Cleaning moldy records?

how clean is your house
vince1
United States of America

Re: Cleaning moldy records?

Post by vince1 » 10 Dec 2016 23:28

Nothing on there about containing ammonia. In any event, do not use it if you don't understand what it is and does. I'd recommend that of any cleaning formulation or personal product. If you really want to be careful, make sure you use a respiratory mask and have a fire extinguisher and emergency eye wash ready, as recommended, whenever you use Spinclean fluid: https://spincleanrecordwasher.com/image ... -26-15.pdf Lol.

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 11 Dec 2016 00:45

I've been searching for this Hepastat in the UK without success. We have Staples here but they don't seem to sell this. Is this available under a different name?

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 11 Dec 2016 02:16

The generic name is Lonza formulation r-82. It might only be available in the USA. Try a Janitorial supply house for quat cleaners. As mentioned, almost all manufacturers make them. In the US, similar formulations are made by 3M, Lysol, Chlorox, and Zep. You should be able to find Pfan-Stat in the UK. It is the same formulation, except diluted 10-fold and made specifically for records (so you pay a little more for it). Either way, you want to let it sit on the record for at least 10 minutes to kill the molds and remove the spores. Follow with a dH2O rinse.

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 13 Dec 2016 01:04

Thanks Vince for the pointers.

I've searched for quat cleaners in retail sites but came up empty. I found plenty of disinfectants but are mostly perfumed so no good. Also searched on ebay but only found from US sellers. There's this chemical retail site APC Pure and the nearest equivalent is perhaps Ammonia solution https://apcpure.com/product/ammonia_solution_24_5_25_5. I assume this is not the same thing.

I can only guess that maybe quat cleaners in the UK are not available to the public. Hope someone else have more luck.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 13 Dec 2016 02:44

No, Spikes, that ammonia solution is definetly NOT the same thing and NOT recommended for record cleaning. I'm sorry you are having a hard time locating suitable reagents. If I were in the UK, I could be more helpful, but availability varies all over: our wonderful US neighbors in Canada have a hard time finding some of these quats while just across the border they can buy any variety of them at the local janitorial supply house. My only advice is to keep your eyes open. At least you know what you are looking for and you never know where or when you might find it (Universities, cosmetic supply houses, on-line janitorial distributors, hospital suppliers, technology providers, suppliers to the printing industry, commercial food industry suppliers, etc). My first recommendation would be to go to your local hospital and ask the janitor what they clean with. At the very least, you'll meet a great, interesting, dedicated person!

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 14 Dec 2016 00:41

No problem, you've already been very helpful in the pass with your ideas. Based on your recommendation, I'm now a convert after trying Triton x-100 and can't believe how inexpensive this is and wasted so much money on expensive so called miracle cleaning solution.

I just like to take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate, and am sure other members here are too, for your time and expert knowledge that you have selflessly shared with us. =D>

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 14 Dec 2016 07:41

Very nice of you to say Spikey, my pleasure to share what has been shared with me over the years.
Adding a quat to your Trition mix is not mandatory but it helps. It allows you to store the wash solutions without the risk of fungal contamination and it helps reduce static. I clean my RCM tanks and brushes with quat based cleaner to keep them sanitized. One possible lead for you: there is a UK-based company called Quatchem that is one of the leaders in the field of quad-based cleaners (they were recently acquired by a US food-safety firm). They make "Detsan" that is a mix of non-ionic detergent and quats (http://www.quatchem.com/industries-and- ... nts/detsan) and also a similar "QC-clear" product. These could be good, but I can't find the full list of ingredients. You might find a distributor of their products near you.

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 16 Dec 2016 01:10

I've learnt alot about record cleaning from you on the AudioKarma so had to say how appreciative I am.

Thanks for the lead on a UK based company dealing with quat cleaners. I searched for the Detsan product and found this http://www.scobiesdirect.com/iteminfo.a ... No=CM40002 There are data sheets including a MSDS. Please could you have a look to see if this is suitable.

I've also found by accident another product called Endbac Sanitizer here http://www.bunzlchs.com/Cleaning-Chemic ... d~p~040066 . There are some PDF info and again if you could have a look at this too. They even have a branch near me so I can collect in person.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 16 Dec 2016 03:21

The Detsan you listed is Ok, but the description of components is fairly vague. It is primarily quats (10%), but they do not list which ones. They also list Amphoteric Biocides, but don't specify and this could include many different compounds. Interestingly, the product does not contain any alcohol so you may want to consider adding some (5-10%). In any event, it could be suitable for use at 1:500 dilution (this will also bring down the pH to more neutral levels). For mold, the solution should sit on the record for at least 15 minutes. You would have to experiment with it, but I don't see any harm short-term.
The Endbac product consists of one quat, and not the of the type I prefer (its R group is a cyclic compound rather than a long saturated carbon chain) so I cannot recommend it.

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 16 Dec 2016 22:15

Thanks Vince for an interesting response.

With your detailed response, I'm now starting to learn a little more about quat cleaners.

Shame about the Endbac as the company that sells it is local. I'll continue my search.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 16 Dec 2016 23:43

then use conditioner on you vinyl...leaves the surface with a lovely sheen... :D

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 17 Dec 2016 00:44

cats squirrel wrote:then use conditioner on you vinyl...leaves the surface with a lovely sheen... :D
Yes that's true, and smells good too. :)

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 20 Dec 2016 15:32

Hi Vince,

As I know zilth about chemistry and could be totally wrong, would Cetrimonium Chloride help with static and also has antiseptic to deal with microorganisms. Is this suitable for vinyls ? There is a MSDS for this here http://www.naturallythinking.com/cetrim ... oride.html

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 20 Dec 2016 19:24

You bet. I've used a related compound, behentrimonium chloride many times. They are both quats, very common, and are antistats. The only issue is that sometimes they are sold combined with cetyl alcohol or other agents for use in cosmetics. If you can find out whether it is a pure solution or what other ingredients are present it would be useful. Also you need to know the concentration present in the solution. You want to dilute it down to 0.05% or less in your cleaning solution (combined with 0.1% or less non-ionic detergent).

spikey_w
Great Britain

Post by spikey_w » 21 Dec 2016 00:19

Thanks Vince, at last getting closer to what I want. I've sent them an email with the queries you've raised and hope I get the answers I want to hear. I noted that you recommend 0.05% dilution, with the smallest quantity they sell of 1Kg this is going to last me a life time. :shock: