My new way of cleaning Records .

how clean is your house
scho2684
long player
long player

My new way of cleaning Records....

Post by scho2684 » 03 Apr 2010 22:48

Finally after several months waiting for the new model ClearAudio Smart Matrix which never came I ordered a Okki Nokki, also a new model.
Much cheaper, and all quality aluminium as well

Together with a botle of Record Research Lab - Super Vinyl Wash

First impressions: Great!!
Looks: Great!!
Does the job right?: Absolutely!!

See the pics here, these are from the fabricator him self, mine is white also....available in black as well

Jorlsafar

Post by Jorlsafar » 21 Nov 2010 20:08

Hi scho!

Now that you've had your okki nokki for a while, are there any objections? It is
reasonably priced, but as I gather that I'll only buy one RCM during my
lifetime, it could be worth it to buy state of the art if the price difference is not
huge.

What's your most critical view as to the result? I don't mind noise at this price
point, but would really like my records clean and quite!

Thank you

:)

spilliton

Post by spilliton » 22 Nov 2010 06:45

Also curious on price, that looks pretty baller

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 22 Nov 2010 10:26

Well hello there!

I thought this posting would fade away in the archives without any comments to it.
Let me first say; I have no experience with other RCM’s

About the Okki Nokki (price: 395 euros);
I’m very very pleased with the results until now.
I only have used it with Record Research Lab - Super Vinyl Wash which works quiet well for me.
Records come of very clean, and it really surprised me what a win this is for your sound.
Sometimes a little pop will remain, but I have spoken with people that have state of the art cleaning machines, and they have that also...
After each 35/40 cleanings you must empty your reservoir, it really shows what have come of your records….

Build quality:
• The vacuum cleaner makes noise, I don’t care, and at least you won’t have any doubts if the vacuum part is working…
• Finishing is very nice, absolutely no complains.
• Vacuum tube is a metal one that will survive you in age…

Technical a few comments, but nothing that we cant solve;
• There is no main power switch, so when you plug it in, you hear a relay click, and then a little buzz from the transformer. Because of the switch absence, I just unplug it when I’m done. The reason for that relay is a little riddle to me….

• If you place the LP on the platter you need to fix it with a screw cap. This screw cap will damage your label, if you don’t put something between the cap and LP, so I use a big washer between the LP and cap, on where I put a thin rubber lining on one side to protect the label.

• When the platter is turning it sometimes makes a (silent) knack noise, what it is, I don’t know, I don’t care, it works...

Method:
The description says: put on the fluid while the LP is rotating clockwise, spread it with the supplied brush until the fluid is spread even, ten suck it up in about two revolutions, repeat this process but now with the LP rotating counter clockwise
Then do the other side of the LP.
So in total you will spread the fluid four times on one LP.

Timings;
I didn’t measure, and I don’t care, I just want my LP to be clean, so it sometimes might take a little longer than average

Supplied accessories:
• Brush
• Concentrated cleaning fluid
• Dustcover (optional 50 Euros)

I used the supplied brush in the beginning for the first forty records or so, then I bought a brush from Clearaudio, that one suppose to be a better one, but in the meantime I’m using the supplied brush again which is not bad at all!

It took me 70 LP’s to finish one bottle (1 litre) of cleaning fluid.

Conclusion:
Is it worthy the money? In my opinion: Absolutely!!
Will I buy this thing again? Absolutely!!

Strange enough I see the old model still being advertised more ten the new model, most likely a lot of shops still have the old model in their depot (finishing is really no compair to what it is now)

Marco

moon unit

Post by moon unit » 22 Nov 2010 20:10

spilliton wrote:Also curious on price, that looks pretty baller
$499, $549 w/cover

Jorlsafar

Post by Jorlsafar » 22 Nov 2010 21:35

Thank you so much scho for taking the time to write such an instructive review
and guide.

:D

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 04 Dec 2010 03:08

You're welcome...

Marco

wordwizard

Post by wordwizard » 10 Dec 2010 03:43

moon unit wrote:
spilliton wrote:Also curious on price, that looks pretty baller
$499, $549 w/cover
WOW... that's a pretty hefty price for about $75-$100 worth of components... --and not even a main power ON/OFF switch!

I guess what they say about audiophile products (and most other "enthusiasts") is right; if you price it low, people will think it's poop... :D :D :D --so might as well make the profit :D

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 10 Dec 2010 09:44

wordwizard wrote:WOW... that's a pretty hefty price for about $75-$100 worth of components... --and not even a main power ON/OFF switch!
You can do a better job?
If you can make the same (technical and finishing, and at least with the same result) for $150 I'll buy a complete warehouse full from you.
With on/off switch that is...

Have you ever thought about the worth of materials from your house?

Compair to what you can get for that kind of money, I think it's worth the price...

Marco

moon unit

Post by moon unit » 10 Dec 2010 10:59

Yeah, I'll take a dozen myself!

