Record cleaning machines ?

how clean is your house
Bluesnote
Australia

Re: Record cleaning machines ?

Post by Bluesnote » 07 Oct 2019 06:05

Adam, if you do go down the Spin Clean path let us know your thoughts. . .
I just find it a very straightforward process, accomplished without too much disruption in the kitchen lol. The whole kit and caboodle packs away in a cupboard when not being used.

Couple of pics, first showing a half turn, the label is clear of the solution and as I've said the the solution tracks the grooves. Second pic after one revolution no miniscus, the liquid is flowing deep into the grooves and dissolving greasy fingerprints etc. Third pic the disc drying after a rinse. In our climate you're ready to play about and hour or so after cleaning.

It's not the be all and end all, but it does have its place, and yes, next step for me will a vacuum system but maybe used in conjunction.

Chris - images loaded out of sequence #-o
Attachments
SC disc drying.jpg
(74.31999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
SC full spin.jpg
(60.59 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
SC half spin.jpg
(60.03 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 07 Oct 2019 10:26

I find vacuuming a superior method.

If you don't want to shell out for a whole machine, buy an old turntable just as a platform for cleaning, use a normal vaccum cleaner and just cut a notch in a crevice tool to vacuum the fluid off.

I used to do this and it worked as well as a record cleaning machine, just less convenient really.

I bought some old turntable at a market. It did not have the power to turn the record by itself (belt drive, direct drive might work but then the record has to be somehow clamped to the platter or will slip) so I just turned the record by hand.

I just used a household vacuum cleaner, not enough fluid went into the vacuum cleaner to do any damage, although I turned it on and off so often I eventually had to replace the switch. You could get a wet and dry vacuum cleaner but not really necessary.

In terms of the crevice tool, just cut a notch and I just stuck velvet around the notch so the record is not damaged.

All this for the cost of a long crevice tool and a cheapo old turntable.

DS

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 07 Oct 2019 14:42

Switched from various manual cleaning odds and ends to a Nitty Gritty 1.0 about 15 years ago. The improvement in sound was not subtle on even new records.

With a good vacuum based RCM there is no need to muck about with drying racks. My unit sits next to the turntable ready for immediate use with a dirty disc.

Newer methods with ultrasonic tanks may be superior but the expense and process limit my interest to try them.

On manual systems I find Disc Doctor bushes and method work very well. Combine Disc Doctor with a vacuum RCM and one can, perhaps, bring a truly grotty LP back from the dead.

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 07 Oct 2019 16:12

Adamo0926 wrote:
07 Oct 2019 05:06

Chris.....the more I think about it the more I am starting to believe that maybe I need to ditch the microfiber cloths that I have been using. Either that or wash them with a detergent recommended for microfiber. I never had this issue before so I am very suspicious that the wipe down with the current cloths is actually introducing dust, dirt, cat hair/dander, etc into the grooves when I wipe the surface down.

Should be an easy theory to test.....just use 2 new brand new microfiber cloths and see if that solves the problem.

There is just no way there could have been that much crap in those grooves. And I would think that once the stylus picked it up, then it wouldn't happen again. But it seems to happen each time I try to clean the surface of the LP, so I just have to believe something has gone awry during my cleaning....
I was drying my records with microfiber cloths, and they worked great for a while, but as the cloths got older (after a few washes), my stylus would be covered in their fibers by the end of a record. I read about using the synthetic towels from the car parts store -– the ones used for drying cars. I've been using one called The Absorber for years. It works great, and it has never worn out. There's a little bit of a learning curve -- you need to use a light touch to get it to wipe smoothly -- but I highly recommend it. I haven't found that it leaves a residue of any kind.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 07 Oct 2019 16:39

Kurt45 wrote:
07 Oct 2019 16:12
Adamo0926 wrote:
07 Oct 2019 05:06

Chris.....the more I think about it the more I am starting to believe that maybe I need to ditch the microfiber cloths that I have been using. Either that or wash them with a detergent recommended for microfiber. I never had this issue before so I am very suspicious that the wipe down with the current cloths is actually introducing dust, dirt, cat hair/dander, etc into the grooves when I wipe the surface down.

Should be an easy theory to test.....just use 2 new brand new microfiber cloths and see if that solves the problem.

There is just no way there could have been that much crap in those grooves. And I would think that once the stylus picked it up, then it wouldn't happen again. But it seems to happen each time I try to clean the surface of the LP, so I just have to believe something has gone awry during my cleaning....
I was drying my records with microfiber cloths, and they worked great for a while, but as the cloths got older (after a few washes), my stylus would be covered in their fibers by the end of a record. I read about using the synthetic towels from the car parts store -– the ones used for drying cars. I've been using one called The Absorber for years. It works great, and it has never worn out. There's a little bit of a learning curve -- you need to use a light touch to get it to wipe smoothly -- but I highly recommend it. I haven't found that it leaves a residue of any kind.
Well Kurt.....that makes a great deal of sense. I used to use The Absorber on my Mustang but the one I had dried out as I had neglected it. It's basically a synthetic chamois. And it would make sense that it would be safe to use to dry an LP if many trust it to not harm the paint on their expensive cars.

