Does record cleaning fluid expire?

how clean is your house
arcamguy

Does record cleaning fluid expire?

Post by arcamguy » 28 Sep 2019 18:35

Hello group,
I have some Spin Clean and Mobile Fidelity fluids that are a couple years old. Haven't done a serious cleaning session in that time; does cleaning fluid...and I also have some distilled water...go bad?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

theclosetguy
United States of America

Re: Does record cleaning fluid expire?

Post by theclosetguy » 01 Oct 2019 01:43

Cleaning solutions themselves don't expire. If they have alcohol in the mix, over time it will evaporate leaving the other ingredients. If I have not used my homemade mix for a few months I find it loses its alcohol smell. I usually pour what I have in my pint container back into my gallon mix and then reuse it.
Mike M

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 02 Oct 2019 16:58

It depends what chemicals are in the fluid. Certain detergents oxidize. Others are prone to fungal attack. As those manufacturers do not state what is in their solutions, you need to contact them and follow their guidelines. Distilled water does not go bad if stored properly (in a sterile, closed container that doesn't leech chemicals).

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 02 Oct 2019 18:22

Depends on what is in the fluid.

Distilled water is forever if not contaminated.

Isopropyl alcohol , once the container is open, is considered to have a shelf life of over three years - doesn't go bad, just less effective.

Enzymes may be adversely effected by temperature and light exposure.

So it depends on what the fluid is made from and how it is stored.

Tombo62
United States of America

Post by Tombo62 » 02 Oct 2019 18:53

Dear Vince,
I wonder if you could comment on the expected shelf life of products you have recommended for record cleaning. If I remember correctly, the Dow Chemical spec sheets for Tergitol S-3, S-7, S-9 states a one year shelf life if stored in the unopened original container. Triton X-100 has, I believe a two year stated shelf life. I suspect that this data may be more pertinent to a Bio-Chemist than someone cleaning records. Also, the quats, Hepastat 256, 3M Quat Disinfectant Cleaner, etc. What would be a good estimate as to how long these products will retain full effectiveness in a record cleaning solution.
Kindest Regards, and thank you for all the information that you have shared. Tom

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 02 Oct 2019 22:08

I agree that it depends on the fluid. I threw out some ancient Discwasher D4 fluid, on the basis that who knew what it had mutated into over a 40 year period, plus the fact that I'd rarely had any need for it.