Considering that the Okki Nokki is the same machine as the Clearaudio Smart Matrix (US $1000) with just a slightly different exterior, it is actually quite the bargain here at half the price.

Post by Guest » 10 Dec 2010 18:15

scho2684 wrote:Well hello there!

I thought this posting would fade away in the archives without any comments to it.
Let me first say; I have no experience with other RCM’s

About the Okki Nokki (price: 395 euros);
I’m very very pleased with the results until now.
I only have used it with Record Research Lab - Super Vinyl Wash which works quiet well for me.
Records come of very clean, and it really surprised me what a win this is for your sound.
Sometimes a little pop will remain, but I have spoken with people that have state of the art cleaning machines, and they have that also...
After each 35/40 cleanings you must empty your reservoir, it really shows what have come of your records….

Build quality:
• The vacuum cleaner makes noise, I don’t care, and at least you won’t have any doubts if the vacuum part is working…
• Finishing is very nice, absolutely no complains.
• Vacuum tube is a metal one that will survive you in age…

Technical a few comments, but nothing that we cant solve;
• There is no main power switch, so when you plug it in, you hear a relay click, and then a little buzz from the transformer. Because of the switch absence, I just unplug it when I’m done. The reason for that relay is a little riddle to me….

• If you place the LP on the platter you need to fix it with a screw cap. This screw cap will damage your label, if you don’t put something between the cap and LP, so I use a big washer between the LP and cap, on where I put a thin rubber lining on one side to protect the label.

• When the platter is turning it sometimes makes a (silent) knack noise, what it is, I don’t know, I don’t care, it works...

Method:
The description says: put on the fluid while the LP is rotating clockwise, spread it with the supplied brush until the fluid is spread even, ten suck it up in about two revolutions, repeat this process but now with the LP rotating counter clockwise
Then do the other side of the LP.
So in total you will spread the fluid four times on one LP.

Timings;
I didn’t measure, and I don’t care, I just want my LP to be clean, so it sometimes might take a little longer than average

Supplied accessories:
• Brush
• Concentrated cleaning fluid
• Dustcover (optional 50 Euros)

I used the supplied brush in the beginning for the first forty records or so, then I bought a brush from Clearaudio, that one suppose to be a better one, but in the meantime I’m using the supplied brush again which is not bad at all!

It took me 70 LP’s to finish one bottle (1 litre) of cleaning fluid.

Conclusion:
Is it worthy the money? In my opinion: Absolutely!!
Will I buy this thing again? Absolutely!!

Strange enough I see the old model still being advertised more ten the new model, most likely a lot of shops still have the old model in their depot (finishing is really no compair to what it is now)

Marco
Hi Marco,
That Clearaudio brush seems to be identical to many that look identical but are branded with several different names and sold at different prices.
The one I have is simply labled "Carbon fibre cleaner" and has very narrow lines of fibres. I would prefer one with much thicker lines of fibres that did not bend under in use so easily if one was obtainable
Any comment?
Regards

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 10 Dec 2010 23:44

Hello Rocker,

The supplied Okki Nokki brush is a goat hear like thing with long hears
One or two hears will sometimes come of and that's why I tried the Clearaudio brush, wich is more like a very short fibre thing.

I think I have a better result with the Okki Nokki one, but I'm not quiet sure yet, maybe they give similar results.
I will keep on experimenting with this until I know for sure.

I'm not so sure about stiff fibre brushes, when is the point that you damage your record?

Maybe some kind of paintbrushes will do the job right?

Marco

Firochromis

Post by Firochromis » 16 Apr 2011 21:28

Nice review, thank you.. :)

What about motor-less devices like KAB? In that device suction is done with any home style vacuum with hose attachment. I think any home vacuum cleaners are at least 5 times more powerful than record cleaners' motors. So I presume that they would be more efficient, and added gain is motor-less devices are less expensive both in value and shipment. Do I miss anything?

Tedrick
long player
long player

Post by Tedrick » 17 Apr 2011 04:43

The vacuum in the VPI HW-16.5 is rated at 6.5 amps and is more than adequate for vacuuming water and dirt from the surface of a record. The record is dry in 2-3 rotations, depending on how heavy of an application of cleaning fluid was used. Any more power than that would be overkill.

I've found that hand-turning is not as convenient for scrubbing records, takes longer, and doesn't get them as clean, and therefore is decidedly less efficient.

rockitman

Post by rockitman » 18 Apr 2011 17:58

I have an Okki Nokki and have been very pleased. For the money, there is no better, imo. The VPI 16.5 has inferior construction compared to the Okki...mdf vs Aluminum and also has no auto shut off if the waste fluid tank is filled up leading to possible damage to the vacuum motor if the waste tank overflows. Given similar pricing, the choice was easy...Okki Nokki..Okki Dokki ? :P