And I have now found that what you stated about microfiber cloths is absolutely correct. This morning I took the LP that I was having issues with and just did something basic with it. I rinsed it off using a stream of water, then took a brand new sponge and wiped the surface. Then I squeezed the excess water out of the sponge and went over the LP again lightly to soak up any excess water from the surface which left the surface of the LP damp. I then, don't cringe, used a blow dryer that I held far enough away from the LP to quickly dry the LP with the LP just barely getting warm to insure it would not get hot and warp.

So at no time did I wipe the surface of the LP with either of the microfibers that I had been using.

Result - I played the first side straight through with no degradation of sound and at the end of the side no crap was clinging to the stylus. So obviously when I was drying the surface with that older microfiber it was leaving fibers in the grooves which is why I could only play a song and a half before the stylus was completely covered.

So from now on when I clean an LP I will let it air dry, use The Absorber thing or blow it dry. But I will still probably try that Spin Clean machine and use that for my cleaning process. I read a post here about the Nitty Gritty 1.0 record cleaning machine that uses vacuum. And that might be something I will look into down the road. But they are pricey....saw a used one on Ebay for 399.99......

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 07 Oct 2019 16:58

Adamo0926 wrote:
07 Oct 2019 16:39
Well Kurt.....that makes a great deal of sense. I used to use The Absorber on my Mustang but the one I had dried out as I had neglected it. It's basically a synthetic chamois. And it would make sense that it would be safe to use to dry an LP if many trust it to not harm the paint on their expensive cars.

And I have now found that what you stated about microfiber cloths is absolutely correct. This morning I took the LP that I was having issues with and just did something basic with it. I rinsed it off using a stream of water, then took a brand new sponge and wiped the surface. Then I squeezed the excess water out of the sponge and went over the LP again lightly to soak up any excess water from the surface which left the surface of the LP damp. I then, don't cringe, used a blow dryer that I held far enough away from the LP to quickly dry the LP with the LP just barely getting warm to insure it would not get hot and warp.

So at no time did I wipe the surface of the LP with either of the microfibers that I had been using.

Result - I played the first side straight through with no degradation of sound and at the end of the side no crap was clinging to the stylus. So obviously when I was drying the surface with that older microfiber it was leaving fibers in the grooves which is why I could only play a song and a half before the stylus was completely covered.

So from now on when I clean an LP I will let it air dry, use The Absorber thing or blow it dry. But I will still probably try that Spin Clean machine and use that for my cleaning process. I read a post here about the Nitty Gritty 1.0 record cleaning machine that uses vacuum. And that might be something I will look into down the road. But they are pricey....saw a used one on Ebay for 399.99......
I have the Spin-clean and a VPI machine. I buy mostly used records, and everything goes through the Spin-clean before I play it, then if it sounds clean & quiet, I shelf it, but if still has some noise, I run it through the VPI. A lot of records sound fine to me after the Spin-clean, the ones that don't often sound cleaner after the VPI.

An added benefit is that the records I clean on the VPI are already pretty clean, so the felt on the wand doesn't get as dirty as it would if I put used records directly on the VPI.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 07 Oct 2019 23:04

Hi Adam,
Sounds like the synthetic chamois could be the way to go for removing most of the liquid, I worry about the hair dryer though as you could be introducing static?

I had a good google session last night here, in Australia entry level RCMs begin at around AUD$1000.00 most being well reviewed. Second hand pretty well non existent, one on ebay incomplete $650.00 plus delivery.

I did find this machine (Kuzma Vivac), no doubt a small boys toy compared with the semi professional entry level contenders like the Pro-Ject VC-S MK11 sold here for around $800.00

https://www.thpwcprnstyle.xyz/kuzma-vin ... -9230.html

This operates on 230v so for the US you would need a step down transformer - but this machine sells for US238.00 with free delivery.

The appeal for me is it is plug and play, no reinventing the wheel dashing off to hardware stores picking up bits and pieces including a small vacuum cleaner etc., (we have a stick vacuum so not suitable for this purpose). It looks like it would do the job, motorised wheel + vacuum. Small footprint as it doesn't have a full size wheel. I have seen a youtube video of a very similar machine demonstrated. My thinking is used with the Spin Clean it could be a pathway to an RCM at a very budget friendly price point.

Chris

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Oct 2019 06:56

Well, I love my Spin-Clean...It does what I need it to do! Plenty of others agree with me, too! :)

Now, I don't follow the recommended instructions to the letter, but have tweaked things to "my" perfection! You can read about my "process" here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 53&t=78969
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 53&t=77910
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 53&t=90935

Even Michael Fremer has reviewed it and he has a few more good tips for the budget-minded audiophile...

