What mix for your cleaning solution?

how clean is your house
cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Re: What mix for your cleaning solution?

Post by cats squirrel » 03 Oct 2019 19:13

why don't you look on here to see what others are using?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 03 Oct 2019 19:59

Just to make this clear...right now...a couple drops of your favorite liquid dishwashing detergent is what you want to use..Dawn is very popular, but something that does not have a bunch of cosmetic additives is preferred. Scent, skin softeners and the like add nothing to the cleaning process. Some people like similar description hair shampoos (notably 2 in 1 varieties), primarily for the anti-static and silicone friction modifiers contained in them. I would again advise the simpler the formulation the better, and clear liquid v.s. the more cosmetic laden creamy white types. The 25% alcohol/75% distilled water is generally the peoples' choice as well, with a drop or two per liter of the detergent. Some like a drop or two of something like Finish dishwashing anti-spot liquid as well, but purely optional. Rinsed with distilled water, dry by your preferred method. Pretty straight forward and easy routine, very inexpensive, produces very good results for most people. This is not the rocket science that many make it out to be. :lol:

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 03 Oct 2019 21:08

I use Sunlight myself. It is marketed as a "dish detergent" When I make my solution, I use a small squirt into a 5 litre jug with my other additives. At that concentration it does not foam. When I have used Sunlight manually, I would use a stripe across the brush bristles and scrub under running water and rinse thoroughly. I use SUnlight in Canada as other dish detergents have unwanted additives or cause disastrous effects. I found Ivory to leach plasticisers immediately causing brittle plastic and on shellac discs caused the shellac surface to disintegrate. Palmolive seemed to leave behind an oily residue regardless of the amount of rinsing. I haave no idea how similar named products in other countries are formulated or how they will react.

My mix is one small squirt of Sunlight, one litre of 99% isopropyl alcohol, 5-10 ml Ilfotol, a squirt of Gain laundry detergent (helps with mold I find) and a smaller squirt (1-3 ml of Jet-Dry) added to four litres of distilled water. This is mixed in a well rinsed 5 litre laundry detergent dispenser to refill my 500 ml flip top bottle. This gets me through 6 months or more use. It stores well under the kitchen sink. I find I do not need a rinse and I use a Nitty Gritty to vacuum after brushing the liquid in both directions. I know others may feel the need to criticise my solution, but I find it works well and have used it for more than 4 years with no bad consequences. My stylus stays clean and my records sound good. I frequently have to clean grimy thrift store finds (20-30 a week) and have found success with my solution.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 03 Oct 2019 21:58

Might not be rocket science, but some of you are putting a lot of unnecessary ingredients in your mixes because of the lack of knowledge of what is in them. The linked post below (and others in that thread) might help you understand what is in stuff like Ilfotol and Jet Dry. I see people all the time using Photo-flo and adding Triton X-100 yet the detergent (wetting agent) is the same so it is just a waste.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php ... t-13100396

As for Sunlight, here are the ingredients:

https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/househo ... rodcat=all

and here: https://sds.diversey.com/private/docume ... ~~ANGH~~EN~~

Note that it contains alcohol (like Ivory does), which isn't recommended for shellac records. For vinyl, it is good because it contains a quat but contains a lot of anionics and a lot of other chemicals. See if you can spot them!

A little science goes a long way, we don't need to build rockets.

Tombo62
United States of America

Post by Tombo62 » 04 Oct 2019 04:45

Hey you, up in the north woods, Canadianguy51, I am pretty confused too, detergent, surfactant & soap are all the same thing. But, maybe I don't understand English very well. Maybe he means, don't use a bar of Lava hand soap on your records. In all seriousness though, if you want a cheap, easy, vinyl or shellac record cleaning formula, as recommend by the United States Library of Congress in the 2006 study of Best Practices by The National Recording Preservation Board, on page 27, I quote:

"When cleaning, start dry: Use dusting and vacuuming. Then, in descending order, try antistatic brushing, deionized water, “pure” (i.e., fragrance- and additive-free) liquid soap, and scrubbing. Mechanical disc washers are also commercially available." The paper is here:
https://clir.wordpress.clir.org/wp-cont ... pub137.pdf

How, here are my, most humble recommendations. In the US, there are 6 or 7 "Free & Clear" types of Dishwashing Liquids, some are "plant based" and "bio-degradable", others are regular dish soap with no unnecessary additives. Both are fine, the plant based ones are somewhat less potent, so a little more would be needed. In a pinch, if you can't get "free & clear" soap, just use whatever dish soap that you have. Distilled water is fine, no need to go deionized, and leave out the alcohol, there is no need for it, it will not add any benefit. On mixing ratio's, every soap is different, but you do want a bit of suds or foaming action when working it into the grooves with a record cleaning brush, the foam will help lift and suspend any particulate mater, so that it can be easily removed. Thoroughly remove the cleaning fluid and rinse thoroughly with distilled water, two rinses are better than one. Do not leave soap residue on the record. Do not allow the water to dry on the record, remove thoroughly with soft cotton cloth or vacuum system. I don't claim this to be the best of finest method of record cleaning, but for the money, it's hard to beat.

Best regards from the lower 48, Tom

Tombo62
United States of America

Post by Tombo62 » 04 Oct 2019 06:00

Oh Vince, The audiokarma link that you provided contains a wealth information that I had not previously read. Any advanced record collector that truly cares about sound quality and long term preservation for their vinyl media, would do well to study it carefully. Thank you, Tom