Your most creative storage options

how clean is your house
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Your most creative storage options...

Post by vinyl master » 28 Mar 2014 02:52

Oh believe me, I understand about the wallet part. As I've gotten older, it seems the money keeps getting tighter. Fortunately, I had a very keen eye when I was younger regarding music, and my tastes haven't changed that much as I've gotten older. Some of the most classic records I bought when I was younger sound just as good today, and I've pretty much kept everything I had then. A filing cabinet for the LP's is another creative option, too.

Regarding the cereal boxes, I've even had sellers ship records to me with cut-up cereal boxes used instead of cardboard inserts. It works especially well on the 45's!

Heyitsmeallen

Post by Heyitsmeallen » 28 Mar 2014 04:22

I really need to build something soon.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Mar 2014 04:49

Heyitsmeallen wrote:I really need to build something soon.
Are the LP's starting to pile themselves up, my friend? Believe me, I know the feeling! You could always use a few LP boxes in the meantime. Some of the boxes I bought 10 years ago hold up as good today as the day I bought them, and they'll work until something better comes along, or you create or build something for them. Plus, they come in handy if you ever to move your albums around!

My idea for this thread, though, was to see what creative ideas you guys had for re-cycling or re-purposing something unusual...maybe not something specifically made for vinyl into something you could use to store or display your collection. Something out of the ordianry, so keep the brainstorms coming!

ProfD24

Post by ProfD24 » 09 May 2014 22:13

Hello I store my Boxed Sets using dexion shelving units in my study. I measured the longest wall end and purchased the brackets and posts from B&Q and was able to buy conti board from B&Q exactly a foot wide and made three full rows giving an extra 4 inches above the boxed sets which allows me to take them out easily.

With the two walls at either end this serves well and allowed me to start from left to right with the boxed sets in alphabetical composer order followed by the opera or oratorio in alphabetical order - a very uncomplicated system to use and has worked for me over 30 years without problem. I work the single LPs slightly differently by putting them in artist name (alphabetically) and use a cardboard spacer between marked A - D; E - G etc that allows me to ensure that I can place the correct LP under the correct alphabetical set.

This is a very handy arrangement as it has allowed me to place my desk and computer setup underneath giving me plenty of workspace and headroom as the shelving conti board is approximately 6 inches away from the doorway.

Hope that this helps. ProfD :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 May 2014 03:39

Got any pics, ProfD? I'd love to see 'em!

ProfD24

Post by ProfD24 » 26 May 2014 23:27

I use dexion shelving for all my boxed sets and single LPs. I have shelving in my study and the great use of dexion is that you have the strength of the shelving clips I use the 12 inch clip and the conti-board is 12 inches deep which house the boxes and singe LPs ideally. I leave approximately a 3 inch gap between each shelf which allows me to lift out the box or LP without any problem. I use the two walls as the anchor, but in the case of the single LPs I use the 'L' bracket metal library stacker-end. This metal 'book-end' fits neatly under the LPs and can be pulled out slightly to add or remove single LPs. Not a very up-market system, but it is reality cheap and does the job. Hope this helps. :) DF

ProfD24

Post by ProfD24 » 26 May 2014 23:29

vinyl master wrote:Got any pics, ProfD? I'd love to see 'em!
Will have to get my digital camera working and then try to post - I am a real technophobe when it comes to electrical or computerised equipment - will have a go. [-o<

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 31 May 2014 16:16

This pic is not so much for how I store my LPs but how I separate them by alpha.
https://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb1 ... 859d7d.jpg

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 May 2014 17:07

ginniegatrit wrote:This pic is not so much for how I store my LPs but how I separate them by alpha.
https://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb1 ... 859d7d.jpg
Old records for use as dividers, Ginnie? NOW WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT??? =D> Something so obvious and simple, but uncommon...To quote one Keebler elf, it's an "uncommonly good" idea, though! Might have to try that with a few scratched up colored vinyls... :-k

CubandCringe

Post by CubandCringe » 10 Jul 2014 18:48

Hi everyone. Just joined so this is my first ever post.

In the UK, aside from finding a wooden Schweppes box for free (£25 and rising), I think that the cheapest way of storing 7 inch singles / 45s, is in the cardboard box that holds several packs of A4 printer paper. When I say cheap, I mean free. These things are discarded on a daily basis in most large offices, so acquiring them is easy if you ask friends to bring them home.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 Jan 2015 00:03

Hey, guys...I wanted to resurrect this thread, since I just saw a very unique DIY idea...How many of you have access to free or low--cost pallet wood? If so, here's something cool you can do with it...

http://takemetoabygoneera.wordpress.com ... ord-shelf/

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jan 2015 20:36

I still think this is the coolest idea I've seen yet! Love this video!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jan 2015 20:51

Another idea for the 45's, if you don't have too many...

http://pinterest.com/pin/109634572154031983/