Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

how clean is your house
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11253
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by cafe latte » 14 Sep 2019 12:16

countingteeth wrote:
14 Sep 2019 10:49
cafe latte wrote:
14 Sep 2019 09:19
countingteeth wrote:
14 Sep 2019 07:26



The contaminants the Discwasher absorbs go into the bath of a Disco Anti-Stat ?
The bath is large and if 8 records are cleaned and rinsed there are no issues.
Chris
Are you sure you are using this :

https://www.etsy.com/listing/126938646/ ... -record-lp
No google Disco antistat.
Chris

vince1
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 218
Joined: 03 Dec 2014 16:32

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by vince1 » 14 Sep 2019 13:32

Ok, I see now Chris. We have been talking about two totally different things. Originally, the Discwasher brush was what we were discussing, not a disc-washing tank device.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1093
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 19:51
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by ripblade » 14 Sep 2019 15:10

cafe latte wrote:
14 Sep 2019 05:14
ripblade wrote:
14 Sep 2019 03:12
The original Discwasher was never intended to be a wet clean record washer, but an on-deck duster that used humidity to help dust stick to the bristles. Compared to the other 'cleaners' available at the time, it was pretty good if used and maintained correctly.

I understand there's a new one based on a full wet cleaning system with replaceable pads. It's not something I'd recommend, for all the reasons vince1 listed above.
Mine is a disco antistat ad it has brushes not pads which I think are better than pads.
Chris
Ok, so you're not talking about the name brand Discwasher, then. It's a completely different product intended to remove light dust between plays. The bottle of fluid that fits in the handle should last a year or two, spinning records every day.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/65/9a ... 1cfca7.jpg

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11253
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by cafe latte » 15 Sep 2019 00:44

ripblade wrote:
14 Sep 2019 15:10
cafe latte wrote:
14 Sep 2019 05:14
ripblade wrote:
14 Sep 2019 03:12
The original Discwasher was never intended to be a wet clean record washer, but an on-deck duster that used humidity to help dust stick to the bristles. Compared to the other 'cleaners' available at the time, it was pretty good if used and maintained correctly.

I understand there's a new one based on a full wet cleaning system with replaceable pads. It's not something I'd recommend, for all the reasons vince1 listed above.
Mine is a disco antistat ad it has brushes not pads which I think are better than pads.
Chris
Ok, so you're not talking about the name brand Discwasher, then. It's a completely different product intended to remove light dust between plays. The bottle of fluid that fits in the handle should last a year or two, spinning records every day.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/65/9a ... 1cfca7.jpg
No this is what I have, but fluid needs to go directly in the bin and make your ownm rest is very good though.
https://www.audiotrends.com.au/knosti-d ... wYEALw_wcB
Chris

dagfinn
senior member
senior member
Norway
Posts: 301
Joined: 09 Jun 2019 00:29

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by dagfinn » 16 Sep 2019 14:35

My carbo-vac prototype. 10mm silikone hose, tape. Vacuum goes in the end ;).
brush.jpg
(51.66 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
carbo-vac.jpg
(29.07 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

circularvibes
long player
long player
Posts: 1422
Joined: 24 Sep 2010 02:09
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by circularvibes » 16 Sep 2019 19:44

Dagfinn, I like your idea. I would likely use goat hair or nylon artist brushes but the prototype otherwise looks affordable and very capable of doing a good job. It could also be adapted for different size records very easily. Thanks for sharing your idea.

dagfinn
senior member
senior member
Norway
Posts: 301
Joined: 09 Jun 2019 00:29

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by dagfinn » 16 Sep 2019 21:54

Thank you, happy to share :). Easy to make and cheap. It works well, I regularly have to clean the holes for "lint" and never have to stop to remove dust from my stylus. I'm connecting it to my regular house vacuum, but I may look for a smaller and less noisy one dedicated to the job. Perhaps next version will have a longer silicon hose so I can hide the vacuum and shorten the regular hose.

ravelax
member
member
Sweden
Posts: 211
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 16:15

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by ravelax » 17 Sep 2019 20:55

That's a brilliant contraption! I think I'll go make one myself!

mvno_subscriber
member
member
Norway
Posts: 25
Joined: 27 May 2019 16:54

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by mvno_subscriber » 18 Sep 2019 14:58

I find this thread very interesting. I use a combination of ultrasound (Vinyl Cleaner Pro) and a Knosti. I always end my cleanings by applying a coat of fresh Knosti-fluid in order to get an anti static coating, and never thought it left any unwanted residue. However, I've also noticed I needed to play the records a time or two after cleaning before they sounded their best.

