the home of the turntable

How much Ilfotol Wetting Agent to add?

how clean is your house

How much Ilfotol Wetting Agent to add?

Postby eryoung2k » 20 Mar 2017 19:42

Ok making my own record cleaning solution. Picked up a couple of squirt bottles that hold 12oz. Going to use 1 for the final distilled water rinse then vacuum it out/off (Vinyl Vac). How much Ilfotol should I add to my 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (that's the highest % I could find) and distilled water mix? Any input would be appreciated. I've got a 1st pressing of Steppenwolf 1st album that looks super clean and no scratches but is extremely noisy (snap crackle pop) Going to be making 12oz batches at a time. I use the Vinyl Vac way of cleaning my Albums. Home made Lazy Susan turntable, Paint edging brush (short soft bristles)I can't afford the nice Machines out there as of yet. Again any input would be appreciated.

Thank you and take care,
Eddie
eryoung2k

United States of America

Re: How much Ilfotol Wetting Agent to add?

Postby drywhitetoast » 20 Mar 2017 23:32

5ml per 1 litre.
0.2oz per quart.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Martin Luther King, Jr.
drywhitetoast

Canada

Postby eryoung2k » 20 Mar 2017 23:34

Thank you!!!!
eryoung2k

United States of America

Postby vince1 » 21 Mar 2017 04:12

Hmm. If it is 1-5% detergent as stated in the MSDS, and you do a 1:200 dilution (5 ml in 1000), the result is 0.005 to 0.025% detergent which may be below the critical micelle concentration. Hence, I have to ask, is this dilution recommended based on practice or is there experimental evidence that supports it?
vince1

United States of America

Postby drywhitetoast » 21 Mar 2017 04:23

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Martin Luther King, Jr.
drywhitetoast

Canada

Postby vince1 » 21 Mar 2017 10:44

Thanks for the link, but it is interesting to see how people fail to realize that this "wetting agent" is simply a non-ionic detergent. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy the 100% concentrate of Tergitol 15-S-9 (or Triton X-100 as a substitute), the same ethoxylate detergent that is found diluted in the Ilfotol. That way concentrations can be adjusted higher and at significantly less cost. For the hand cleaning with the paint pad method mentioned above, I would recommend 0.1% detergent so you get good micelle formation and more effective cleaning. Follow with two distilled water rinses.
vince1

United States of America

Postby eryoung2k » 21 Mar 2017 14:24

Thanks guys, It's funny just when you think you got it (me) I read about a better way to clean my records. I tried cleaning this Steppenwolf album my old way (didn't sound any better). But have been reading about adding Ilfotol (should be here this Friday) into the mix. And now Tergitol 15-S-9. This "hobby" is becoming a major addiction!!! LOL Just looking to improve my cleaning solution. It is very dry here in the North East I always use a Audio Technica "anti static" Carbon Fiber brush before dropping the needle when playing an album.

Again thank you and take care,
Eddie
eryoung2k

United States of America

Postby vince1 » 21 Mar 2017 21:51

Ha...and we haven't even talked about adding quaternary ammonium surfactants to your mix to deal with your static issues! Anyways, it doesn't have to be complicated Eddie, Ilfotol works fine...the pure detergent concentrates just save you a lot of money.
vince1

United States of America

Postby eryoung2k » 21 Mar 2017 23:49

Ok would you still add a few drops of dawn dish liquid to the mix seeing i'm going to be using Ilfotol? That's my last question on this subject I promise!!!!

Take care and thank you
Eddie
eryoung2k

United States of America

Postby vince1 » 22 Mar 2017 00:23

No. As mentioned, the Ilfotol has the detergent needed. It is non-ionic. Dawn contains SDS, an anionic detergent. The use of SDS can lead to issues with static. That's why the Library of Congress and so many others recommend non-ionic detergents. The only problem you have is the Ilfotol is very dilute. I would use use 2x-5x more than the Londonjazz recipe.
vince1

United States of America

Postby eryoung2k » 22 Mar 2017 00:28

vince1 wrote:No. As mentioned, the Ilfotol has the detergent needed. It is non-ionic. Dawn contains SDS, an anionic detergent. The use of SDS can lead to issues with static. That's why the Library of Congress and so many others recommend non-ionic detergents. The only problem you have is the Ilfotol is very dilute. I would use use 2x-5x more than the Londonjazz recipe.

Got it!! Learning the new (to me) terminology with the chemicals. Thank you very much Vince. Looking forward to trying the new mix.

-Eddie
eryoung2k

United States of America

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage