Best record cleaner and anti static system???

how clean is your house
Kimbo2
United States of America

Best record cleaner and anti static system???

Post by Kimbo2 » 14 Jun 2019 03:36

I played vinyl from 77 to 89 and used Discwasher & zerostat to prepare records for playing. Both seemed to work very well. I no longer have either but just started playing vinyl again and am looking for comparable products, especially Zerostat for anti static. Searched on-line and neither product is available. What are good replacements? The Zerostat out there now has poor reviews.

H. callahan

Re: Best record cleaner and anti static system???

Post by H. callahan » 14 Jun 2019 04:38

There a two problems with a Zerostat:

It can fry the electronics of a turntable if the record is zapped while lying on the platter and when there are a lot of electronics inside the turntable, like with a direct-drive for example.

Though a Zerostat is capable of zero-ing statics on a record, the problem is that you don´t know what ammount of static charge the record has. Basically one had to somehow measure the static charge of the record and by that pull the trigger of the Zerostat to a certain degree to actually zero the charge of the record.
As one doesn´t know, zapping a record can result in even bigger ammount of static charge than before.

I havn´t tried myself but there is Gruvglide around for a long time, also capable of reducing statics due to reducing friction between stylus and groove - and by that also reducing wear of stylus and groove.

donovan

Post by donovan » 14 Jun 2019 11:20

The older used RED Discwasher Zerostat's are the ones to get. They are easier to use and more durable/reliable. Haven't used Gruvglide.

Kimbo2
United States of America

Post by Kimbo2 » 14 Jun 2019 17:04

Thanks for the response’s. My Zerostat was the Red one, which I used for years on my Sony PS4300. Never new about the risk to the TT electronics. Just brought the Sony out of 30 yr storage and it’s planning beautifully. Fingers crossed.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 14 Jun 2019 17:58

The ZeroStat gun has zero risk to internal components of the turntable. The platter acts as a huge shield, plus the plinth, then the circuit cards. I still have the entire set of Discwasher stuff, in the walnut stand. I haven't used any of it in 15 years. All of it still works. Still have the neon bulb tester for the ZeroStat, still works 4.0.

Guess I need to a video of how I eliminate/prevent static. Also, to clean records. I have used cellophane strips and Styrofoam to show the elimination of static; but when I describe how easy it is to get rid of static and prevent it, I get a lot of blowback. No carbon fiber brush is required, BTW.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 14 Jun 2019 18:45

wolfie62 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 17:58
The ZeroStat gun has zero risk to internal components of the turntable. The platter acts as a huge shield, plus the plinth, then the circuit cards. I still have the entire set of Discwasher stuff, in the walnut stand. I haven't used any of it in 15 years. All of it still works. Still have the neon bulb tester for the ZeroStat, still works 4.0.

Guess I need to a video of how I eliminate/prevent static. Also, to clean records. I have used cellophane strips and Styrofoam to show the elimination of static; but when I describe how easy it is to get rid of static and prevent it, I get a lot of blowback. No carbon fiber brush is required, BTW.
What he said.

Kimbo2
United States of America

Post by Kimbo2 » 14 Jun 2019 20:55

Great info Wolfe, you have a better cleaning system now than the old school Discwasher?
How do you deal with static?

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 14 Jun 2019 21:03

Moisture is enemy of static buildup and existing static charge. That’s why you don’t get a carpet shock in summer, but do in winter. Just a hint....

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 14 Jun 2019 21:49

I have GruvGlide, but I only use it on scratchy/worn records; it's slimy and I have to clean off the cartridge body afterwards.

I used a Discwasher back in those halcyon days, and I still so, but in a different manner. Today I clean the disc using an ultrasonic machine, then dry it using a microfiber cloth, and I try to do that in the morning when the humidity is highest. When I play the disc, I spritz it with eyeglass lens cleaner from WallyMart, then hit the grooves with the discwasher - not to clean it, but to de-static it.

this process has been working very well for me. We're below 30% humidity in the afternoon now and I'm not getting any static from the record, nor any grunge off of the stylus after playing it.

Oh yeah I got rid of the OEM felt mat and bought a cork one. helped a lot....

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 14 Jun 2019 23:06

I have been a faithful user of the Knosti Disco-Antistat system for six years. Not only does it do a pretty good job of cleaning records, it removes any static charge (and this does not depend on your using the supplied cleaning solution - which I would recommend against - because I use a home-brewed cleaning solution and it still rids the records of static). I am now on my second set, and I use the tub from the original for a distilled-water rinse.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 18 Jun 2019 12:33

I'm getting tired of saying it, but simply wash with a quaternary ammonium surfactant. Cleans, disinfects, and protects against static buildup. Best method is to do this using an ultrasonic tank followed by vacuum drying.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 18 Jun 2019 13:48

vince1 wrote:
18 Jun 2019 12:33
I'm getting tired of saying it, but simply wash with a quaternary ammonium surfactant. Cleans, disinfects, and protects against static buildup. Best method is to do this using an ultrasonic tank followed by vacuum drying.
Then don’t say it any more.

It’s not the best, not the fastest, not the the most cost effective either.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 18 Jun 2019 15:12

wolfie62 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 21:03
Moisture is enemy of static buildup and existing static charge. That’s why you don’t get a carpet shock in summer, but do in winter. Just a hint....
and why we get static charges all year.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 18 Jun 2019 15:17

dysmike wrote:
18 Jun 2019 15:12
wolfie62 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 21:03
and why we get static charges all year.
And why you get static charges all year, but I don’t.

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 18 Jun 2019 19:52

wolfie62 wrote:
18 Jun 2019 13:48
vince1 wrote:
18 Jun 2019 12:33
Then don’t say it any more.

It’s not the best, not the fastest, not the the most cost effective either.
And what is?