the home of the turntable

Cleaning Records

how clean is your house

Cleaning Records

Postby knorr1027 » 11 Jan 2017 02:52

Does anyone clean their records each time they play them? I have a DIY setup with my homemade cleaning solution, a paint edger and microfiber cloths. I have made it a habit to clean my records every time I play them. I'm just wondering if this is good for the records. Thanks.
knorr1027

United States of America

Re: Cleaning Records

Postby Poinzy » 11 Jan 2017 16:02

knorr1027 wrote:Does anyone clean their records each time they play them? I have a DIY setup with my homemade cleaning solution, a paint edger and microfiber cloths. I have made it a habit to clean my records every time I play them. I'm just wondering if this is good for the records. Thanks.

Most of the time I just use a sable brush. I might use a microfiber cloth with it occasionally. If I use a liquid, it's mostly just distilled water.

I don't have any problem using any of the above anytime I feel like it. I wouldn't use any solution with alcohol in it every time I wanted to clean my vinyl, though.
Poinzy

United States of America

Postby m_neveux » 11 Jan 2017 21:55

I use a Spin Clean first time on used or new and then use a carbon fiber brush before every play.
m_neveux

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 11 Jan 2017 23:48

m_neveux wrote:I use a Spin Clean first time on used or new and then use a carbon fiber brush before every play.

I'm with you on the Spin-Clean and carbon fiber brush as a simple solution to the problem...The dirtier records may need more attention, but since most of the records I have are in VG+ to NM condition, it's not much of an issue...The thrift store finds, though, can be a different story, but nothing insurmountable with a little patience...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Peter Galbavy » 12 Jan 2017 10:20

I clean all my records prior to playing them, new or old. They (or rather the covers) are then labelled with a sticker which includes the cleaning date.

When playing I may use a brush or blow air over the surface to move cat hair (!) and dust but I have too many records to worry about overplay but if I notice any visual dust or hear noises I don't expect I can run it through the RCM and update the date on discogs (where it is in a custom field) but I have not yet re-printed a label, ever.
Peter Galbavy

United Kingdom

Postby Kyluckyman » 21 Jan 2017 06:55

I enjoy cleaning my records on the Okki before I play them. It is another step in the ritual. They sound better to my ear and the cleaning seems to help reduce the pops and clicks heard on some of the older, harder partied records.
Kyluckyman

United States of America

Postby Kyluckyman » 27 Jan 2017 21:21

I hear some improvement in my older albums with each cleaning. The pops and clicks seem to go away a little more each time.

I bought Santana's Abraxas used last Summer and at the start there was a lot of noise. I cleaned it twice with my Knosti and now twice with the Okki. It sounds much better with the reduction of surface noise.

I think the improvement most records see after a good cleaning is almost addictive.
Kyluckyman

United States of America

Postby Melos Antropon » 27 Jan 2017 23:08

I use the original DiscWasher system, and still have my original (1982) DiscWasher brush in very good condition. I make the cleaning fluid as close to their original recipe as I can at home, and have excellent results. And I clean a side EVERY time I play it, even if I last cleaned it just yesterday.

Tony
Melos Antropon

United States of America

Postby BMRR » 28 Jan 2017 01:36

When I acquire new records, whether they're brand new or preowned, I give them a thorough deep cleaning (which now incorporates the usage of a VinylVac).

Once they've been deeply cleaned, I do my best to keep them clean by keeping the turntable's dustcover closed during playback and by replacing paper inner sleeves with plastic inner sleeves.

To remove light surface dust or the occasional fingerprint on these records that have been deeply cleaned, I use an Audio-Technica Sonic Broom record brush moistened with a couple of spritzes of Pfan-Stat.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Reidbo » 28 Jan 2017 03:57

Melos - I also use my old Discwasher system from the 70's. It was packed away for 30 years and is still in great condition. I even have the zerostat gun and use that on occasion. You mentioned that you make your own cleaning solution that is similar to the old fluid. Would you mind sharing that recipe? Thanks.
Reidbo

United States of America

Postby Melos Antropon » 28 Jan 2017 15:07

Reidbo wrote:Melos - I also use my old Discwasher system from the 70's. It was packed away for 30 years and is still in great condition. I even have the zerostat gun and use that on occasion. You mentioned that you make your own cleaning solution that is similar to the old fluid. Would you mind sharing that recipe? Thanks.

Sure. Nineteen parts distilled water. One part of 91% isopropyl alcohol, and a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid (yes, just one or two drops). "Dawn" is said to be the most preferred for this purpose. 91% Isopropyl is available in any pharmacy. Do NOT use the "70% rubbing alcohol" you can buy in any supermarket. That has glycerin in it.

The tiny bit of dishwashing liquid is a surfactant. This is all very similar to the original DiscWasher formula, though I have read that the original DiscWasher formula had only 1% alcohol - my solution is 5% alcohol.

Tony
Melos Antropon

United States of America

Postby BMRR » 28 Jan 2017 15:58

Another good option for folks who are willing to pay a little extra for convenience is Pfan-Stat. I've heard that it's very similar to the Discwasher D3 formula (which was supposed to be vastly better than D4 or the currently available D4+).

It can be found here:

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ord%20Care

The spray bottle is nice because it puts out a very fine mist that evenly covers the surface of the Discwasher.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Reidbo » 29 Jan 2017 02:14

Thanks for the info Tony. I brewed up a batch today.
Reidbo

United States of America

Postby drywhitetoast » 29 Jan 2017 17:52

Melos Antropon wrote:I use the original DiscWasher system, and still have my original (1982) DiscWasher brush in very good condition. I make the cleaning fluid as close to their original recipe as I can at home, and have excellent results. And I clean a side EVERY time I play it, even if I last cleaned it just yesterday.

Tony

We are one brother.
I even have the same box that I gently place my Discwasher back into and it is a nice continuity from the old days.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Martin Luther King, Jr.
drywhitetoast

Canada

Postby Nmstodd » 21 Feb 2017 23:21

Melos, et al., I also have a Discwasher I've pulled out of hibernation from the '70's. My D4 solution is exhausted and I appreciate the formula for mixing homemade brew.

Walter Q ( I think he passed away, checked FB) posted something on Vinylengine in 2009 that was interesting....(let me know what you think of his recipe?)

Hi all! new member but an old hand at vinyl...

a little background:
I own Brass City Records in Waterbury CT...been in business for 28 years in the shop and 7 years before that at record fairs and shows....but enough of that

many years ago when I was 18 I went to England for holiday. Really interesting seeing stonehenge (when you could actually touch the stones) but a highlight for me was visiting the Watts factory....Watts made the top of the line record cleaning products in the day, still have my Watts Parastat...circa 1968 and I just had to make time for that part odf the trip. 'course the people at the factory thought I was a bit "off", after all what kid takes time on vacation to visit a factory. They were very gracious, showing me around the place and taking me out for lunch at a nearby pub. I had a great time and was able to ask a lot of questions...prime on my list was why they never made a record cleaning solution. The gentleman I was with basically said..."why bother, you can make your own from common ingredients found at any chemists" and proceeded to give me a formula for making my own...

80% distilled water...for suspension agent
20% isopropyl alcohol for drying agent...use 91% with no aromatic agent
2 drops of photographic wetting agent...basically am extremely mild "soap" used to wash photographic negatives-just a little bit to cut fingerprint oils

When I got home I collected the ingredients and started to "roll my own" the small bottle of wetting agent lasted me for close to ten years...
Nmstodd

United States of America

Next

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage