What do you use to replace Hepastat 256 in Europe ?

how clean is your house
georgesgiralt
France

What do you use to replace Hepastat 256 in Europe ?

Post by georgesgiralt » 01 Jul 2019 08:55

Hello,
I've devised a device to ultra sonic clean my records.
I've found IPA and Tween 20 (polysorbate ) to replace the Triton X100. But I can't find any Hepastat 256 quat cleaner in Europe. And people selling it in the USA are not willing to sell in Europe.
So what are you using in Great Britain and elsewhere in Europe to replace it ?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help !

vince1
United States of America

Re: What do you use to replace Hepastat 256 in Europe ?

Post by vince1 » 02 Jul 2019 11:53

Try Selgiene

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 06 Jul 2019 07:59

Thank you very much, Sir !

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 08 Jul 2019 12:03

No Problem. There are other options as well: Last time I met with folks in the field in Europe, they were using Cetrimide (n-cetyl pyridinium chloride). It isn't used much in the US, but it's an interesting quat, maybe you can find it locally. It is recommended at the International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (https://www.iasa-web.org/tc04/microgroo ... estoration)

Fleur1
Canada

Re: What do you use to replace Hepastat 256 in Canada ?

Post by Fleur1 » 28 Jul 2019 19:49

Hello Vince, Im a new subscriber to this room but saw your Triton100 recipe for a couple of years back. Around that time I was able to get my hands on some 100% stock Triton 100 but then got stuck on sourcing the quarternary ammonium. Not easy with this type of stuff here in Canada. Recently I've acquired some vinyl that's in desperate need of a good cleaning and want to give this Triton recipe another go.
I work in a medical setting and had a revalation! I realized I can access a surface cleaner/disinfectant that uses Quart Ammo, claims to be non corrosive and non staining (among other things). Only thing is, I have no understanding of the amount to use based on their ingredient percentages, in other words I really cant do the math :(
Product is called DisCide Ultra Disinfecting Spray and is a dual chain quaternary ammonium/high level alcohol solution.

Ingredients as listed on SDS:
n-alkyl (60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C12, 5% C18) dimenthyl benzyl ammonium chloride ….0.12%
n-alkyl (68% C12,2% C14) dimethyl ethyl benzyl ammonium chloride …………………..………..0.12%
Isopropyl alcohol...………………………………………………………………………………………………….…………...63.25%
Other ingredients (non-disclosed /protected by copyright) ……………..…….………………………...36.51%

1) Does this product look as tho it would be suitable as a replacement for the Hepastat 256 that I can not get here?
2) Are you able to help me out with the math? (quantities of dH2O / IPA / Triton / DisCide Ultra )
3) What would I be risking if I didn't use the QA ? I'm starting to think I ought to forget this ingredient and just move forward, its now been 1 or 2 years !

Any help you can offer would be hugely appreciated, this project has been a long time in the making and I finally feel as tho I'm making some headway. Hope to keep the momentum going. :)

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 30 Jul 2019 14:52

Hi Fleur. That is a dilute solution of quats, likely because it is a working stock (not a concentrate). So you would do only a 1:10 or 1:20 diltution, but would have to account for the alcohol content. Also, the fact that it doesn't list the other ingredients (about a third of the content) is troublesome since you aren't diluting these unknown agents out that much. You could try it on an old record and see what you get. Or, as you mention, just go without the quats. They are primarily included to combat issues with static, as a lubricant, and as a biocide. Folks have cleaned successfully with just non-ionic detergents like Triton or Tergitol for years.

Fleur1
Canada

Post by Fleur1 » 01 Aug 2019 14:56

Thank you Vince for deciphering this for me. I've decided to forgo the quat this go round, just get the vinyl clean and start enjoying the music. I will keep my eyes open for some local 256 options for the next clean up. Thanks again, really appreciate your advice and quick reply. :)

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 09 Aug 2019 08:18

Hello Vince,
I can't get my hand on Selgiene. The seller carrying it in Europe refuse to sell to an individual. And those willing to sell to me are unable (or refuse) to get some.
So for now on my shelf I've :
Tween 20 (polysorbate 20)
Enzystel enzymatic cleaner
Isopropilyc Alcool
"Distiled water" (water used for ironing clothes)
And I can borrow some of my wife products like the dish washing product...
I would like to get a recipe for cleaning the pile of records needing it !
Many thanks in advance for your help !
Have a bright day !