the home of the turntable

Your most creative storage options

how clean is your house

Re: Your most creative storage options...

Postby vinyl master » 09 Oct 2017 04:18

I've also noticed that a company called Tunes-Tote is making brand new Platter-Pak style boxes with the vintage graphics of some of the old ones...Take a look at these...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Arumatik49 » 14 Oct 2017 10:48

Vinyl Master asked me to re-post a shelf project I showed in the hardware "other stuff" forum. Details about it can be found here. It shows what I had before and then after, plus supplies used.

It's a classic cinder block rack made from parts available at most home improvement stores. Cost about $50 total.

Arumatik49

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 14 Oct 2017 11:43

That's a pretty awesome shelf there, Arumatik...Probably good with keeping vibrations to a minimum, too...Just a thought and I don't know if you did it yet, but if you want to keep the CD's at the front of the unit, place a long strip of clear or white weatherstripping behind them, so they will only go in so far...Maybe you have a similar idea already? :-k

Certainly a good idea for someone wanting to do something on the cheap...And it's easily disassemblable, if one desires...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby TudorTurtle » 14 Oct 2017 13:58

Arum,
Pretty nice, much cleaner than most Early Dorm furnishings.
All good, TT
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby BoblK » 29 Nov 2017 15:28

vinyl master wrote:This qualifies as an unusual container to hold your records, and I just saw this pic online! Wild, eh??? 8)

I guess stopping by for a cold one has a whole new meaning..... :lol:
BoblK

United States of America

Postby scrapjack+ » 30 Dec 2017 20:07

IMG_2300[1] cropped.jpg

I used paint stirrer sticks to build a shelf between my base and stereo.
scrapjack+

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 31 Dec 2017 04:20

scrapjack+ wrote:
IMG_2300[1] cropped.jpg

Well, that is a most creative storage option, if I ever saw one...Methinks you may need a few more of those paint sticks, if the collection decides to grow...And if you stick around here long enough, GROW IT WILL!! #-o

In fact, you may want to read the rest of this thread for more inspiration on a budget...I have a feeling your vinyl collection won't stay that small forever! :wink:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby scrapjack+ » 31 Dec 2017 07:13

vinyl master wrote:
scrapjack+ wrote:
IMG_2300[1] cropped.jpg

Well, that is a most creative storage option, if I ever saw one...Methinks you may need a few more of those paint sticks, if the collection decides to grow...And if you stick around here long enough, GROW IT WILL!! #-o

In fact, you may want to read the rest of this thread for more inspiration on a budget...I have a feeling your vinyl collection won't stay that small forever! :wink:

I'm pleased with my $2 solution. I got tired of the second tier sitting on a spare chair, fit them all on a shelf, then rewarded my self with more records that won't fit. #-o My 78's aren't there at all, and I've noticed records smaller than 45's don't like to stack with LP's. I may be adding shelves to the other side. I have more components not in the photo. I need to build a cabinet but I do not have room for one, or the 4 monster vintage turntable speakers I got to go quadraphonic. My stereo is at the point I fear the components will start crushing each other like the buildings in "Rampage: Total Destruction."

I did skim the pages. I do like the fridge idea, who needs a dust cover when stored in an air tight container, and nobody robs the fridge. I also like the magazine stands.

It occurs to me some dish washers have some tall and very vertical guide bars, and they have wheels and sometimes rails. The right dishwasher rack could be handy, and would probably attract the attention of even those not interested in your collection. :lol:
scrapjack+

United States of America

Postby C2H3Cln2 » 01 Jan 2018 23:41

Three shelf, LOWES' metal rack: solid, bright, airy, modular, and ONLY $ 19.95 ! =D>

pi.JPG

pio.JPG
C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Re: Your most creative storage options

Postby vinyl master » 01 Jun 2018 01:45

OK, now take a look at this, guys...Here's an "industrial-looking" storage unit that I hadn't even thought of, but it looks like an ingenious solution for those old boxes, now that many people get their news from Facebook and elsewhere...You can even stick an album cover in the front window! =D>

Here's the link to it...

https://frederick.craigslist.org/clt/d/ ... 46889.html

As heavy as those things are, you probably wouldn't have to worry about vibrations! :-k

I could also imagine painting one and covering it in band stickers! 8)
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Re: Your most creative storage options

Postby vinyl master » 01 Jun 2018 03:51

Today I also went to the thrift store again...The one where I saw that Telefunken turntable...It was gone, but I picked up these three interesting boxes...

Supposedly, they were made by the Smith-Victor Corporation to hold film reels...

Here's a look at the inside of one, too...

I, of course, wanted to see what else they would hold, so I thought that maybe I could fit these in there...

They are a little big, so the hinged top doesn't close right...Next, I tried a few 45 rpm boxed sets to see if they would fit, but I also had a hard time closing the lid...

I also tried some smaller EP's and five 45 rpm records will fit into each slot...

Just for fun, I wanted to see if a DVD would fit in there, and it certainly does!

10 DVD's or 50 45 rpm records can fit in each box and the lid will close...It won't close with the 7" reel boxes, so if you guys have any ideas for that or any other re-purposes for these, let me know! :-k
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Previous

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage