Enzymatic formula versus regular Brew

how clean is your house
Vagante

Enzymatic formula versus regular Brew

Post by Vagante » 18 Apr 2019 01:51

I have been buying quite a few used records and I'm finding that the enzymatic formula from AI works much better than the regular formula or Homebrew. I've been using the regular on records that look pretty clean and the enzymatic on anything that looks dirty. I'm wondering if it makes a difference if I just went to straight enzymatic on all record cleaning including new records. Any downside?
Using an older nitty-gritty machine if that makes any difference.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Enzymatic formula versus regular Brew

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 18 Apr 2019 02:29

Less an endorsement than a simple observation, but I truly wish there was some consensus on the whole record cleaning solution dialogue. Enzymatic may have definite benefits in some applications, along with virtually every other concoction presented as the current must have to deal with whatever is on your newly acquired records. And that is the problem as I see it....there is no way of accurately knowing what may be lurking in the tracks of your prized possessions. My worst concern and problem is the myriad solutions that may have been used by previous owners of used albums, which seem to leave a broad array of contaminants I have to somehow remove from my new to me records. Some clean up easily, others take several cleanings to become acceptably clean. Enzymatic will certainly be effective to deal with organic deposits on albums, but grit, grime, various chemical residues and coatings will require other applications of different solutions. I still rely on an isopropyl alcohol/water solution with a few drops of detergent and some anti-static solution to do most of my cleaning, because it is simple, inexpensive, and at least 95% effective. This whole thing has gotten so much more complicated than the original record producers could have ever imagined. [-o<

Shadowman82

Re: Enzymatic formula versus regular Brew

Post by Shadowman82 » 20 Apr 2019 22:24

The downside of working with enzymatic solutions maybe that you have to leave them on the record for a while to work properly . In any case I have never used them , I use VPI concentrate plus a little iso-alcohol