Water, deionized water and distilled water...

how clean is your house
georgesgiralt
France

Water, deionized water and distilled water...

Post by georgesgiralt » 19 Apr 2019 10:10

Hello !
I'm still making analog photography now only B&W and process it myself since I'm a kid.
Long ago I learned a trick to have very good water for photography (no lime, no organic material and no chemicals).
The trick is to boil drinking water. Above 60°C the lime deposit itself on the kettle body and the organic material present is cooked and deposited at the bottom of the kettle if the water is left cooling. Filter it on a paper filter and you have a very decent purified water. (in the drinking water there are no nasty chemicals and the amount of various chemicals is monitored and kept under an acceptable level (at least in Europe ) so you depart from a quite good water and boiling it make it better !
Just my 2¢
P.S. : I forgot to add that boiling *also* remove soluble gases present in the water !

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Water, deionized water and distilled water...

Post by pivot » 19 Apr 2019 15:47

With a gallon of distilled water costing $1 here, fussing about with boiling and filtering seems excessive. If you are somewhere distilled water is difficult to purchase, maybe it is worthwhile.

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 20 Apr 2019 04:44

Deionized water $0.39 or something like that for a gallon at Whole Foods vending machine.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 20 Apr 2019 05:56

You could always also install a Reverse Osmosis system in your home. Resulting water is quite suitable for record cleaning and cost per gallon is negligible.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 20 Apr 2019 10:03

So your gallon of de-ionized water has no gas dissolved in it and no organic material from contamination or transport.
You're lucky ;-)
I'm not trying to deter you from using such water, I'm just stating that you can achieve pretty much the same at home with tap water.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 20 Apr 2019 13:29

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 21 Apr 2019 23:28

georgesgiralt wrote:
20 Apr 2019 10:03
So your gallon of de-ionized water has no gas dissolved in it and no organic material from contamination or transport.
You're lucky ;-)
I'm not trying to deter you from using such water, I'm just stating that you can achieve pretty much the same at home with tap water.
Boiling tap water is not even close to being 'pretty much the same' as distilled water...

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 22 Apr 2019 17:09

Distilled is not at all the same as deionized.

Boiling and condensing the steam is distilled. But it can contain dissolved ions. This is a concern when using water to cool electronics. Distilled water may still be conducive due to dissolved ions. Deionized water removes these.

Reverse osmosis does a good job removing the ions but in order to preserve filter life, it is suggested you distill prior to R-O.

For record cleaning, distilled is fine.