Brand new record so crackly

how clean is your house
mrjaffa
Great Britain

Brand new record so crackly

Post by mrjaffa » 07 Jul 2019 19:51

Bought a new vinyl, Jack White Lazaretto, and really disappointed with how crackly it sounds. It’s not the first I’ve bought that has this problem.

I recently did buy one of the anti static brushes which included a little stylus brush. And also a micro fibre cloth with a cleaning solution.

I used these on the new vinyl to see if that helped and cleaned the stylus... Nope. I then just washed it at the sink with some soap. I watched many a video on YouTube and somehow still don’t really know what to go and buy.

I’m quite confident the record is relatively dust free, its new after all (I did say relatively, I know there will still be dust there). So, are the crackles mainly from static?

P.s. The vinyl itself is quite quirky, has a hidden track whe you play the label and side A plays from the inside to the outside. Very cool!

chgc

Re: Brand new record so crackly

Post by chgc » 07 Jul 2019 22:23

Maybe it’s part of the music? I’m only half kidding.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 07 Jul 2019 23:48

Definitely not, lol. I tried listening on Apple Music too which sounded way better. It’s not just the crackles. I just don’t think I’m getting the best sound.

If I knew a new cartridge and pre amp would have definite improvements, I’d go and splash the cash.

chgc

Post by chgc » 08 Jul 2019 01:27

Quality control on some of today’s records is not great, but I’m not sure Jack White is an audiophile…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DijEmX4j5gs

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 08 Jul 2019 02:24

It really depends on the quality of the pressing - I have that record from when it first came out and mine was fairly quiet on my Clearaudio and Pro-ject tables at the time. Good music but hardly an audiophile recording.

Not sure what your equipment is but yes a quieter phono pre amp is always a good investment. In fact a quiet pre-amp, a high quality record player and an inexpensive but good cartridge will often sound better than a fancy cartridge on a cheaper turntable and pre-amp.

I recently had a chance to try a new series Rega turntable with a cheap Rega Carbon cartridge through my Clearaudio Phono pre (which has Nordost power cord and interconnect) and it sounded better than my Ortofon Quintet Blue on my Technics 1200 through the same set up. Of course my Clearaudio Concept with AT 440 mLA bettered both combinations through the same pre-amp.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Jul 2019 03:01

Will somebody with some position of authority here please present a concise definition of "audiophile" that we will all be obligated to use when referring to the term itself. Seems a whole lot of people assume it is synonymous with "He who has the most expensive toys when he dies, wins." This kind of thinking is far from the truth, and arrogant and self-service to say the least. Broadly defined, an audiophile is someone who is passionate and dedicated to audio fidelity and quality sound reproduction. To suggest that someone like Jack White may not be an audiophile is simply ill-informed/ignorant of the facts. That kind of gross over-generalization would result in Beethoven not being considered an audiophile, since he was essentially deaf in his later career and tormented by roaring tinnitus. Definitely not qualified by the "qualifiers" that too many people on this and similar sites throw around. Used to be that this site was a source of support and information. Sadly, that is no longer the case too often. Constructive criticism is one thing, but character assassination and derogatory commentary is not fitting on a site that others come to for a more positive input and support. To that end....Jack White is highly regarded as an audiophile, artist, producer and recording artist. He is one of the champions of quality in today's recording industry. Not sure what the issue is with this particular album, but very unlikely to have any direct connection with Mr. White's input. Distribution network might have a role in the poor sound, but doubtful. I suggest you try to define the problem by playing on a known good sounding system first to determine if it is indeed something to do with the album. More information will definitely help here. More facts, less supposition and conjecture please. :roll:

chgc

Post by chgc » 08 Jul 2019 03:46

Gee willikers, I was joking. But not without an element of actual musical commentary. Artists who releases work on the Triple Inchophone are passionate and dedicated to more than just “audio fidelity and quality sound reproduction.”

chgc

Post by chgc » 08 Jul 2019 04:14

And the idea that crackle could be part of the work is not so far fetched. From Digital Signatures, The Impact of Digitization on Popular Music Sound: “this silence (digital noise floor) has inspired music makers to revisit older technologies because of the unavoidable noises that accompany them… noises (such as tape hiss or vinyl crackle) has enjoyed a rebirth.”

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 08 Jul 2019 14:27

I would return it. I bought a copy of Beggars Banquet by the Rolling Stones a while back and it was extremely noisy. The online seller gladly took it back and sent me a replacement. The replacement was fine.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 08 Jul 2019 19:53

Yikes, that escalated quickly....

Jack White is a very talented artist and obviously loves his music AND the fact that this vinyl has some cool features which I mentioned in the first post would even suggest that he is potentially a lover of vinyl, if that was his influence.

It’s not the first vinyl I’ve been disappointed with. I recently got the Game Of Thrones vinyl, lovely double pressing, but there was clearly something going on with one of the tracks (my fave track too). Some kind of hiss/crackle. I did contact the online seller in this case and all he offered was 20% back.

The Jack White vinyl was bought from HMV so I might take it back.

It’s such a tough hobby at times! I’d be happy to upgrade my equipment for better quality but who knows where to start! It could even be my speaker cable which is very old and was only a cheap one.

As for a quieter phono amp, I might see if my Richer Sounds have an open box model that I could maybe buy with the intention of returning for a brand new one IF i notice a difference.

I also came across Stereo Receivers the other day. I think I read that these are to use instead of an amp/receiver. Is that right? Would most “audiophiles” have one of these too?

Cheers!

chgc

Post by chgc » 08 Jul 2019 20:32

Jack White and the White Stripes are indeed champions of vinyl and I like their music.

Regarding the crackle, since the record is clean, have you checked the stylus?

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 08 Jul 2019 21:53

I’ve checked the stylus, yup. It really does sound terrible, muffled as well as lots of crackling. Just popped another record on which does seem fine so maybe it is the vinyl.

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 10 Jul 2019 13:55

As I've said elsewhere. I wet/RCM clean all my records before playing regardless of their origin. Before I did this I found some new records - Kate Bush 50 Words For Snow, as an example - sounded terrible and crackly. One clean helped - in the days I used a Knosti, two cleans made it listenable.

I think that sometimes the manufacturing and packing environments leave dirt in the grooves and only a very good, wet clean can shift it. YMMV, especially if the record is simply badly pressed or pressed with worn thingies.

Tombo62
United States of America

Post by Tombo62 » 10 Jul 2019 18:52

Hi mrjaffa,
If other records play fine, then there is nothing wrong with your system, and the problem is with the Jack White album. In most cases insistent "crackle" throughout the record, indicates dust in the grooves. The sink cleaning method with dish soap applied with a soft brush or painter's edging pad followed by a very through rinse and dry with soft cotton cloth, should have done the job. Some have reported an increase in surface noise when trace residues of soap were not thoroughly remove by rinsing. You may need to perfect your cleaning method. Another possibility is damage to the grooved surface. Hold the record directly under a bright light examine the surface.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 10 Jul 2019 23:08

Thanks guys. Returned it today anyhow just in case but they didn’t have another. Waiting for it to be ordered, I’ll sure let you how the replacement is.

Method of cleaning does seem one of the hottest topics around for vinyl, Ive watched so many YouTube videos and still don’t know which is best.

If there is a lot of static, does this cause the crackles? Or will that always be just the dust?