Residue on Vinyl Left Out

how clean is your house
tylerr2355
United States of America

Residue on Vinyl Left Out

Post by tylerr2355 » 29 Aug 2019 10:05

Hey, I've been collecting for quite some time now but I just started experiencing something that I've never seen or heard of before. A lot of times I'll leave records on the turntable for long periods of time, usually because I get distracted and forget about it or am feeling too lazy to put it away. Recently, after doing so and coming back to the record that has been left out, a sort of clear and thin but noticeable residue has formed on the surface of the record. Depending on how long the record was left out, the reside seems thicker and more noticeable. It is also most noticable on standard black vinyl. Out of curiosity, I've tried playing the record while coated in the strange substance, but it didn't make a significant or obvious difference in sound quality (maybe my hearing just isn't sensitive enough to notice). The residue comes off easily with a few wipes from my velvet record brush, so it's not a major issue, but it's still a slight inconvenience. Only the side of the record that is exposed develops the residue and it appears even when the dust cover of my AT-LP60 is down. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar or has any idea what could be happening and how I could solve the problem. It might be helpful to know that I'm living in Arizona where the tempurature is currently 100+ most of the day and the climate is very dry, but my records and player are kept in a well air-conditioned room.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Re: Residue on Vinyl Left Out

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 29 Aug 2019 15:19

Hmm, I've never seen or heard of this either! I have an AT LP 120 and I really love mine!
Have you tried researching this at all? I'm going to try and research and see what comes up.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 29 Aug 2019 15:46

tylerr2355 wrote:
29 Aug 2019 10:05
..........A lot of times I'll leave records on the turntable for long periods of time, ......
Your mother was right when she said, "When you're done playing with your toys put them away".

Put your records away and cover your turntable. Get a decent record cleaner.

Check the filters (or have your landlord check 'em) on your Air Conditioning system. Whatever goo is in the air you're breathing it too.

Does not sound good.

tylerr2355
United States of America

Post by tylerr2355 » 30 Aug 2019 00:28

pivot wrote:
29 Aug 2019 15:46
Check the filters (or have your landlord check 'em) on your Air Conditioning system. Whatever goo is in the air you're breathing it too.
That's also something I'm a little worried about but it's definitely strange that vinyl records are the only thing that whatever it is becomes noticeable on. Maybe static is attracting whatever it is? And that I seem to be the only one who seems to have ever experienced this sort of thing is strange to me too.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 30 Aug 2019 15:21

Does anyone in your house smoke?
Any automatic plug-in air fresheners?
Is your turntable near the kitchen (i.e., stove top where cooking is going on)?
Do you notice anything else in the house getting coated?

If the turntable is beneath a vent in the ceiling, it could be blowing stuff onto it.

tylerr2355
United States of America

Post by tylerr2355 » 30 Aug 2019 20:04

jdjohn wrote:
30 Aug 2019 15:21
Does anyone in your house smoke?
Any automatic plug-in air fresheners?
Is your turntable near the kitchen (i.e., stove top where cooking is going on)?
Do you notice anything else in the house getting coated?

If the turntable is beneath a vent in the ceiling, it could be blowing stuff onto it.
No smokers or air fresheners or anything like that. The room is pretty secluded from the rest of the house and I'm not pumping anything into the air myself so if anything, it would have to be coming from the vent. Also, haven't noticed anything else getting covered which is particularly strange. If I had to guess why, I'd say maybe it has to do with the static from the vinyl that maybe attracts whatever it is? The vent is a good distance from the turntable but it does blow in that direction.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 30 Aug 2019 20:33

Strange question, when you close the lid without a record on the platter, is there the same residue on the platter mat? Does the platter mat feel strange or smell like anything but rubber?

tylerr2355
United States of America

Post by tylerr2355 » 30 Aug 2019 20:38

circularvibes wrote:
30 Aug 2019 20:33
Strange question, when you close the lid without a record on the platter, is there the same residue on the platter mat? Does the platter mat feel strange or smell like anything but rubber?
I actually use a felt slipmat on my turntable (although I'd love to upgrade to cork one of these days) but there's no weird residue or smell on that either.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 30 Aug 2019 20:39

Do you live in the city or in the country?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 30 Aug 2019 20:53

I am still thinking there may be a contaminant on the platter mat and the "residue" is deposited on the vinyl and visible when flipped over. The felt mat dispells my inital theory of rubber leaching chemicals. That is usually encountered on platter mats from before 1970.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 30 Aug 2019 21:16

Vinyl is great insulator and attracts static like no one's business. And being in the dry desert air makes it worse. I'm wondering now if it might be fine sand particles in the air being attracted to the vinyl. If you touch the 'residue' and rub between your fingers, how does it feel? Greasy, gritty, smooth like (very) fine sand? Of course sand it basically silicone, and a thin layer might look shiny on a black vinyl record. Maybe rub some off of your velvet brush onto a piece of paper or something for closer examination. If you could then put it under magnification, you might get more clues.

When you play a record without wiping first, you said it still sounds okay, but does it leave a buildup of gunk on your stylus?

tylerr2355
United States of America

Post by tylerr2355 » 31 Aug 2019 02:56

Pauw wrote:
30 Aug 2019 20:39
Do you live in the city or in the country?
A little of both. It's a fairly urban area but still very desert-y being in the middle of Arizona.
circularvibes wrote:
30 Aug 2019 20:53
I am still thinking there may be a contaminant on the platter mat and the "residue" is deposited on the vinyl and visible when flipped over. The felt mat dispells my inital theory of rubber leaching chemicals. That is usually encountered on platter mats from before 1970.
I don't think it has to do with the slipmat mainly because I've been using the same one for so long with no issues and because when I flip the record over, the side that was on the slipmat is completely fine. It seems to develop over time from something in the air on only the side that is exposed.
jdjohn wrote:
30 Aug 2019 21:16
I'm wondering now if it might be fine sand particles in the air being attracted to the vinyl. If you touch the 'residue' and rub between your fingers, how does it feel?
You could be on to something here. I'm not near my record player now so I can't test this at the moment, but I will be sure to. Another theory I have is that humity or water in the air (although it's very dry outside, it could very well be some level of humid inside the house) mixed with the general heat of AZ could be causing water to be attracted to and condense on the surface of the vinyl. The reside does resemble a gray-ish smokey substance. I can't imagine that I would be the only one experiencing this if it is the case though considering people that collect vinyl in much more humid climates and locations.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 31 Aug 2019 05:27

Moving in a totally different direction here, but is there anything unique or interesting in your record cleaning procedure or your pre-play routine, such as liquid applied to your brush before play. Being as how you notice this coating after having left an album on the platter, it does suggest a possible chemical change occurring as the record sits on the TT for a while. Just thinking out loud..... [-X :?:

tylerr2355
United States of America

Post by tylerr2355 » 31 Aug 2019 05:35

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
31 Aug 2019 05:27
is there anything unique or interesting in your record cleaning procedure or your pre-play routine, such as liquid applied to your brush before play. [-X :?:
I don't clean my records too often as most of them are relatively new anyways. If I do notice a bit of dust or something I'll usually just use the velvet brush dry. In the rate circumstance that the dry brush doesn't pick up all the dust or I still notice a bit of crackle I'll use just a basic record cleaning solution on the brush. I will note though that the residue appeared on a brand new record that was played just after removing from shrink wrap without cleaning of any kind.