Cyberclean product

how clean is your house
mr.datsun

Re: Cyberclean product

Post by mr.datsun » 15 Mar 2016 00:45

ripblade wrote:
mr.datsun wrote: I'd wanted a Nagaoka roller, but could never find one at a sensible price. And I seem to remember that when i was looking for one they seemed to be very rare.
The price is insane. I bought mine quite a while ago when they were still reasonable.

A friend of mine recently bought the Tonar equivalent and is quite happy with it. By my own observation of his I'd say it's just as good, but it lacks the necessary protective case that the Nagaoka comes in.
Your description of the film left behind, kind of puts me off.

bgroza

Post by bgroza » 03 Sep 2016 20:34

hi,

just used this (cyber clean phono & vinyl care) today to clean 3 vinyls, but not convinced if i should proceed to the 4th, likely will stop until i hear new reports.

went very well on the first 2 vinyls, clear sound improvement, less pops&cracks from the disc. then when i played the 3rd vinyl it was full of pops&cracks. the disc sound fine before cleaning, so I'm sure it has to do with the cleaning process. upon visual inspection i could see plenty of extremely small, shiny particles very uniformly sprayed all over the surface. the other side of the disc, which was not cleaned, doesn't look like this and sounds fine. i cannot rule out that the shiny particles may be dust that came from my hand, collected when taking the disc from the cover, but they are so uniformly spread and small as if some sort of reaction between the vinyl and the cleaning gel occurred. the instructions say: "Not recommended for the cleaning of acetate records. (Doubplate)!. Do not use on acidic, sugary, oil or wet surface. Use with clean and dry hands!" so maybe there can be some sort of chemical reactions between this product and certain vinyl surfaces? the product contains several chemicals, to quote only a few: amphoteric surfactants, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, etc. which seem harmless, but it's not that i'm good at chemistry or that producers acknowledge everything they put inside. finally, the product is meant to "dissolves grease" - quote from the producer website, so who knows what else it dissolves.

cleaning the affected side with a standard cleaning brush/cloth improved the disc condition by partly removing the shiny particles, but not all of them and i can still hear plenty of pops&crack from this side in certain portions of the disc. until i find a proper way to clean, i would say this side of the disc is compromised.

i do not want to conclude that this is a bad product, worked very well with 2 discs, but due to the incident with the 3rd i will likely wait for new reports until using it on the 4th.

cheers,
b.

bgroza

Post by bgroza » 03 Sep 2016 21:11

additional note: tried it on the 2nd side of the same vinyl, but this time cautiously, only at the dead end of the disc. simply by just pressing/rubbing the gel for a few minutes on the disc (from the plastic holder, without touching it with my hands to exclude contamination). the portion that was touched/rubbed quickly displayed a sort of pellicle, a thin layer sprayed with shiny particles, identical to the ones from the other side of the disc.

until further clarifications, i will not use this product and advise you (at least) to use it with care.

b.

mhenshall1

Post by mhenshall1 » 03 Jul 2018 17:07

I've just had a play with this product myself. Here were my findings with a few audio samples:

http://www.soundmattersblog.com/cyber-c ... re-review/

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 03 Jul 2018 17:37

mhenshall1 wrote:I've just had a play with this product myself. Here were my findings with a few audio samples:

It sounds as though this product actually makes the record worse. :shock:

Nice website, Mark!

mhenshall1

Post by mhenshall1 » 04 Jul 2018 09:44

ripblade wrote:
mhenshall1 wrote:I've just had a play with this product myself. Here were my findings with a few audio samples:

It sounds as though this product actually makes the record worse. :shock:

Nice website, Mark!
Thanks :) In fairness to the UK distributor, they were really good about it and welcomed the feedback. They've asked for the batch number so they can accurately report back to the manufacturer.