the home of the turntable

Cleaning Records

how clean is your house

Cleaning Records

Postby knorr1027 » 11 Jan 2017 02:52

Does anyone clean their records each time they play them? I have a DIY setup with my homemade cleaning solution, a paint edger and microfiber cloths. I have made it a habit to clean my records every time I play them. I'm just wondering if this is good for the records. Thanks.
knorr1027

United States of America

Re: Cleaning Records

Postby Poinzy » 11 Jan 2017 16:02

knorr1027 wrote:Does anyone clean their records each time they play them? I have a DIY setup with my homemade cleaning solution, a paint edger and microfiber cloths. I have made it a habit to clean my records every time I play them. I'm just wondering if this is good for the records. Thanks.

Most of the time I just use a sable brush. I might use a microfiber cloth with it occasionally. If I use a liquid, it's mostly just distilled water.

I don't have any problem using any of the above anytime I feel like it. I wouldn't use any solution with alcohol in it every time I wanted to clean my vinyl, though.
Null-point alignment theory merely lays the groundwork for tests that never occurred.
A sure-fire cure for inner-groove distortion: a CD player.
Poinzy

United States of America

Postby m_neveux » 11 Jan 2017 21:55

I use a Spin Clean first time on used or new and then use a carbon fiber brush before every play.
McIntosh Mac 1900 Receiver / Audio Technica AT-LP120 Turntable / Emotiva ERC-3 CD Player & Transport
Bic America RTR-EV15 Speakers / Bic America RTR-EV1200 Subwoofer / Sennheiser HD-600 Headphones
m_neveux

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 11 Jan 2017 23:48

m_neveux wrote:I use a Spin Clean first time on used or new and then use a carbon fiber brush before every play.

I'm with you on the Spin-Clean and carbon fiber brush as a simple solution to the problem...The dirtier records may need more attention, but since most of the records I have are in VG+ to NM condition, it's not much of an issue...The thrift store finds, though, can be a different story, but nothing insurmountable with a little patience...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Peter Galbavy » 12 Jan 2017 10:20

I clean all my records prior to playing them, new or old. They (or rather the covers) are then labelled with a sticker which includes the cleaning date.

When playing I may use a brush or blow air over the surface to move cat hair (!) and dust but I have too many records to worry about overplay but if I notice any visual dust or hear noises I don't expect I can run it through the RCM and update the date on discogs (where it is in a custom field) but I have not yet re-printed a label, ever.
Peter Galbavy

United Kingdom

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage