Spin-Clean Damaging Records?

how clean is your house
sb1611

Re: Spin-Clean Damaging Records?

Post by sb1611 » 04 Jun 2018 11:38

I hope that all is well if I just re-open this discussion on the Spin-Clean. In our part of the world it is exorbitantly expensive for what it is, however I felt that it would give me the best amount of sound improvement for the money. Although I have only reset up my music system after twenty years packed away, the condition of the records was good. But after turning about 35 on the Spin-Clean I noticed a tremendous amount of fine crackle throughout the record (masked during louder passages). With growing horror I played some of a German pressing of Sky 2 - near silence. A run through Spin Clean - full on crackle.
However after reading through fellow members experiences in this thread, I am hopeful that the situation is not as critical as I thought. Perhaps I need to run it through just using distilled water. I will report back.. :?

greatbear74

Post by greatbear74 » 30 Jul 2018 19:20

I bought the Limited Edition Spin-Clean and I really like it. I do not use the cleaning fluid that came with it probably because it leaves that nasty white hazy film. I bought some "Groovinator" and mix it with Distilled water. The mix is 10 drops per 16 oz. This really did a fantastic job on all of my records. Most of my collection was bought while in the service in Europe so these are getting some age on them. The carbon brush gives the record a quieter sound after cleaning, and a zero stat gun helps too. The Groovinator solution is good if you want to try it. I got good results. Happy Listening.

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 02 Aug 2018 15:07

I still don't understand how drying a record with a microfiber cloth, no matter how special, is not going to push crud into the groove. I used the Spin Cleans for a while but used two, one with an 80/20 water/isopropyl mix and one as a rinse, and left all records to drip-dry on a Knosti rack. Then all was well.

greatbear74

Post by greatbear74 » 02 Aug 2018 17:18

I guess we all get different results with a variety of approaches to cleaning our vinyl. At this point any way that I can get the results I am currently getting I will stick with it. Great to hear that your mix is working for you. I prefer to left mine air dry also after the initial "dabbing" with the baby soft cloth. Keep on spinning!

modalmood

Post by modalmood » 29 Aug 2018 00:54

I'm going to try SpinClean. Several of you mentioned a "wet/dry vacuum". What model works best for this purpose? Can someone provide a link (Amazon or something else). The models I saw are big and expensive. Thanks!!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by vinyl master » 29 Aug 2018 04:55

I actually bought one like this to experiment with...It wasn't too expensive and if I don't use it for my records, I have plenty of other uses for it!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-8100 ... t/34770967

modalmood

Post by modalmood » 29 Aug 2018 20:52

Thanks. I'll try that one. The price is certainly right. However, Walmart seems to be out of stock.

:-(

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by vinyl master » 04 Sep 2018 08:33

Here's one on EBay, too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-1-gall ... Sw8vdZc0H4

In regards to the Spin-Clean, check this out...

greatbear74

Post by greatbear74 » 05 Sep 2018 00:47

sb1611 wrote:I hope that all is well if I just re-open this discussion on the Spin-Clean. In our part of the world it is exorbitantly expensive for what it is, however I felt that it would give me the best amount of sound improvement for the money. Although I have only reset up my music system after twenty years packed away, the condition of the records was good. But after turning about 35 on the Spin-Clean I noticed a tremendous amount of fine crackle throughout the record (masked during louder passages). With growing horror I played some of a German pressing of Sky 2 - near silence. A run through Spin Clean - full on crackle.
However after reading through fellow members experiences in this thread, I am hopeful that the situation is not as critical as I thought. Perhaps I need to run it through just using distilled water. I will report back.. :?
I had a little crackle also. I double rinsed the records, dab dried them with the included cotton towels and then allowed them to air dry on my racks. Afterwards I used a Carbon Fiber brush to remove the fine particles that aren't noticeable to us, and then used a Zero-stat gun to completely remove all of the static charge. Immediately place onto the platter or into a rice lined protective sleeve. After all of this you should see a great improvement in the performance of your vinyl. Enjoy!