Brand new record so crackly

how clean is your house
Tombo62
United States of America

Re: Brand new record so crackly

Post by Tombo62 » 11 Jul 2019 04:42

Apparently, there is no "best" method of record cleaning, but over time you will get a better idea of what works best for you. Some people have said that when playing a vinyl record with a strong static charge (a high voltage potential) that they may hear an occasional "pop" or "crack" through their speakers, presumably when the static discharges in an arc to a ground pin of the cartridge or through a metallic cantilever. I have been playing records for over 55 years and can't say that I have ever heard any noise due to static. One thing about static though, is that it will attract dust particles from the air and pull them to the record surface. The stronger the static charge, the more dust will be attracted to the record. It's possible, with a high static charge, to start out with a perfectly clean record and before it's done playing, it can become coated with 100's of dust particles. I don't think that static was your problem and very much hope that the new record is better than the old.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 12 Jul 2019 16:05

Static can cause the crackles. This is actually one of the primary reasons I wet clean everything before playing. Then again, I live in a location with extremely low relative humidity, so static is ALWAYS an issue for me.

Tombo62
United States of America

Post by Tombo62 » 14 Jul 2019 00:19

Apparently, I have way to much spare time and very much need "to get a life". But never the less, I was intrigued by the last post and attempted to induce a static charge that would produce some "crackles". On the first three records I was totally unsuccessful at producing a charge. Then I realised that these were all recently played records that had been cleaned with a quat-triton X-100 cleaning formula that is said to have anti-static properties. So I pulled a Mozart box set off the shelf that I had not played in 30 years. The records appeared to be in NM condition with some notable specks of dust on the surface. I played the Overture to "The Marriage of Figaro" and heard crisp, clear sound with a few random tics, presumably caused by the dust, but no crackle. I then took a small clean cotton hand towel, folded, and held it to the record surface while it rotated on the turntable for about 15 revolutions. To check for static I was using a Kleenex laid on the record surface, then lifting the record and turning it to a vertical, upright position. On the first three records, the Kleenex fell right off, but on the Figaro it clung tightly and was only dislodged by a few violent shakes. I felt that I had achieved a significant static charge and played the record again. There was absolutely no crackle or pops of any kind and in fact the noise floor was lower than the first time I played it, due to a lower number of light ticks caused by dust particles, which were presumably removed by the hand towel. The temp was 74 degrees F and the RH was 46%. In the previous post, the gentleman stated that he lives in an area with very low RH, and I would suppose that's it's very possible that he can develop a static charge with a much higher voltage potential, on the order of 5-20 kV, where in my climate it will only get to 1-2 kV. Although, in the winter, the RH does get pretty low here, and I have never heard any crackle from static. On another note, in a brief web search of crackle on vinyl records, it appears that this has become a very common problem on new vinyl releases, and is often attributed to worn out stampers or poor quality vinyl compound using a higher than normal percentage of recycled material.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 14 Jul 2019 01:34

Tucson's average humidity for the year is about 10% less than yours currently is (although it just rained, so it's 52% right now, and feels balmy) I've have records that are charged enough that mofi sleeves stick to them. We're an outlier, to be sure, but I've had more than a few crackly records settle down by hitting it with a zerostat, during play (typically in April - Jul, when we're between 15% and 25%). Before living here, I'd really never given humidity and SQ a thought, other than just dust attraction annoyance. If I mail order, you can hear the static as you remove the record from the sleeve. It's amazing.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 15 Jul 2019 22:48

I like Jack White's music, including Lazaretto, but I get annoyed with the special 'features' on that album. I always find it difficult to get that one side started from the inside-out, and always scratch my head about what (if any) anti-skate adjustment to make. He is a lover of vinyl, and vintage stuff in general. If you haven't already, you can check out his retail storefront at www.thirdmanrecords.com . It is located here in Nashville, and you can actually go to the bricks-and-mortar store there and look around. Okay, I haven't done it myself since it's kind of a touristy thing, but maybe some day.

Tombo has experienced what I have with the cleaning solution that includes a quat. It has anti-static properties due to the slight opposite charge it applies to the vinyl.

Lazaretto, being a thicker 180g(?) record, means it will hold a charge more readily. The modern, thicker pressings at 180 or 200g will have more static problems than older, thinner pressings. Vinyl is a great medium for storing static electricity, so thicker, purer vinyl equals more static.

Funny thing yesterday: I purchased a used record at a store, got it home, did a quick brushing before playing, and noticed a lot of static. With one hand on the record, I reached with my other hand to a nearby light switch and rubbed around on the screw heads that secure the switch plate cover. I felt a small charge go through my body, and the static on the record was gone :)

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 19 Jul 2019 23:41

Some great posts above guys, thanks very much.

Would just like to let you know that I got my replacement copy today, and...... It is just as awful. I didn’t clean this one to begin so as not to add any static. And wow, the crackles are still just as bad and it sounds dull.

I’ve googled it now and there are some posts on Reddit from people with the exact same issues. So I guess it really is just badly made and seems maybe they were more bothered about the special features on there.

It’s a real shame, it’s a great album and Jack White really does seem to be a lover of vinyl.

Oh well :-(

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 15 Oct 2019 15:02

I am not quite sure why no one in threads like this mentions that it could be due to the composition of the vinyl itself, such as the use of recycled or vinyl composites. It is not always what is on the vinyl, such as dust and particles that will cause noise. It can be the very material that the record is made of that causes the very same noise people are trying to scrub away.