Cyberclean product

how clean is your house
mr.datsun

Cyberclean product

Post by mr.datsun » 21 Feb 2016 10:01

I know this stuff has been mentioned briefly here once before, but cyberclean have a product aimed at vinyl and phono cartridges. Pretty sure it's the same as their standard product, but coloured differently.

http://cyberclean.net/products/vinyl-phono-care/

Aside from vinyl - where it looks much safer than woodglue, has anyone also used this to clean their cartridge/stylus? They also claim it dissolves grease as well as lifting dirt from record grooves.

Vanni

Re: Cyberclean product

Post by Vanni » 21 Feb 2016 16:09

Interesting product for sure, but I'm wary of touching any cleaning product with my bare hands. Now I don't know what this product is made of, but I don't like the idea of 'Remove the compound from its packaging and knead it for about 10 seconds' as they instruct on their web site. This product is also different than wood glue, as normally only really dirty records get the glue treatment, and is intended for everyday usage, substituting the need to use a carbon fiber brush before play.

I thought we had all kinds of deposits on our hands, but I stand to be corrected.

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 21 Feb 2016 16:25

My wife got me something similar probably 10 years ago for cleaning keyboards. Mine is a luminous yellow/green blop of slime like putty. It works in that you roll it over the keyboard and it picks up dirt and debris. I think the issue as far as record cleaning is how do you then clean the putty ? If you roll it across your record , dirt will stick to it but you are then rolling this across the record. Over time the putty will contain more and more dirt, and I guess become abrasive ?

As a stylus cleaner I can see it might work far better, and I suspect some commercial stylus cleaning jellies use the same stuff.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 21 Feb 2016 16:34

They also offer an identical product for dusting car interiors.

I believe the concept is sound, but I highly doubt that skin oils wouldn't be transferred to the vinyl. I use a sticky roller instead (Nagaoka), and I see they make one as well.

http://cyberclean.net/products/lint-roller/

mr.datsun

Post by mr.datsun » 25 Feb 2016 21:45

ripblade wrote:They also offer an identical product for dusting car interiors.

I believe the concept is sound, but I highly doubt that skin oils wouldn't be transferred to the vinyl. I use a sticky roller instead (Nagaoka), and I see they make one as well.

Always fancied a Nagaoka. But does a roller get inside the grooves?

btw, the Cyberclean claims to deal with grease, so not sure the skin oils would be an issue.

I might try it.

mr.datsun

Post by mr.datsun » 25 Feb 2016 21:47

jives11 wrote:My wife got me something similar probably 10 years ago for cleaning keyboards. Mine is a luminous yellow/green blop of slime like putty. It works in that you roll it over the keyboard and it picks up dirt and debris. I think the issue as far as record cleaning is how do you then clean the putty ? If you roll it across your record , dirt will stick to it but you are then rolling this across the record. Over time the putty will contain more and more dirt, and I guess become abrasive ?

As a stylus cleaner I can see it might work far better, and I suspect some commercial stylus cleaning jellies use the same stuff.
I've only read the blurb. They claim the dust gets absorbed into the product, clear of the surface. There is a way to tell when the gel is saturated (it's colour).

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 26 Feb 2016 08:12

Maybe, but seems a bit of a gimmick. I'll continue to do light cleaning with a carbon fibre brush and heavy cleaning by washing in warm soapy water in the sink then rinse, then rinse again with deionised water. That way the ratio of dirt to soapy water is infinitesimally low, especially as I only clean a batch of at most 10 records. Why 10 ? well thats the maximum that fit in the plate rack .

mr.datsun

Post by mr.datsun » 27 Feb 2016 12:30

jives11 wrote:Maybe, but seems a bit of a gimmick. I'll continue to do light cleaning with a carbon fibre brush and heavy cleaning by washing in warm soapy water in the sink then rinse, then rinse again with deionised water. That way the ratio of dirt to soapy water is infinitesimally low, especially as I only clean a batch of at most 10 records. Why 10 ? well thats the maximum that fit in the plate rack .
Not sure why it's a gimmick. If it works then, in my mind, it is not a gimmick. Certainly sounds easier than wet-cleaning – which is what i do.

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 27 Feb 2016 13:50

mr.datsun wrote:
jives11 wrote:Maybe, but seems a bit of a gimmick. I'll continue to do light cleaning with a carbon fibre brush and heavy cleaning by washing in warm soapy water in the sink then rinse, then rinse again with deionised water. That way the ratio of dirt to soapy water is infinitesimally low, especially as I only clean a batch of at most 10 records. Why 10 ? well thats the maximum that fit in the plate rack .
Not sure why it's a gimmick. If it works then, in my mind, it is not a gimmick. Certainly sounds easier than wet-cleaning – which is what i do.

Thats a fair point. I guess my issue with this is the disposal of the recovered record surface dirt away from the record. In wet cleaning it goes down the sink. Here the dirt becomes embedded in the jelly. While some dirt is soft, when Shure researched this back in the 1950's they found small particles of harder substances including worn stylus dust. My concern would be rolling an increasingly saturated ball of dirt suspended in jelly across my records.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 27 Feb 2016 15:42

Interested in seeing a careful and detailed report on how well this works. One review on youtube only seems to suggest it MAY not be good....and he does not seem to be using the exact product meant for LPs and cartridges.