Quats are hard to come by where I live, so I'm not sure what to use if not the Knosti fluid for anti static treatment. I've tried making something close to vince1's super formula by using a premade dilution of Triton X100 combined with isopropyl alcohol (2-4%), but in the ultrasound cleaner foaming is an issue. I've also swapped the X100 mix with a capful of SpinClean fluid+IPA due to laziness (plus it doesn't foam as much).

I buy a lot of really dirty records, and often the US cleaning isn't enough - so Knosti + a nail brush and prayers tend to be necessary. But I digress... it's a fun hobby :)

chgc
senior member
senior member
Posts: 403
Joined: 20 Jan 2018 20:54

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by chgc » 18 Sep 2019 15:23

I am coming to the conclusion that playing the record is the final stage of the cleaning process. It seems that many of the records I remember as having a lot of pops and clicks, are quiet now that I have played them a few times. The fact that I switch carts and turntables makes me less than certain.

mvno_subscriber
member
member
Norway
Posts: 25
Joined: 27 May 2019 16:54

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by mvno_subscriber » 18 Sep 2019 15:58

I can definitely attest to this. Makes sense that the stylus, which actually get into the groove, is able to scrape loose debris.

However, I don't have a vacuum RCM and I suspect the way I clean don't necessarily dissolve stuff as well as other methods.

If I look on a typical old, dirty record using high magnification, I typically see a lot of white stuff in the grooves (I've attached an example). Normal cleaning removes some, a nail brush removed more, and playing multiple times help. But I guess soaking and vacuuming would perhaps be the missing part here.

Anyone knows what the white stuff is, btw? It seems pretty universal.
Attachments
7E820D92-AADA-4FC3-98CE-8B1035133D20.jpeg
(310.77 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11253
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by cafe latte » 18 Sep 2019 22:20

mvno_subscriber wrote:
18 Sep 2019 15:58
I can definitely attest to this. Makes sense that the stylus, which actually get into the groove, is able to scrape loose debris.

However, I don't have a vacuum RCM and I suspect the way I clean don't necessarily dissolve stuff as well as other methods.

If I look on a typical old, dirty record using high magnification, I typically see a lot of white stuff in the grooves (I've attached an example). Normal cleaning removes some, a nail brush removed more, and playing multiple times help. But I guess soaking and vacuuming would perhaps be the missing part here.

Anyone knows what the white stuff is, btw? It seems pretty universal.
Mold?

GuidoK
member
member
Posts: 102
Joined: 05 Dec 2007 21:20
Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by GuidoK » 19 Sep 2019 00:54

ROY_H wrote:
05 Sep 2019 20:36

<5% Non-ionic and amphoteric detergents, Benzalkonium chloride.
Recognise those from previous cleaning discussions? Especially the quat content?

I believe the fluff on first play is being released because of the neutralisation of the charge by the quat.
Don't you think the fluff is the benzalkoniumcloride that is left behind? Scraped of the groove walls as the stylus passes by?
It's a hygroscopic powder that can also manifest itself as almost a gelatinous consistency.
Great for removing fungi though.

I wonder if the knosti solution (famous for its 'knostifluff') uses the same family of chemicals as wetting agent.
(knostifluff is not a fiberous fluff coming from a towel or such, its a chemical residue)

BTW everything that leaves a fluff behind is a no go imho. As with knostifluff, if you leave it on and keep playing with it, it can develop in very sticky gunk sometimes difficult to remove without the use of solvents, and I don't like to use solvents on my stylus tip.

I myself use tetramethyldecynediol as a wetting agent in my cleaning brew (33% ipa, 66% demineralized water and 1-5ml/L wetting agent).

chgc
senior member
senior member
Posts: 403
Joined: 20 Jan 2018 20:54

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by chgc » 19 Sep 2019 01:34

I don’t know what that white stuff is, but I find the ultrasonic cleaner does a pretty good job with mostly water and a little alcohol and surfactant.
record grooves.jpg
(82.70999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

mvno_subscriber
member
member
Norway
Posts: 25
Joined: 27 May 2019 16:54

Re: Cleaning Vinyl (Again!)- An Interesting Method

Post by mvno_subscriber » 19 Sep 2019 08:37

chgc wrote:
19 Sep 2019 01:34
I don’t know what that white stuff is, but I find the ultrasonic cleaner does a pretty good job with mostly water and a little alcohol and surfactant
Yes, I do the same and for the most part it works ok. But there are lots of old, crusty records where the US doesn't really get rid of everything. Maybe I'll try running the record through multiple times. I've been a bit afraid of whether that could possibly be harmful to the record or not.

Even though I have a purpose built US cleaner for records, I've seen what can happen if too much power / wrong frequencies are applied. Since my knowledge regarding what's bad/what's not is rather limited, I'm a bit afraid to test it out :oops: