That is definitely thinking outside the box... =D>
Well done mate. 8)

Mal.

Bluesnote
Australia

Re: Record cleaning machines ?

Post by Bluesnote » 17 Oct 2019 02:07

I'm back :D

I've been going through my stored records (20+ years in hiding) and have so far had great success with the Spin Clean and vacuum but. . I've come across one that still had problems 'The Rotters Club -'Hatfield and the North' I would have bought this soon after it's release in 1975 so it has a few years on it. Back in the day I wasn't too fussy about maintaining my collection and this one suffered as a consequence. This copy had a loop on the lead in on side one, very annoying, just sits going 'pop crack, pop crack and small pops throughout. . .

So, Mark 11 of the Grotty Notty is born - I've set up a Lazy Susan with a ply platter, and use a rubber door stop with a nut inserted to screw down and clamp the record. I can now go to town with a more vigorous clean, vacuum/ Spin Clean/ vacuum/ rinse vacuum. I have used a tooth pick on the lead in which actually worked, the record now plays through with hardly any pops, the spaces between tracks are all but silent - SUCCESS!!
Manual RCM 3.jpg
(62.41 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Manual RCM 4.jpg
(64.51000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Manual RCM 5.jpg
(67.08 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_nzfHP ... xH&index=2
How do you guys embed a YT clip?

Nice to revisit the talent of guitarist Phil Miller after all these years, this album was destined for the scrap heap, now has a new inner and outer sleeve and filed with my revamped collection :D

Chris

iShootRAW
Mexico

Post by iShootRAW » 17 Oct 2019 19:07

I love my Nitty Gritty Mini Pro 2. Really takes out a lot of the cracking and popping out of my records.

Pretorius
United States of America

Post by Pretorius » 17 Oct 2019 23:59

I was skeptical but lazy so I bought a used VPI HW-17 at great discount. The sonic results were extraordinary to me. Old noisy records suddenly sounded new. This was a revelation since I was collecting 50 year old blue note jazz records and where I thought there was permanent damage it often turned out to be merely dirt.

I am not going to spend a lot of time bulk cleaning records either so I really just want something that I can pass an old record through from storage on its way to the turntable or... a recently purchased used record just before playing. The VPI has a pretty big footprint and took up too much space and is also quite loud. After a year or so I upgraded to a Clearaudio Smart Matrix. Smaller footprint that fits on one shelf of my record storage. Maybe a little quieter... same technology with some slick german design.

One friend out of state was experimenting with the spin clean and was impressed with the results so I sent him the VPI HW-17 to save him the hassle I was too lazy to even try.

alexmacphee
Scotland

Post by alexmacphee » 21 Oct 2019 23:56

As a first approximation to a record cleaning system, I bought the Knosti wet cleaning bath. For the money, it worked far better than I expected, and several records I had that were visually immaculate but sounded coarse and crackly were suddenly perfectly playable with almost all surface noise removed. There is one record I have that was so noisy I wish I'd made a digital recording of it with something like Audacity, if only to show the spectacular before and after effect of cleaning. It now plays beautifully, and I have no evidence now of how bad it was.

The supplied cleaning fluid leaves an anti-static coating, which the stylus gathers up as a dust blob in time that can lift the stylus out of the groove. Research shows this is a common issue. I simply bought a second Knosti bath, and after the usual cleaning cycle through the cleaning fluid, rinse briefly under the tap then the disc is then rinsed in the second bath containing just fresh distilled water and a microscopic quantity of surfactant to break the surface tension of pure water. The result has been very clean records, and no dust accumulation on the stylus.

I suspect that the cleaning fluid could be easily replaced by a dilute mild good quality detergent solution.

I may end up with something ultrasonic, but right now, my two-bath wet clean is proving highly effective and cheap.

redavalanche
United States of America

Post by redavalanche » 23 Oct 2019 06:45

Micro fiber does indeed shed. I say that knowing some will disagree. Seen it been there. I wash microfiber only with other MF and with the proper MF detergent. Although you could probably get away with using regular detergent. You do not want to wash MF with other items. Do not use fabric softener ever or dryer sheets. But it will still have shedding. MF for glass is a shorter nap, waffle weave and does not shed as much.