Can't find a USA seller for pricing on the vinyl care stuff. I am not gonna guess until I, or somebody else, actually plays with the stuff.

I'd part with 20 bucks to give the stuff an honest try.

mr.datsun

Post by mr.datsun » 06 Mar 2016 08:29

pivot wrote:Interested in seeing a careful and detailed report on how well this works. One review on youtube only seems to suggest it MAY not be good....and he does not seem to be using the exact product meant for LPs and cartridges.

Can't find a USA seller for pricing on the vinyl care stuff. I am not gonna guess until I, or somebody else, actually plays with the stuff.

I'd part with 20 bucks to give the stuff an honest try.
I cannot offered a careful or detailed report but I bought the standard yellow stuff, as the vinyl version is not available in the UK and I wished to use it mainly for household cleaning after my test.

The Youtube test is a concern. Having watched the youtube video where a residue is left on a mirror, I'd like to see that test on the grey scentless version before considering it seriously.

So far I have cleaned two singles I bought second hand. I thought it did a good job. They looked very clean and aside from a couple of stuck-on specks, which I had to ease off with some record-cleaning fluid and a cotton bud, it seems to have worked well. The singles sound very clean.

I think jives11's worry that they may transfer dirt to the vinyl are unfounded as the dirt gets absorbed into the mass. Also the gel is more sticky (in a low-tack sense) than smooth vinyl, so it seems unlikely to me that it could transfer dirt in the unwanted direction. You are not meant to use this stuff for ever and a colour change indicates when it's useful life span is over. Lastly, transferring grease from hands to vinyl? I assume people have clean hands when they handle their records, but also it says it dissolves grease and again is going to absorb it, rather than transfer it. To test this, I placed a finger print on the lead out groove of a test 12". The gel removed it.

I thought about smears. I think these might be a problem that only wet-cleaning will remove. But then I went over a couple I found on an old 12" and they also seemed to be removed after rolling it back and forth a few times.

I think there are people who would never use this stuff and I'm not recommending anyone else uses it on my say so, but I'm interested in the results. I want to try it on a pressing with obvious crackles, to see if gets rid of them.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 06 Mar 2016 15:17

mr.datsun wrote:
ripblade wrote:They also offer an identical product for dusting car interiors.

Always fancied a Nagaoka. But does a roller get inside the grooves?

btw, the Cyberclean claims to deal with grease, so not sure the skin oils would be an issue.

I might try it.
I wouldn't say that it gets to the very bottom of the groove, but the sticky compound on the roller is surprisingly compliant and I don't doubt that it reaches below the surface with normal use. Under high pressure (which I don't recommend) it probably can reach the very bottom. The key is to pass the roller slowly over the surface so the compound has time to form to the grooves.

It lifts fingerprints too, but these accumulate on the roller to reduce the tack and eventually gets spread over the entire record as a thin film. I'm assuming the Cyberclean will have a similar action of absorbing/redistributing prints but I can't speak out of knowledge. Regardless, the film is removable with a wash and is not audible as far as I can hear. Given the choice, I'll take the film over audible dust accumulation.

mr.datsun

Post by mr.datsun » 06 Mar 2016 22:19

ripblade wrote: I wouldn't say that it gets to the very bottom of the groove, but the sticky compound on the roller is surprisingly compliant and I don't doubt that it reaches below the surface with normal use. Under high pressure (which I don't recommend) it probably can reach the very bottom. The key is to pass the roller slowly over the surface so the compound has time to form to the grooves.

It lifts fingerprints too, but these accumulate on the roller to reduce the tack and eventually gets spread over the entire record as a thin film. I'm assuming the Cyberclean will have a similar action of absorbing/redistributing prints but I can't speak out of knowledge. Regardless, the film is removable with a wash and is not audible as far as I can hear. Given the choice, I'll take the film over audible dust accumulation.
I'd wanted a Nagaoka roller, but could never find one at a sensible price. And I seem to remember that when i was looking for one they seemed to be very rare.

mr.datsun

Post by mr.datsun » 06 Mar 2016 22:27

pivot wrote:Interested in seeing a careful and detailed report on how well this works. One review on youtube only seems to suggest it MAY not be good....and he does not seem to be using the exact product meant for LPs and cartridges.
I might have figured out what was happening on that YouTube video. When I first applied the gel/putty to a surface, it left a wet residue. The residue came straight off when I re-applied the gel. The next time I used it did not leave a residue. Now, the instructions tell you to roll it briefly in your hands before using it. I think what happened is that I did not roll it the first time I used, and then later when I first removed it from the jar again, I noticed it felt 'damp'. I suspect that a little moisture seems to collect on the surface - maybe where the gel sits against the sides of the jar. It feels damp. I think that manipulating the gel - as instructed - allows the moisture on the surface to be re-absorbed.

On the youtube video, the user does not show us whether he rolled the gel in his hands before applying to the mirror. He also makes no attempt to re-apply another surface of the gel to remove the moisture. He just applies it and lets it sit, then removes it.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 06 Mar 2016 23:55

mr.datsun wrote: I'd wanted a Nagaoka roller, but could never find one at a sensible price. And I seem to remember that when i was looking for one they seemed to be very rare.
The price is insane. I bought mine quite a while ago when they were still reasonable.

A friend of mine recently bought the Tonar equivalent and is quite happy with it. By my own observation of his I'd say it's just as good, but it lacks the necessary protective case that the Nagaoka comes in.