Best fluid to use on a record to clean it. Any ideas?

how clean is your house
josh00023
United States of America

Best fluid to use on a record to clean it. Any ideas?

Post by josh00023 » 09 Sep 2019 09:42

Looking for a good fluid to a record with. I have found that people make this up.
• Mix 1/4 of 96-99% isopropyl alcohol, 3/4 distilled water, a one or two drops of rinse agent.
However I know that you have to wipe it off and rinse it again with water.
I had been just been rinsing the records off with plain water for a long time. I have had record cleaning machines before, but that got to be too long of a process and to complicated on some of the machines. I have used the D4 solution also.
In the mixed solution above, do i have to rinse it off or can I let it just dry or dissipate on its own and play it?
Or is here another solution that I could mix up that would be safe and just as good?
I have used Dish soap, but only Palmolive on a record as it does not leave a film.

noisefreq
United States of America

Re: Best fluid to use on a record to clean it. Any ideas?

Post by noisefreq » 09 Sep 2019 14:28

If you just spray a little amount of cleaning solution on the record and use a dust brush to pick up dust as a maintenance cleaning, you should be OK.
If you're doing a wet cleaning, it may not be removing dirt from the surface.

I have found the less isopropyl alcohol in the solution the better. Like10%IPA to 90% distilled water or there abouts.
I believe rinse aid like JetDry is ionic and can cause static, so I quit using it and switched to Photoflo.
If you don't rinse, the less dish soap would be better.

I view it like this, the washing solution is loosening the dirt and grime from the vinyl surface.
The DISTILLED rinse water removes the dirt.

If you skip the rinse step, you aren't doing yourself any good.

I would propose you wash, rinse and VACUUM the vinyl.
This last step gets all the dirt out of the groove.
IMO this is the most important step.

Everyone has their own acceptable level of surface noise.
Your cleaning regiment will evolve to reflect this.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 09 Sep 2019 15:31

I have often wondered about this myself. My dad got me my first record cleaner for my birthday this past August. I have not used it yet. How do you know what cleaning methid is the, "right" one, if there are so many different ones around out there?

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 09 Sep 2019 23:52

The way I see it, you have at least 3 choices:

1. The "Lazy" way: Go with some off the shelf consumer cleaning product. The risk here is that NONE of these solutions were ever meant to clean PVC-PVA polymer discs, finely embossed for amplified audio reproduction. This includes most solutions you will read about on the internet, things like Dawn, Jet Dry, Photoflo, Windex, Wood Glue, Scrubbing bubbles, etc. They often clean, but NO consideration is given to what they leave behind, what they extract, or the long term damage they do.

2. The "Safe" way: Buy a commercial record cleaning product. The downside here is high cost, but there is (usually) some research into the chemical make up of these with specific application to lp records. There are many choices, none are terrible but only a few are exceptional and you compromise on a universal approach. A good example is L'Art du Son and several others.

3. The "DIY" way: Make your own solution using pure ingredients that have been utilized on records by preservationists. Typically, these are the same as those used in commercial products, but you can include things (like antistats and biocides, for example) that they do not and modify concentrations and chemical components based on your application (hand cleaning is different than ultrasonic tank cleaning; a moldy thrift find is different than a new record; an initial deep clean is different than a daily wipe; Cheetos fingerprints or cigarette smoke are different than light dust, and so on...). Good examples are non-ionic detergents like certain Terigtols and Tritons, often combined with quaternary ammonium surfactants and a bit of alcohol. The downside is that you will need to seek out the ingredients (some are to hard to find in certain countries), know their properties (requires some basic chemistry), and be willing to experiment (not everyone wants or has time for this).

So, there are many ways to skin this cat. I recommend you read as much as you can in this subforum, as your question is exactly what the whole thing is about. Then you can choose what works for you. I frequently use the cooking analogy: If there was one best way to cook a particular meal, we wouldn't need so many cookbooks on the subject. How deep do you want to go and how do you define "Best"?

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 11 Sep 2019 14:51

Thanks.
I have a couple of records that I tried to clean the other day using my new record cleaner, and it didn't really do anything for making the sound better. So, either I didn't do it right, or didn't do a deep enough cleaning. Someone said in a another topic that in order to give a record a deep clean you place it on a flat serfous, but what kind of a flat serfous?

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 11 Sep 2019 15:00

Whatever it takes to hold the record still while you rub it with a brush of cloth.
I use a rubber platter mat on a microfiber towel laid on the corner of a countertop.
Some use a junk record player so they can turn the record as they clean.
I've also seen people use a lazy susan to turn the record as they clean.
I just used what I had in the house.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 14 Sep 2019 01:12

I’ve been thinking Nitric Acid might work well. It does not attack PVC in non fumic concentrations.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 14 Sep 2019 01:48

No, No, No to any acid. Research breakdown of PVC under acidic conditions. The reaction is auto-catalytic. Very bad for longevity and etching (loss of lubrication = noise). Same reason I am against Jet-dry (pH in the 2's), though you see internet people recommend it all the time.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 18 Sep 2019 01:07

Plain water would do basic the cleaning.