Ever used ammonia as a record cleaning ingredient?

how clean is your house
BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Ever used ammonia as a record cleaning ingredient?

Post by BMRR » 27 Dec 2017 16:11

If I was in your situation, I think I'd resist the urge to use ammonia straight from the bottle. For one thing, it's probably overkill. There are much gentler products that will remove mold just fine. Enzyme-based products are typically very good at this. If you wanted to be extra-extra cautious, you could follow that with an additional cleaning step, using either a water-alcohol solution or a water-vinegar solution; either of those would kill anything that might have been lingering after the enzyme step. Then do a final rinse with water alone.

I also recommend replacing the ruined paper inner sleeves with new plastic inner sleeves, such as these:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00B1V2FA0/ ... qAbQM18GA3

thomas_mc

Post by thomas_mc » 15 Jan 2018 01:16

I have looked at a lot of articles on various blogs on the internet about vinyl record cleaning. Usually to get an education on DIY cleaning practices. One that comes up a lot is using surfactants as part of the cleaning formula. Such as Triton X-100, Triton X-114, Tergitol 15-s-7 (as per Library of Congress cleaning processes) and Tergitol 15-s-3 combined with Tergitol 15-s-9 (as per the Government of Canada, Canadian Conservation Institute)

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-i ... a.html#a3a

You will note that near the bottom of the article where they talk about cleaning with Tergitol they also mention adding 1 part ammonia to 100 parts distilled water. Anyone have comments on this.

tckmet
United States of America

Post by tckmet » 15 Jan 2018 02:14

Just hope someone does not mix bleach and ammonia in their home brew record cleaing solution it could kill them!

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 15 Jan 2018 16:55

I wouldn't let bleach anywhere near my records. :shock: For one thing, bleach is just awful to work with. Too much fumes, and it'll take your fingerprints off your fingers even if it's diluted. I use it for cleaning the toilet bowl and not much else.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 15 Jan 2018 17:31

thomas_mc wrote:I have looked at a lot of articles on various blogs on the internet about vinyl record cleaning. Usually to get an education on DIY cleaning practices. One that comes up a lot is using surfactants as part of the cleaning formula. Such as Triton X-100, Triton X-114, Tergitol 15-s-7 (as per Library of Congress cleaning processes) and Tergitol 15-s-3 combined with Tergitol 15-s-9 (as per the Government of Canada, Canadian Conservation Institute)

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-i ... a.html#a3a

You will note that near the bottom of the article where they talk about cleaning with Tergitol they also mention adding 1 part ammonia to 100 parts distilled water. Anyone have comments on this.
The inclusion of ammonia wasn't in the original formula. I suspect the change is provided solely for acetates, as suggested in the link.

Here is the original recipe....
The Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) recommends the use of nonionic, ethelyne oxide condensates surfactants to clean sound recordings. The CCI does not foresee long-term problems associated with the use of nonionic surfactants such as Tergitol. Tergitol 15-S-3 is an oil soluble surfactant and 15-S-9 is a water soluble surfactant. Combined they remove a wide range of dirt and greases and can safely be used on sound recordings. Use 0.25 part of Tergitol 15-S-3 and 0.25 parts of Tergitol 15-S-9 per 100 parts of distilled water. (These products are available in small quantities from TALAS (Division of Technical Library Service Inc) 213 West 35th Street, New York, N.Y. (212) 465-8722.) The recording must then be rinsed thoroughly with distilled water to eliminate any trace of detergent residue.
...as found here:

http://cool.conservation-us.org/byauth/ ... /care.html

sneaky pete

Post by sneaky pete » 11 Feb 2018 12:59

BMRR wrote:If I was in your situation, I think I'd resist the urge to use ammonia straight from the bottle. For one thing, it's probably overkill. There are much gentler products that will remove mold just fine. Enzyme-based products are typically very good at this. If you wanted to be extra-extra cautious, you could follow that with an additional cleaning step, using either a water-alcohol solution or a water-vinegar solution; either of those would kill anything that might have been lingering after the enzyme step. Then do a final rinse with water alone.

I also recommend replacing the ruined paper inner sleeves with new plastic inner sleeves, such as these:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00B1V2FA0/ ... qAbQM18GA3
Thanks for the reply and that's going to be a lot of work, but I won't let it discourage me. My bought me plastic
sleeves for Christmas, but we returned them for I am a fast cratedigger and it's harder to access my records quickly when I use them. They also tend to stick to them. I just use outside jackets, period. This enables me to fit more records in one crate. Can you suggest a good enzyme cleaner? Thanks again-sp

sneaky pete

Post by sneaky pete » 11 Feb 2018 13:03

wife*

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 22 Apr 2018 07:54

I have used Windex to clean records. Immediately afterward I rinse them in water and dry with a soft cotton cloth followed by my discwasher brush. I've never heard any degredation of the records that I have cleaned this way.