Can PVC record sleeves damage vinyl - Merged Thread

how clean is your house
Blackout-

Re: Can PVC record sleeves damage vinyl - Merged Thread

Post by Blackout- » 24 Jun 2016 12:14

cmarti join us in trying to find a solution....try different products on it and see if you have any luck.

You know...WD40 was named "40" because it was the 40th formulation they tried before they got it right. So I say lets try everything you can imagine might work and report back. Somethings gotta work....

Cheers,
Blackout

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 24 Jun 2016 12:37

Blackout- wrote:cmarti join us in trying to find a solution....try different products on it and see if you have any luck.
So far I tried the spin cleaner with dishwasher gel and also 91% alcohol and nothing. Will try Windex next

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 24 Jun 2016 12:57

I just tried the polish brush on my Dremel drill with the speed on "1" (low)...along with AM record cleaner...and it worked. but it was too abrasive and damaged the record too. But the misting is gone where I worked on it. I'm convinced its a polishing action we need to get right, to get this done. A much softer polishing head that is larger I think will work. MAybe even some car polish might help. I'm going to buy a full-size drill car polish head tomorrow. I think I'm onto something.

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 24 Jun 2016 17:39

Blackout- wrote:I just tried the polish brush on my Dremel drill with the speed on "1" (low)...along with AM record cleaner...and it worked. but it was too abrasive and damaged the record too. But the misting is gone where I worked on it. I'm convinced its a polishing action we need to get right, to get this done. A much softer polishing head that is larger I think will work. MAybe even some car polish might help. I'm going to buy a full-size drill car polish head tomorrow. I think I'm onto something.
Sounds promising

gorlokrg

Post by gorlokrg » 24 Jun 2016 18:02

I would join you guys but I do not have any misted albums that I am aware of.

But some ideas:
Goof Off - Removes a lot of crap that is often impossible to remove. Might work, but might leave something in the record.

Vinegar - Good acidic traits

Pinesol - High strength cleaner, sometimes used to clean PVC floors.

Woodglue - Could possibly pull it off?

Drain Cleaner - Likely to greatly harm the record, but might help...? Highly dilute.

Magic Eraser - Slightly abrasive. Could remove it, but might leave deposits in groove.

Those are my suggestions. Sorry, not many. I wouldn't advise using as any type of cleaner but only as a test to see if it removes it.

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 25 Jun 2016 09:30

I HAVE SOME NEWS!! I HAVE FOUND SOMEWHAT OF A SOLUTION TO REMOVING MISTING!!!!

it is an extension of my idea of the Dremel polish head, which kinda worked but was doing some scratching and damage to the surface, it was too hard to control.
IMG_1034dremel.JPG
(661.55 KiB) Downloaded 847 times
As ive mentioned a few times I believed the answer was to "polish". Rather than the idea of misting being something "on top" of the vinyl, misting is a damage to the sheen of the vinyl surface and it seems that theory has proven to be correct.

Today I went "all in" and purchased a Ryobi cordless polisher, with a great big fat hairy soft spinning polisher on its head. Here it is here:
IMG_1044.JPG
(906.05 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
IMG_1043.JPG
(832.16 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
Cost me $79 AU at Bunnings in Melbourne. (I already had the battery...that costs a bit more).

I was thinking maybe car cut-and-polish cream would get something done here, and I saw this thing for sale. So I tried it on its own first in the garage.

so quite simply, you turn on the unit (it has one speed only), the giant polish head starts spinning, and you give the brush a slight "tilt" to one side of the brush slightly, so the brush is spinning around along with the grooves direction.

DRY. NO CLEANER, WATER, ANYTHING.

Just holding it on gently...less than the weight of the Ryobi, so the hairs are gently spinning across the surface. And the miracle occurs in front of your eyes, the misting simply disappears over 20-30 seconds!!! LOOK! YOU WONT BELIEVE IT!

BEFORE:
IMG_1040.JPG
(906.5 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
AFTER!!
IMG_1041.JPG
(782.64 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
AMAZING!! THIS IS A REAL BREAKTHROUGH HERE! I CANT BELEIVE IT!

next is to experiment with some "wet" cleaning of this process and see if it works any different/better. But the unit only comes with one hairy polishing head. So I will need to get some more of them first before I start getting it wet because I want to keep this one for the same process I just performed.

Just wanted to get this info up on the thread first now and maybe someone else will do some testing with this unit and a wet liquid. Thinking I might make a youtube video of this as well so people can see it happen with their own eyes

Please try this yourself and report back!!