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 13 Oct 2019 23:45

I used to have a spin clean and while that's better than no cleaning at all I would just get a proper RCM if you can afford it , much better and faster . As for the stylus yes you can use a magic eraser but I use one of those Onzow zero dust cleaners for my stylus .

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 14 Oct 2019 01:14

I don't know if it is me or if my Spin-Clean is damaged or defective. I get mixed results. I found mine at a Value Village for 13 bux (about 10 real bux :us: ). I would have posted in the cheapskates and dumpster finds but I am disappointed. HWMBO actually found it for me, which is amazing as I had never mentioned wanting to try one and HWMBO "ALMOST" wouldn't know Lennon from Presley. Grimy records get the surface scrubbed better than a brush but I find the grooves are still noisy and relatively clean discs an sound worse. The fluid is dead after 10 discs, not the up to 50 that the manual states. I use my Nitty Gritty after and resleeve immediately unless the label needs to air dry. I find for the money if I need that level of scrubbing its off tothe sink with a cotton wash cloth, tepid running water and Sunlight dish detergent then rinse and use the usual manual solution with nylon art brush then Nitty Gritty. I also use a hospital cotton cloth from a previous visit to surgery to spin the disc as it vacuums so I get the edge dry too.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 14 Oct 2019 06:18

Bluesnote wrote:
07 Oct 2019 23:04

The appeal for me is it is plug and play, no reinventing the wheel dashing off to hardware stores picking up bits and pieces including a small vacuum cleaner etc., (we have a stick vacuum so not suitable for this purpose).

Chris
Well here's me eating my words :?

So I did dash off to the hardware store, bought some electrical conduit fitting, tube, a cheap wet vacuum - spent $46.00 aussie dollars :shock:

. . .and here we have the Grotty Knotty MK1 (no grot) lol
Manual RCM 2a.jpg
(64.53 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Manual RCM 2.jpg
(51.61 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Manual RCM 1a.jpg
(61.86 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
So, still using the Spin Clean, but now I can wet vacuum. As both sides are wet, I vacuum from the underside and flip the disc. This may sound crazy but this thing really works, and has made a difference to a record I had previously cleaned and improved it no end. Conclusion! Drip drying is OK, but vacuum will pull the grot from the grooves, and the record is dry enough to play moments later. The beauty here is the disc never touches a platter so no cross contamination when working on the second side.

Chris

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 14 Oct 2019 07:06

Hey Chris, that looks great! Did you happen to draw up plans? I bet others would love to try that. I could even see a self contained cabinet from a habitat store to hide the vac inside with a switched outlet on the side and the plumbing et al mounted nicely as you have in a permanent fashion. With a little ingenuity it could even "somewhat" please SWMBO. BTW, what did you use to spin the disc? I don't recognise the platter mechanism. What did you use to cover the slot with and do you find it is kind to the vinyl?

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 14 Oct 2019 07:40

circularvibes wrote:
14 Oct 2019 07:06
Hey Chris, that looks great! Did you happen to draw up plans? I bet others would love to try that. I could even see a self contained cabinet from a habitat store to hide the vac inside with a switched outlet on the side and the plumbing et al mounted nicely as you have in a permanent fashion. With a little ingenuity it could even "somewhat" please SWMBO. BTW, what did you use to spin the disc? I don't recognise the platter mechanism. What did you use to cover the slot with and do you find it is kind to the vinyl?
hahaha, No, I had the plans in my head as went off to sleep last night. My plan is to do exactly as you suggest, our local hardware store has a perfect cabinet for around $30.00 Aus. My plan is to fit the casters that came with the vacuum on the under side (it has no legs) so the whole thing can slide neatly under our servery. It comes with a shelf that I'll mount up high where I'll store new inner and outer liners.

The disc is spun manually, gently from the outer rim. I've used black velvet ribbon around the slot, affixed with a strong double sided tape.

The platter mechanism is a '1 way conduit junction box', I have a small bolt inserted from the inside and a piece of nylon tube to protect the LP hole, over the top is a plastic disc used as a backing for a tap fitting, just to add a little more support for the disc. The wand can be easily detached to accommodate changes for different cleaning solutions.
Conduit box.jpg
(40.55 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Remarkably simple once I dropped the idea of an arm/wand swinging over a turntable.

Chris

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 14 Oct 2019 11:15

Looks good, and a cheap solution which will work just as well as a bought RCM.

DS

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 14 Oct 2019 12:38

Hello,
I've made this one :
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/ ... d-cleaner/
I've bought the US machine and rotisserie motor from China and the record support from Owen. Very nice design very efficient.
I've used my DIY vacuum cleaner with a new head and microfiber cloth to make a suction drying system. Perfect.
Just my 2¢