Danger of over-cleaning?

how clean is your house
Estragon64

Danger of over-cleaning?

Post by Estragon64 » 15 Jun 2019 23:10

Is it possible to clean a record too much or too often?

I run every newly acquired LP thru the Spin-Clean once, and after that, I only clean it again if it obviously needs it. This seems to be the usual recommendation. However, is it possible to damage a record if you clean it multiple times?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Danger of over-cleaning?

Post by circularvibes » 16 Jun 2019 00:17

If you use cleaning solutions that are essentially very dilute and non corrosive, I do not see why it would do harm on records made of vinyl. My question is why would one need to clean many times if the discs are handled properly? I do occassionaly have to reclean due to fingerprints, but that would be a light cleaning. I am slightly clumsy due to neuropathy and prefer fingerprints to dropping a record. If you have older records made of materials other than vinyl, over cleaning may do harm as chemicals can be removed or the surface taken off. I know a DJ who uses a lightly misted cloth to clean his records as he plays them and deep cleans them as necessary. His records seem to be okay after more than 25 years.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 16 Jun 2019 00:49

If you went crazytown and cleaned a vinyl record with water and solution - especially an alcohol based solution - like 5,000 times, could that cause some plasticizer to leach from the vinyl ? That would be the only danger I suppose.

Estragon64

Post by Estragon64 » 16 Jun 2019 01:13

Yeah, I really don't see how repeatedly cleaning a record using an accepted method could damage it. But you hear every opinion under the sun if you talk to audiophiles and vinyl lovers, so I thought it was worth asking.

I sometimes do repeat cleanings of a record if I play it A LOT, meaning dozens of times. It does seem to help freshen it up a bit.