Best antistatic?

how clean is your house
ilyavictoria

Best antistatic?

Post by ilyavictoria » 20 Apr 2017 22:39

What is the best commercially available permanent/long lasting antistatic treatment?

eryoung2k

Re: Best antistatic?

Post by eryoung2k » 21 Apr 2017 02:15

ilyavictoria wrote:What is the best commercially available permanent/long lasting antistatic treatment?
Truthfully a humid climate!! Here in the dry North East. My weapons are, A good Anti Static carbon fiber brush and a good rubber platter mat(stay away from felt and cork mat!!) and good Anti static inner sleeves Mobil Fidelity are good). Give the LP a gentle brushing with your Carbon Fiber brush on your TT before each play. That's what I do and things have been better.

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 21 Apr 2017 02:49

You might not have to do any of these if record is clean and antistatic.
The question is what would work best.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Apr 2017 04:11

Also, if you want to reduce the dust and particles in a room, invest in a good air purifier! I bought a cheap thrift store Oreck for this very purpose, and clean the filter on a regular basis...It was under $10, and it works a treat! :D

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 21 Apr 2017 05:12

While humidity is a big factor, my wet cleaning fluid includes Ilfotol, a photographic chemical that reduces static on negatives. I also have a dryer sheet under my rubber platter mat. I heard it works, but can't be sure. grounding oneself before touching vinyl or electronics also helps. I have wall to wall carpeting in my apartment(not my choice) so I battle static all winter myself.

readargos

Post by readargos » 21 Apr 2017 20:26

I think both the Mobile Fidelity fluids and L'Art du Son are anti-static. Then storing the LPs in anti-stat sleeves, like the MoFi. Avoid over-vacuuming if you use a vacuum.

I really haven't had great luck with the Zerostat gun or carbon fiber brushes.

nopiano
Wales

Post by nopiano » 22 Apr 2017 12:44

Good question! I'm not sure there is any treatment that claims any degree of permanence. If they did, they'd be out of business!

Personally, I'm in the 'less is more' camp, and would always avoid any cleaning, or get a professional clean, such as on a Keith Monks machine. I favour local humidity if that's not a feature of your climate. Indoor plants, and even a dish of water with a small sponge (to promote evaporation) near your record player.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 22 Apr 2017 17:27

Gruv Glide is probably one of the more long-lasting options. It's also marketed as a cleaner, and I don't think it's a particularly good one, but when applied to a record that has already been thoroughly cleaned, it definitely removes static and keeps static away for quite a while.

A less-permanent option that's also a lot less expensive than Gruv Glide is Pfanstiehl Pfan-Stat. I use it mostly for removing light surface dust, but it also helps with static and the anti-static effect seems to last for two or three plays.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 24 Apr 2017 09:49

The best antistats are quaternary ammonium compounds, the same as those used to treat surfaces in hospitals, manufacturing facilities and electronics clean rooms. The same as those found in dryer sheets, Staticguard sprays, and hair conditioners. The same as used to manufacture antistatic record sleeves. That is one reason why I include a quat surfactant in my wash solution and have zero issues with static, despite living in a very dry climate. Another benefit is they have antimicrobial properties.

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 25 Apr 2017 03:18

Anything good that one can buy?

eryoung2k

Post by eryoung2k » 25 Apr 2017 18:49

BMRR wrote:Gruv Glide is probably one of the more long-lasting options. It's also marketed as a cleaner, and I don't think it's a particularly good one, but when applied to a record that has already been thoroughly cleaned, it definitely removes static and keeps static away for quite a while.

A less-permanent option that's also a lot less expensive than Gruv Glide is Pfanstiehl Pfan-Stat. I use it mostly for removing light surface dust, but it also helps with static and the anti-static effect seems to last for two or three plays.
So I purchased some Pfan-Stat from Amazon and I can say it does work for static!! thank you very much for mentioning this stuff. It is cheap in price also!! I will definitely keep this in my arsenal! It did help in quoiting down a couple of my noisier albums that I have cleaned and cleaned and quadrupole rinsed (with distilled water) trying to knock out the noise. Always learning something new

Take care,
Eddie

readargos

Post by readargos » 25 Apr 2017 22:55

ilyavictoria wrote:Anything good that one can buy?
Yes. As mentioned, the MoFi fluids - I'm pretty sure these have the properties vince1 describes. Also, L'Art du Son, which is a little different style of cleaner. You can also use 2-in-1 shampoo & conditioner and do it ghetto-style (there is a long thread here, "Do Not Read Unless You Want Longer Stylus Life...").

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 26 Apr 2017 01:19

I do a cleaning on my VPI, a wipe down with a quality mirco-fiber cloth and play. They are always stored in a MoFi anti-static sleeve. A carbon Fiber brush before playing the next time its out of the sleeve.
Mike M

tom6to1
Canada

Post by tom6to1 » 28 Apr 2017 21:07

Some discussion of this in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=94782&start=15

What you can buy for "quats" as per Vince1 depends on where you live. Fairly easy in the US. Tougher in Canada or Britain from discussions in various threads. Hepastat is (or was) available in the USA and is an anti-bacterial cleaner. In Canada, I have found there are pool algaecides sold through Canadian Tire and Home Depot that appear to be nothing but quats in water with maybe some coloring that can be used (and a bottle will last you multiple lifetimes as you only need drops per litre for record cleaning). You can use quats in a general record cleaning compound to prevent static. If static is a problem at play-time, and if you already clean before playing, maybe try a solution of 5-10% isopropyl alcohol, 1% or less of a quat, and the rest distilled water. Used with a Discwasher or similar brush you should have success, but I will admit to not adding a quat to my just-before-play cleaning mix yet as I don't have a static problem. YMMV.

mrdave45

Post by mrdave45 » 17 May 2017 13:11

ive just received a batch of nagaoka 102 sleeves and theres a ton of static on them. Took the one off the top and you could feel it on the outside and opening it up and you can feel the static clamping the sides shut around your hand. Surely thats not right?