how clean is your house
scrapjack+

Re: Your most creative storage options

Post by scrapjack+ » 07 May 2019 00:09

vinyl master wrote:
06 May 2019 06:38
scrapjack+ wrote:
06 May 2019 03:22
I picked up an industrial bread box. Pine wood cover over industrial grey, hydraulic hinges, and stainless accents.
IMG_3525[1].JPG
Now, scrapjack, THAT'S using the old needle...er...noodle! :wink:

What, pray tell, would have possessed you to consider using something like this to store records in? :-k

And second of all, WHERE did you find this monstrosity and how heavy is it? I like it VERY MUCH! :mrgreen: =D>

It's such a cool thing I'm...I'm...at a loss for words! 8) :D
I like bread, no butter, no toasting, just bread, and industrial looking stuff, like diamond plate and angle iron bracing. I was working, mowing lawns and the house across had this industrial sized "breadbox" at the curb, no key for the lock. (I'm going to use an old 60's VW chrome lock core in the black housing. It was made with mounting holes that show enough wear to know it was on a wall at one point. It has slots for book end/dividers, but those are missing. I might make some one of these days. The handle came off an old BBQ. The custom manufacture receipt says it was 1 of 1 produced, not too long ago. The hydraulics are still in good shape and covered so stuff doesn't snag on them. The wood wasn't even scratched up. I 'm curious what it was commissioned for, and why it got discarded so soon. I saw this and loved it, couldn't stop thinking about it, but needed an excuse to bring it home. I had records stacked on chairs, and against walls and really needed something to put them in. It seemed about the right height so I went back with a record, the interior is only slightly taller than a 33 jacket. They slide in and out easily as long as you don't try to tilt them. It is over half full now.

It is all thin welded square channel and sheet metal, so even at 4 feet long, it's very light. If it weren't so large it'd be easy to move by myself. I needed help moving it to it's general spot, but then I was able to center it myself once there.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 May 2019 06:46

I'd love to see some dividers in it, scrapjack, whether original or homemade...Have you ever thought of say...adding legs or maybe some caster wheels to make it easier to move, should you need to? :-k

In any case, it is definitely a unique piece and an out-of-the-box upcycling idea!

You know, the more I check out the thrift stores and even the local junkpiles and garage sales, I'm always looking at furniture and unusual items or boxes that can store 12-inch and 7-inch records...It is quite cool when you can recycle this stuff for new uses than what was originally intended! :D

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 09 May 2019 00:46

vinyl master wrote:
07 May 2019 06:46
I'd love to see some dividers in it, scrapjack, whether original or homemade...Have you ever thought of say...adding legs or maybe some caster wheels to make it easier to move, should you need to? :-k

In any case, it is definitely a unique piece and an out-of-the-box upcycling idea!

You know, the more I check out the thrift stores and even the local junkpiles and garage sales, I'm always looking at furniture and unusual items or boxes that can store 12-inch and 7-inch records...It is quite cool when you can recycle this stuff for new uses than what was originally intended! :D
I think it would look weird on legs, and the support rails are too narrow for the casters I have laying around. I'd have to get really narrow casters for the support rails to avoid bolts coming through into the storage area. I was going to put it on top of my entertainment center under my tv, but the cabinet I got for that was too small. It's sitting raised slightly off the ground on foundry bricks salvaged from Kaiser Steel, hidden under the cabinet support rails. Someday not too soon, it will sit on a table likely made of more record storage, or be mounted to a wall next to the stereo stack. If for some reason I wanted to move it with out removing the records, I'll push the bricks out of the way with a 4 wheel dolly.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 May 2019 11:30

Hmmm...The wall mounting idea does sound interesting! :D

If you do decide to put it on top of another record storage unit, I'd love to see that, too! Would you be considering anything specific, or is the plan to make something yourself? :-k

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 10 May 2019 05:54

vinyl master wrote:
09 May 2019 11:30
Hmmm...The wall mounting idea does sound interesting! :D

If you do decide to put it on top of another record storage unit, I'd love to see that, too! Would you be considering anything specific, or is the plan to make something yourself? :-k
I don't have any specific plans.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jun 2019 06:00

Well, here are a couple more items I saw in my travels today...