Can PVC record sleeves damage vinyl - Merged Thread

how clean is your house
cmarti

Re: Can PVC record sleeves damage vinyl - Merged Thread

Post by cmarti » 12 Jul 2016 01:45

Blackout- wrote:great Mostly...looking forward to hearing how you go! make sure you report back!
This works pretty good,I can't hear any hissing on one of the records and way less on the other. Will need to do another application but I will do it at other time because my arms hurt :lol:

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 12 Jul 2016 02:17

cmarti...please post a Before and After pic!@

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 12 Jul 2016 02:40

Blackout- wrote:cmarti...please post a Before and After pic!@
Oh man I don't have any before pictures :(

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 01 Oct 2016 05:27

Hi,

Think the Meguiar's will also work great on the dust cover of your record player.
Maybe it gets the surface shining and scratch-free again :mrgreen:

Not really the same, but interesting;
viewtopic.php?t=79719

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 01 Oct 2016 05:53

Oh, and I forgot to ask, do these problems only occur with PVC sleeves or other materials as well?

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 16 Oct 2016 10:25

it seems to be only for the PVC covers. If i pull out an old record from storage thats in a clear PVC cover, and the PVC cover is sticky and bubbled, and when i try to take the PVC cover off it has "stuck" to the cardboard album cover, my heart starts to sink. Its more often than not a misted record inside. :(

On a side note, i have been told by a second-hand dealer that this "misting" problem has started for DVDs too...the PVC plastic cases for DVDs seems to be reacting also. Thankfully CD covers are not made out of the bendable PVC covers but a harder, solid plastic and he has not seen the problem with CDs.

Need to check my DVDs now for this cancer! damn

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 17 Oct 2016 05:32

Where I live we've had DVDs coming in hard case boxes in the past, somewhat similar to the one a cd has.
Think it was cheaper for them to produce the black PVC cases so they turned over to those.
And I have never seen empty hard cases for sale here to replace a broken one.

spatafore

Post by spatafore » 02 Dec 2016 18:43

I'll try that method to clean my ghosting records soon, thanks for that!!

BUT AGAIN and PLEASE: are any get this "ghost" when import records from Europe? or a distant place from you??? Here's the thing: My Problem IS NOT WITH PVC, I order MINT records (I saw picture before order from the seller) and voila! I received damaged with that ghosting, its very sad. My conclusion is its the HEATING during the ship to me. NOT just the PVC can do that, again the HEATING during a travel to you can damage like that, even the records are packing well.

I'll show soon! REAL pictures of my damaged records, and again trust me that records never USE a PVC sleeve, that ones was stored in just paper plain sleeves.

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 03 Dec 2016 03:19

spatafore wrote:
I'll show soon! REAL pictures of my damaged records, and again trust me that records never USE a PVC sleeve, that ones was stored in just paper plain sleeves.
Damn, that sucks. Looking forward to see pictures.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 03 Dec 2016 05:20

FWIW.....

I recently got a NM '69 pressing of "Abbey Road"
The LP was inside an obviously old poly lined inner sleeve as the paper had turned yellow with age.
However, the vinyl looks pristine.

A month or so ago, I also got a still sealed LP from the '70s that had a paper inner sleeve.
The vinyl had a somewhat mottled pattern on it which came off with a wet cleaning.

Other still sealed LPs from the '70s that I got did not have this issue and looked pristine.

Maybe there is something else going on that we are not aware of ?

spatafore

Post by spatafore » 03 Dec 2016 05:57

JDJX wrote:FWIW.....

The LP was inside an obviously old poly lined inner sleeve as the paper had turned yellow with age.

A month or so ago, I also got a still sealed LP from the '70s that had a paper inner sleeve.
The vinyl had a somewhat mottled pattern on it which came off with a wet cleaning.

Other still sealed LPs from the '70s that I got did not have this issue and looked pristine.

its seems all examples that you told are not related with this issue, all examples that you told use PAPER SLEEVES, there's any problem with paper sleeves, the issue here is for open records storage in PVC sleeves or my situation HEATING during the travel to me cause some ghosting like this.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 05 Dec 2016 05:30

spatafore wrote:

its seems all examples that you told are not related with this issue, all examples that you told use PAPER SLEEVES, there's any problem with paper sleeves, the issue here is for open records storage in PVC sleeves or my situation HEATING during the travel to me cause some ghosting like this.
Perhaps you misunderstood my post?

The first post was indeed in a poly (lined) sleeve .

The second example was included to illustrate that similar things can happen with even a plain paper sleeve. :)

spatafore

Post by spatafore » 07 Dec 2016 02:18

JDJX wrote:
spatafore wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood my post?

The first post was indeed in a poly (lined) sleeve .

The second example was included to illustrate that similar things can happen with even a plain paper sleeve. :)
maybe I misunderstood, sorry.
so if even on plain paper this can happen maybe you make more solid my theory, that the problem is the HEAT!, like I say many times, I receive some records over seas that are Mint with NO PVC's sleeves on, and when arrive comes with that nasty ghost on, I even say to the seller "please send me in plain PAPER sleeves" and the seller send me in new paper sleeves, very protected package, but even that I got that nasty ghost.

spatafore

Post by spatafore » 07 Dec 2016 02:27

cmarti wrote:
spatafore wrote:
Damn, that sucks. Looking forward to see pictures.
it's night here, I take some pictures, tomorrow I take more in the light of the day,

PLEASE SEE THE PICTURES:

ON THIS YOU CAN SEE THE GHOST PART AND THE NORMAL BLACK SHINY PART.

http://i.imgur.com/sA7jrYK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yefeBQx.jpg

ON THIS OTHER DISC, YOU CAN SEE A SPOTS with the Ghost! (looks like MOLD but is not MOLD, is a solid thing on the disc)

http://i.imgur.com/FBAmapo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1nqtWyG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dQueyfA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oXKRt5T.jpg

We can ATTRIBUTE this issues to this topic?????
I think is the same thing that everyone experiment here and the key is the heat, maybe in the plane or the warehouses with heating can cause this damage on discs even with NO PVC.
This issues on pics was caused during the ship From Australia to USA FLORIDA
That's my theory, this happens to me 4 times (two from Australia, Spain and USA) by the way, the USA to USA issue the package was lost and recovery takes 1 month on arrive, so again the package maybe suffer a lot heat.

what do you think guys?

thanks.

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 07 Dec 2016 02:52

spatafore wrote:
cmarti wrote:
spatafore wrote:
what do you think guys?

thanks.
Are you sure that wasn't caused by abrasion?