*** DISCLAIMER - I haven't done audio before and after comparisons yet...it might not be an audio improvement I am not sure

Cheers,
Blackout

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 25 Jun 2016 12:23

ok I just had a second major breakthrough in the garage....you ready for it?

BRASSO!!
brasso.JPG
(84.86 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
this is most definitely the answer here, you don't even need the Ryobi polishing tool it works just like a normal record cleaner but, unlike normal record cleaner fluid, this time the misting is removed. Just takes a few revolutions on a cloth (use gloves ..Brasso is nasty stuff). However the Brasso needs to be diluted. If its put directly on the record in wet blobs it causes problems. Now comes the fun part...trial and error of how to dilute it, what to dilute it with and how much. (I'm thinking some drops into a record cleaner solution..something in the range of 1/10)

But give BRASSO a try and tell me I'm wrong! (use a crap record obviously)

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » 26 Jun 2016 12:26

Hey, Blackout -

Sorry to read of your struggles with the deadly fog. I don't think I have any discs with this problem, but thanks for the alert and the experimentation.

Brasso (at least here in the USA) has some petro-chemical base. Might that not damage the vinyl? I also recall that Brasso scratches silver & other softer metals. Might a diluted silver polish be gentler? How do you remove the stuff without scrubbing?

At any rate, good luck.

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 10 Jul 2016 12:57

UPDATE:

I have found the best solution to this problem, and even better product to use. I have made a video to show how well it works right in front of your eyes.

In summary, these are the 2 products that work:

For evenly spread/more general misting:
Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish.jpg
(797.54 KiB) Downloaded 839 times
for aggressive spots where misting is in patterns or looks partically nasty:
Meguiars Scratch X2.0.jpg
(832.73 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
and here is the result:

Before:
Vinyl Misted A.jpg
(367.91 KiB) Downloaded 774 times
After:
Vinyl Misted B.jpg
(382.82 KiB) Downloaded 770 times
The results are quite remarkable, and I think what most people in this thread have been hoping for. I will post the video on "how to" do this in the next 24 hours.

cheers!
Blackout

(PS Brasso works, but leaves some residue in the grooves that is hard to remove and although the record looks better it doesn't sound any better, and could end up doing surface damage due to its chemicals. Meguiars products work even better than Brasso and without the more dangerous chemicals of Brasso. Bottom line is that Plastic is what Meguiars is designed to work on, unlike Brasso, so its formulated specifically for this job, and does it very well indeed without the extra background noise...indeed the background noise is REDUCED when using Meguiars as the misting SWOOSH is removed with the mist!)
Last edited by Blackout- on 10 Jul 2016 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 10 Jul 2016 13:24

Blackout- wrote:UPDATE:

I have found the best solution to this problem, and even better product to use. I have made a video to show how well it works right in front of your eyes.
Can't wait to see your video

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 11 Jul 2016 01:43

ok cmarti... video is finally up! (HD took a while to upload but wanted to keep it HD)

https://youtu.be/8dLUJ3K6lmw

Cheers!
Blackout-

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 11 Jul 2016 03:43

Blackout- wrote:ok cmarti... video is finally up! (HD took a while to upload but wanted to keep it HD)

https://youtu.be/8dLUJ3K6lmw

Cheers!
Blackout-
Thank Blackout, will check the video now.

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 11 Jul 2016 04:01

re: audible noise cmarti...in short...yes. the sound of the misting went away. So did the sound of a few crackles and pops actually! but there was still some background noise, and I don't have a recording of my actual record from 20 years ago before misting to compare. So its hard to know what it sounded like and whether the residual surface noise I can still hear is how it was. I also don't have a pro wet vacuum record cleaner (but I will be getting one). so it would be much easier to remove the very last remnants of the cleaner cream from deep within the grooves with one, and im sure that would improve things further. I would say a wet vacuum record cleaner machine would be very beneficial as a final procedure after the misting is removed.

But yes....much better sounding. And no degradation to the audio content...top end is still nice and clear and clean and no audible distortion.

you can hear from the quiet bit in the video between the tracks, there is not much woosh noise left. MUCH less than before.

But the proof is always in the pudding, please do it for yourself.

Cheers!
Blackout-

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » 11 Jul 2016 12:45

Well done, man - your persistence seems to be rewarded.

I'll head down the hill to the local Meguiar's shop today.

Again, thanks.

Blackout-

Post by Blackout- » 11 Jul 2016 14:57

great Mostly...looking forward to hearing how you go! make sure you report back!