, much of the price difference goes into quality control or lack thereof.
In other words, the premium brand may have for example 5 or 6 quality control stations while the "generic" brand has one (or less) and then is shipped off to the consumer. #-o

At least that was the case in the US in the 70's and 80's, I have no first hand experience with the current Asian manufacturing procedures.

It is certainly a question of "chance" and how much money you wish to spend as to which form you purchase, but it would be incorrect to think that you are getting the same quality for a drastically lower price.

Dish soap I will take my chances, but I have no desire to have little carbon fiber bristles dropping out on my vinyl LPs. :shock:

For the record I use a Decca record brush made in England that I purchased in the 70's. Still works fine, but I tend to doubt they are still made in England. #-o

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 02 May 2017 05:36

LD100 wrote:
JDJX wrote: BTW, a lot (most all?) of the "brand name" brushes are identical, made by the same company that makes the generic ones.
Not exactly, the expensive company logo does increase the cost to offset things like advertising and packaging.

However, from experience I can tell you that yes, the same company, utilizing the same employees and the same parts manufacture the brushes, much of the price difference goes into quality control or lack thereof.
In other words, the premium brand may have for example 5 or 6 quality control stations while the "generic" brand has one (or less) and then is shipped off to the consumer. #-o

At least that was the case in the US in the 70's and 80's, I have no first hand experience with the current Asian manufacturing procedures.

It is certainly a question of "chance" and how much money you wish to spend as to which form you purchase, but it would be incorrect to think that you are getting the same quality for a drastically lower price.

Dish soap I will take my chances, but I have no desire to have little carbon fiber bristles dropping out on my vinyl LPs. :shock:

For the record I use a Decca record brush made in England that I purchased in the 70's. Still works fine, but I tend to doubt they are still made in England. #-o

LOL, do you honestly think that the ones with a logo get a better inspection or QQ?
The only additional QQ is to make sure the logo prints cleanly. :)
It's a simple brush in a simple handle.

BTW, how "little" do you think the carbon fibers are?
You could throw a whole handful of them on an LP and not one will get stuck in a groove. :)

LD100
United States of America

Post by LD100 » 02 May 2017 06:08

JDJX wrote:
LOL, do you honestly think that the ones with a logo get a better inspection or QQ?
The only additional QQ is to make sure the logo prints cleanly. :)
It's a simple brush in a simple handle.

BTW, how "little" do you think the carbon fibers are?
You could throw a whole handful of them on an LP and not one will get stuck in a groove. :)
Sorry, I was merely stating facts from first hand experience in past manufacturing procedures in the USA.

Regarding the size of carbon fibers, I don't recall anyone saying they would get stuck in a groove. [-X

Personally I would not want any debris on the surface of my vinyl records that I can clean away, but that is just my opinion.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 02 May 2017 18:32

I'm surprised no one ever mentions the tacky rollers in these discussions. I use one made by Tonar to get the last bit of dust off my records AFTER using a brush. The brush creates a little line of dust, and then I roll the tacky roller across the grooves (not with the grooves) to get that last bit up. There is no adhesive on these rollers (Nagaoka makes one as well), but rather a type of soft rubber that stays tacky. They can be rinsed to remove buildup and rejuvenate the tackiness.

Matt911

Post by Matt911 » 02 May 2017 18:34

Thanks for all the advice!
I have found a Thakker basic brush with good reviews for £6. There is also a Thakker twin brush for £12, and as far as I understand this has a velvet pad and carbon fibre brush? If this is correct, would that be the way to go?
Currently I am using a velvet pad, but it doesn't seems to get all of the visible dust off.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 02 May 2017 20:45

I have two Discwasher brushes, one old and worn and another newer one in better condition.
And I have the Audio Technica AT-6012.
And I have a few of the carbon fiber brushes like the Audioquest one.
If the record is basically clean and just has a little dust or cat hair that's fallen on it, I just used the carbon fiber brush. That's all you need.
If the record is a new purchase (all my "new purchases" are used records) and it's really dirty, I will start with my old Discwasher brush and my DIY record cleaning solutions using water, isopropyl alcohol, and Ilfotol wetting agent (very mild detergent).
Once I've gotten the worst grunge off, I'll go to my newer Discwasher brush or the AT-6012.
After that, I just use the carbon fiber brush the next time I play the record.
If I was starting fresh and only wanted one brush, I'd get the AT-6012.
If I wanted two brushes, I'd add the carbon fiber.
If I wanted something for really grungy records, I'd probably get a second AT-6012.
You can use fluid with the AT-6012, either right on the bristles to dissolve grunge, or a few drops inside the handle just to humidify the brush for static reduction.
I think it's the most versatile brush and it's not too expensive.
I just looked at prices for DiscWasher brushes on ebay and they are cheaper than I thought.
The ones I have I've owned for 30-40 years. I don't know if the new ones are the same. But if they are, $11 including shipping is a pretty good deal.

LeonW

Post by LeonW » 02 May 2017 22:00

£20 for a CF brush :O

HMV have Hama ones in for about £7. ;)

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 02 May 2017 22:52

I've used some of the cheaper carbon brushes. Bristles were too thick and much too stiff. Chucked them in the trash. I'm ok with a $20 brush that will be used for years and years.

I'd probably pony up the $20 and buy the new audioquest brush that actually has the bristles grounded to the metal in the handle (black and gold colored brush). Keep one hand on something metal thats grounded, and brush the album. Gets rid of static, and dust in one swoop.

The brushes won't leave a line of dust. Start with the brush at the spindle on the left side, slowly pull it towards you. Some of the dust will fall off the platter to the plinth, some will be stuck to the brush. Swipe the cover back and forth over the bristles a few times to clean it off, and you're good to go.

Matt911

Post by Matt911 » 03 May 2017 07:43

This is what i am looking at Antistatic-carbon-Record-Cleaning/dp/B01D3ZT3II.

Thakker make belts and styli i believe. Will this brush be a antistatic, do when you touch the metal it discharges the static?
I am looking up the at6012

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 03 May 2017 16:02

Your link didn't work, but I presume you're looking at this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thakker-Antist ... B01D3ZT3II

All of the 'antistatic' carbon brushes I've used have *not* had the carbon bristles electrically connected to the metal handle. I suspect the one you're looking at is the same way. This is what the new audioquest brush fixes. This is the brush - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUDIOQUEST-ASR ... B06XK9V3KB

Matt911

Post by Matt911 » 03 May 2017 17:59

Ok great, thanks again for all the advice.
The at6012 is £18 and audioquest CF brush is £16, so not a whole lot in it money wise.
Will the at6012 still remove surface dust as well as a carbon fibre brush would? So will it act as a CF brush to remove static and surface dust, and as a wet thorough cleaning method?
Thanks again!