What brush would be better?

how clean is your house
Canadianguy51
Canada

What brush would be better?

Post by Canadianguy51 » 28 Sep 2019 18:15

I already have a felt brush from the 80's but I noticed that this Fluance (VB52) Vinyl Record has 2-in-1 Anti-Static Carbon Fiber & Soft Velvet LP Brush. So this has soft brush in the middle.

Wouldn't this be a better all around brush compared to just one of the carbon fiber brushes?

Thanks

Tombo62
United States of America

Re: What brush would be better?

Post by Tombo62 » 03 Oct 2019 04:07

Hey, why not? I'll take a bite at this. I took a look at this item on Amazon, $20 and free shipping with prime, and it comes with a handy little stylus brush, often $8-12 bucks by itself. What's not to like. Apparently a fairly new product, there are only two reviews on Amazon, one quite negative, the other positive (with reservations). This brush does not look like it is of very good quality, but who knows, it may work just fine.

The better quality carbon fiber record brushes have electrical conductivity between a metallic handle and the carbon fibers. You can measure the resistance with an ohm meter. The idea is that the static is drained off the record through contact with human fingers holding the handle. In my experience, this does not seem dissipate a static charge as claimed. The cheaper carbon fiber brushes have plastic handles, with no conductivity to the fibers, have no chance in hell of reducing static, yet claim to be "anti-static" brushes, which is what appears to be the case here, as the manufacture makes no claim of conductivity between fibers and handle. The brush should be able to remove visible surface dust, but don't expect it to pull up micro-dust from the groove.

However, this brush also features a velvet pad on the opposite side. As in the old Discwasher brush, if lightly moistened with distilled water on the leading edge only, lightly pressing the moistened edge against the rotating record for one full rev or more, than rotating the brush to pickup any residual moisture, there is a fighting chance that the user could actually reduce the static charge and pick up more dust. The only problem with the velvet pad system, is that the pad picks up any grease or finger oils that might be on the record and transfers the grime to other records. If your cleaning brand new records, you could be alright for a while, with grimy thrift store finds you can get in trouble sooner rather than later. Get a clean toothbrush and brush off dust and debris between each record side. You can try to wash, rinse, and dry the pad every 30-50 record sides or so, or just buy a new one in a year or two.

The best thing I like about this package is that nifty little stylus brush, which I think you will love and continue to use for many years.

Best Regards, Tom

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 03 Oct 2019 05:15

Your signature says you are in Tdot, if you are downtown try Sonic Boom or Play De Record for accessories. One of them should carry the equivalent to the Super Exstatic which has the carbon fibres and velour in the middle. I use one and don't put much pressure on it. I only want the carbon fibres to touch the record and the pad inside gives the fibres some rigidity.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 03 Oct 2019 05:35

While many carbon record brushes claim they 'drain static electricity' most of them do not have conductivity between the bristles and the aluminium frame. I have 5 such brushes of different brands, only one actually is conductive between the handle and the bristles, the (newer) audioquest brush here - https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Anti- ... 06XK9V3KB/

The fluance brush seems similar to the hunt eda mark 6 brush, but splits the carbon/felt instead of combining them. Some people have complained about the hunt brush scratching vinyl, but they may have been using too much pressure (as many do with dry brushes).

While the felt seems like a good idea, my experience with the old 'discwasher' felt type brushes ended up causing static rather than reducing it when used dry. With the included d4 liquid they worked ok, but I'd rather not spread liquid over the album. If any liquid is going to touch my vinyl, its going to be followed with a rinse of distilled water and be removed with a vacuum based RCM.

IMO, the carbon brushes are just to lightly remove the surface dust and maybe help with static. For actual cleaning use a RCM system.

Canadianguy51
Canada

Post by Canadianguy51 » 03 Oct 2019 15:31

circularvibes wrote:
03 Oct 2019 05:15
Your signature says you are in Tdot, if you are downtown try Sonic Boom or Play De Record for accessories. One of them should carry the equivalent to the Super Exstatic which has the carbon fibres and velour in the middle. I use one and don't put much pressure on it. I only want the carbon fibres to touch the record and the pad inside gives the fibres some r

I am....cool thanks for the info! I see between Queen and Dundas..
Tombo62 wrote:
03 Oct 2019 04:07
Hey, why not? I'll take a bite at this. I took a look at this item on Amazon, $20 and free shipping with prime, and it comes with a handy little stylus brush, often $8-12 bucks by itself. What's not to like. Apparently a fairly new product, there are only two reviews on Amazon, one quite negative, the other positive (with reservations). This brush does not look like it is of very good quality, but who knows, it may work just fine.

The better quality carbon fiber record brushes have electrical conductivity between a metallic handle and the carbon fibers. You can measure the resistance with an ohm meter. The idea is that the static is drained off the record through contact with human fingers holding the handle. In my experience, this does not seem dissipate a static charge as claimed. The cheaper carbon fiber brushes have plastic handles, with no conductivity to the fibers, have no chance in hell of reducing static, yet claim to be "anti-static" brushes, which is what appears to be the case here, as the manufacture makes no claim of conductivity between fibers and handle. The brush should be able to remove visible surface dust, but don't expect it to pull up micro-dust from the groove.

However, this brush also features a velvet pad on the opposite side. As in the old Discwasher brush, if lightly moistened with distilled water on the leading edge only, lightly pressing the moistened edge against the rotating record for one full rev or more, than rotating the brush to pickup any residual moisture, there is a fighting chance that the user could actually reduce the static charge and pick up more dust. The only problem with the velvet pad system, is that the pad picks up any grease or finger oils that might be on the record and transfers the grime to other records. If your cleaning brand new records, you could be alright for a while, with grimy thrift store finds you can get in trouble sooner rather than later. Get a clean toothbrush and brush off dust and debris between each record side. You can try to wash, rinse, and dry the pad every 30-50 record sides or so, or just buy a new one in a year or two.

The best thing I like about this package is that nifty little stylus brush, which I think you will love and continue to use for many years.

Best Regards, Tom

You know I wasn't sure how those static brushes worked,so metalic handle. My velvet brush is so old, didn't think about it being so old and transfering grime onto other records yikes!. Definitely need a new one of those..just getting back into it again, forgot about these tips

Thanks