Other than that I just started cleaning myself. Today was first day with ultra sonic(100 bux). First day with squeaky clean(used). First day with the Triton, Hepastat, ISO. Previously used 2 dent pullers, one on each side of record with goat hair brush for agitation over sink. Rinse and vac clean with https://www.ebay.com/itm/RECORD-CLEANER ... Sw44BYS0Xs.

I got good results with the sink cleaning method and the wet vac attachment. Not sure the ultra sonic is paying off yet. I do like the squeaky clean thing though. I wanted that over the spin clean so cant comment on spin clean. I made my own rotisserie for ultra sonic with filter. So this is the rabbit hole I guess for people who can spend 200-ish but not 2000.
Good luck.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 23 Oct 2019 07:02

redavalanche wrote:
23 Oct 2019 06:45
I made my own rotisserie for ultra sonic with filter. So this is the rabbit hole I guess for people who can spend 200-ish but not 2000.
Good luck.
Looking into this now, do you have pics of your rotisserie? I've watched several DIY videos so have a good idea of how I will approach my project. I'm coming across a few LPs now that still haven't responded to a good wet clean and vacuum.

Oddly it's the lead in and first 10 - 20mm that really have the crackles - just played side 1 of Santana Caravanserai, if you are familiar with it? It starts with the sound of crickets/cicadas chirping - well my copy sounds like breakfast cereal without the milk :mrgreen:

Let us know your results with ultrasonic please (before I invest more of my hard earned $$) :)

Chris

redavalanche
United States of America

Post by redavalanche » 24 Oct 2019 03:07

Back to the microfiber for a minute... I'm not trying to say dont use them, I use MF all the time. Just be aware they can shed and some have edges that can scratch. One last tip on MF. Many people prefer to wash them before use.

Bluesnote> Although I have been a member here for years it really only reflects how long I have wanted to play records it is not reflective of my experience cleaning or listening to records.

My record spinner is not fancy, just used what I had available mostly. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 24 Oct 2019 03:23

redavalanche wrote:
24 Oct 2019 03:07
Back to the microfiber for a minute... I'm not trying to say dont use them, I use MF all the time. Just be aware they can shed and some have edges that can scratch. One last tip on MF. Many people prefer to wash them before use.

Bluesnote> Although I have been a member here for years it really only reflects how long I have wanted to play records it is not reflective of my experience cleaning or listening to records.

My record spinner is not fancy, just used what I had available mostly. Let me know if you have any questions.
I can see that you have gone to some trouble building, looks neat - I guess the tube spacer is to accommodate 45s or am I mis-reading your images?

The real question for me is, can you detect an improvement before and after. I'm reading very mixed reviews, some glowing, some so so, and some quite negative. I appreciate a damaged disc will remain damaged, I'm more interested in the effect on discs with stubborn dirt - removing pops, crackle and surface noise. . .

Chris

redavalanche
United States of America

Post by redavalanche » 24 Oct 2019 05:38

The tube is a thread spool, the records go on each side. The spool and red discs have solid tool box liner glued to them so the records dont slip.

My second hand records were so dirty I never played them. So when I get a chance to listen it will be the first time I play them. I have a few I cleaned with the sink method. Maybe I can listen to one then run it through my new system and see if it gets better.

Not sure about the mixed reviews, thought the "in" crowd decided ultra sonic was the way to go. LOL.

Rob3000
United States of America

Post by Rob3000 » 29 Oct 2019 22:59

I just bought my Christmas gift early this year! The Kirmuss Audio KA-RC-1 Record Restoration Machine. This system uses an ultrasonic bath and mechanical brushing process with a surfactant. It is a multi-cycle process but so far the results have been eye and ear-opening! Granted, this is not a $200, or even $500 investment. All in, $950! Charles Kirmuss is the designer/inventor of this system and his machine, research and measurable results can be reviewed on the website: kirmussaudio.com.